Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151618 ... LastLast

Thread: CZ 958 UPDATE Jan 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Grawfr View Post
    Thanks for all your time and efforts, Mr. Wolverine.

This might make me reconsider the choice of owning a 7.63x39 platform, sadly. I don't want a 60 years old commbloc-quality-control-level surplus rifle I have to tinker with to make shoot straight or carry a scope, I'm not fond of the Ruger mini-30 and I don't want to pay 2000$ or more for a SCAR.

Gonna have to do more research. vz58 perhhaps... if I can find one.
    Yeah so.. noooo....

Your not going to own a scar.
    A cz 858 is twice the rifle the vz 58 is (I own both)

I dont really know if "tinkering" will make anything shoot straight.
    I can shoot coyotes at 300 yrds all day with my cz

This might make me reconsider the choice of owning a 7.63x39 platform, sadly. I don't want a 60 years old commbloc-quality-control-level surplus rifle I have to tinker with to make shoot straight or carry a scope, I'm not fond of the Ruger mini-30 and I don't want to pay 2000$ or more for a SCAR.

The cz 858 is the ultimate rifle in 7.62x39 your not going
    To get anything better than that.

I own 5 7.62x39 rifles and the 858 rules over all

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar

So one rifle that appears old but built by CZ isn't your thing, but the same rifle with a different look built by CZ is? You think the vz58 is different than the cz858?

Scar is prohibited BTW.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

Quote Originally Posted by C18cz858 View Post
    Yeah so.. noooo....

Your not going to own a scar.
    A cz 858 is twice the rifle the vz 58 is (I own both)

I dont really know if "tinkering" will make anything shoot straight.
    I can shoot coyotes at 300 yrds all day with my cz
    How is the Vz58 different than the CZ858?

Cheaper/weaker metals, design flaws

Quote Originally Posted by Donster 125 View Post
    How is the Vz58 different than the CZ858?
    The cz 858s were at one time full auto battle proven rifles.
    The csa are new production century arms style rifles.

I have a csa and I love it. But tons of misfires and fte
    And its not the ammo because i run the same ammo in my cz and no problems. Bolt shatteted into pieces from oversized gas ports.
    So I needed warrenty work. And now I have to deal with north sylia which sucks
    Compared to movie arms.

And the cz was 200 dollars cheaper and has none of those issues.
    Only diwnfsll was dealing with the reclassification. But that didnt really affect me

Quote Originally Posted by C18cz858 View Post
    The cz 858s were at one time full auto battle proven rifles.
    The csa are new production century arms style rifles.

I have a csa and I love it. But tons of misfires and fte
    And its not the ammo because i run the same ammo in my cz and no problems. Bolt shatteted into pieces from oversized gas ports.
    So I needed warrenty work. And now I have to deal with north sylia which sucks
    Compared to movie arms.

And the cz was 200 dollars cheaper and has none of those issues.
    Only diwnfsll was dealing with the reclassification. But that didnt really affect me
    i really appreciate the quick break-down. thank you!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    Same gun. The cz858 were not surplus rifles. They were parts kits installed into semi auto receivers. Only difference is which way the safety flicks.

Some were built onto full auto receivers that were never assembled into full auto. These models were approved as semi auto by the lab, but then they changed their mind and said because the receivers were intended to be full auto when made, that they were converted auto. Having never fired a shot.

C42 made those NR again.

Either way, the cz858 isn't a surplus ex military gun. It was made from parts from military surplus.

Like taking a really military AR upper and putting it on a civilian semi auto lower. Not the same as full surplus gun. Csa has had some quality control issues, but that isn't synonymous with the whole brand. My 223 and 7.62x39 guns have thousands or rounds each with no issues.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

The CZ858s were all built onto full auto receivers. They had blocks welded into them to prevent installation of a full auto sear. The only difference between the ones that got reclassed and the ones that weren't is that the RCMP asserts that the reclassed ones were once assembled as full auto rifles, then disassembled, modified and reassembled as semi auto. There is no practical difference between the ones that were left alone and the reclassified ones. It was just due to our ridiculous "once a full auto, always a full auto" laws. The 18.5" barrels were newly manufactured for the Canadian market.
    We stand on guard for thee.

Quote Originally Posted by fenceline View Post
    So one rifle that appears old but built by CZ isn't your thing, but the same rifle with a different look built by CZ is? You think the vz58 is different than the cz858?

Scar is prohibited BTW.
    Fenceline: if I'm going to spend about a thousand on a rifle and rather more than that (over time) on ammunition to feed the darling Natasha, damned right its looks matter!

I definitely have to scope my guns, it's a matter of eyesight. I was very much looking forward to the 958 for how easy it would be to scope that one, and I liked the looks of the 958 better that that of the 858. The side mounts for scopes just don't enthuse me as much for some reason. BTW, I did a mistake when writing earlier: I said SCAR, but what I meant was the XCR. Sorry!

Been doing some more research, and it's looking bleak, quite possibly because I'm looking for a unicorn. I do not want a restricted semi-auto that I can only take to the range (that is an absolute requirement), so no AR-15 platforms for me. That kinda restricts the models available, as far as I can find out: SKS/M56/Type 59, Vz.58/CZ 858, Valmet, Ruger Mini-30, Robinson Arms XCR... if you know other common models I may have missed in the list, by all means tell me!

- My problem with the SKS and Mini-30 is simply that I dislike their looks. Irrational, I know, but I never got a 10/22 for that exact reason (and no, I'm not gonna spend hundreds "dressing them up").

- My problem with the Robinson Arm XCR or the Valmet is simply their cost. If I used it professionally, I'd pass that as a business expense, eh?

So it looks like it's either the vz.58/CZ 858 or nothing, sigh... and I'm going to be competing with the buying frenzy when the "end of production" lot come in. And I do have concerns about spare pieces, if the production of 858 is actually ending.

I'll just have to think on it for a while.