Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121315 ... LastLast

Thread: CZ 958 UPDATE Jan 2016

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by oddball_ted View Post
    It wont be the year of the magazine either as the RCMP plan on making 2016 "the year of the magazine" ... presumably tackling the LAR mags, beowulf etc... according to a few sources from their firearms lab.
    It's not up to the RCMP, if the law allowed it, they would have done it long time ago. The C-17 would have to re-written.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer TV-PressPass's Avatar
    Well sheeeeit. Is there any chance we'll see some of those Evo 3s?

CZ's action is profit-driven. Absolutely terrible treatment of a repeat customer by CZ.

The 958 effort was started by Wolverine due to the 858 mess CZ heaped upon Canadian gun owners.
    Thank you John for your hard work on this. Hopefully the 958 will still come into production.

Would the Czech Small Arms company be able to take your design and mass produce it?
    Chrome-lined barrels could be an option too.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer starpuss's Avatar
    Did You At least Kick Them in the balls for that???

Quote Originally Posted by xxwaspxx View Post

The 958 issue is disappointing but realistically there's no reason for them to pump out any now that the 858's are back to NR status. If they were to start producing 958's then they'd also have to deal with any of the new QC/function issues that are bound to arise (as they do with any new production gun). It's easier and more profitable for them to stick with the tried and true 858's. Also, anyone peddling the "Trudough gon tek r gunz" sh*t is a moron. Yeah, given the opportunity the Liberal government will throw up some anti-gun legislation but until a mass shooting happens they won't have the political capital to carry it out. What you all need to do is keep emailing/calling your local MPs and letting them know how you feel (without sounding like an idiot).
    There will only be one last shipment of 400 CZ 858 rifles and then no more! It's not only a question of which model is more profitable for CZ, it is also their (CZ) priority of production, the US is a far greater market than Canada.

This is pretty disappointing news. Having already invested several hundred dollars in things for my future CZ 958, it's a pretty crappy day.

I do understand it's not really Wolverine's fault, and I know nothing about how these sales contracts work, especially with international manufacturers. That said, given how the news was delivered (indirectly at a trade show) I feel there must have never been an actual contract to begin with.

I'm going to sell all my accessories at a heavy loss, I'm out of this platform.

Quote Originally Posted by RideauBound View Post
    This is pretty disappointing news. Having already invested several hundred dollars in things for my future CZ 958, it's a pretty crappy day.

I do understand it's not really Wolverine's fault, and I know nothing about how these sales contracts work, especially with international manufacturers. That said, given how the news was delivered (indirectly at a trade show) I feel there must have never been an actual contract to begin with.

I will try and exert some pressure on CZ at IWA show in March, I am not optimistic on the outcome. Maybe don't sell for a few weeks, just a suggestion, no promises I can gets things changed, but I never give up, just not in my nature.

Just get a 858, if you can't get a brand new one in this next shipment, get a near new one off the EE or brand new Csa. Just cause the 958 may not come for a while why give up on the platform? It's still the best option for $1000 and under we have here in Canada for a non restricted military type service rifle. If your main selling point for the 958 was the full rail then there are options for the 858 as well (railed dust cover, magwedge kwik rail).
    Quote Originally Posted by RideauBound View Post

You make good points, and I do agree that the vz 58 platform is one of the better options for NR in Canada. I don't want to deviate the discussion too much but for me personally it doesn't make sense anymore.

1) There are third party rail mounts available, but I don't want to jury-rig a franken-rifle, I could do that much cheaper with an SKS. I wanted something that I could conveniently mount long variable power optics on with a factory setup, similar to TV-PressPass's preview a while back.
    2) What's the outlook on aftermarket support for the 958, or for that matter the 858 once the final batch comes in? Will CZ have replacement parts available? Warranty service? Given their attitude towards these products I’m not too sure.
    3) The 858 has already been a target for reclassification, the 958 was going to fix that. But it's missing in action. I know we have no guarantees, but I’ll take whatever ‘insurance’ I can get, and the 958 redesign at least helped in that respect.

If this comment is entirely off topic, I apologize and please feel free to delete it.

As a closing remark I do want to thank Wolverine for working so hard on this project, I'm sure the entire community appreciates their efforts, as do I.

CGN Regular
    Seems to be a lot of dealers who get into the habit of counting their chickens before they hatch.....now you're probably months if not years away from getting more 858's on your shelf.