Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161719 ... LastLast

Thread: CZ 958 UPDATE Jan 2016

There's the T97. Non-restricted, semi-auto and probably in your price range.
    We stand on guard for thee.

T97 comes in 7.62x39? Thanks, I'll look it up!

Nope. Sorry, you didn't mention in your list that your were only talking about that calibre. Sorry to disappoint.
    We stand on guard for thee.

Quote Originally Posted by Grawfr View Post
    Fenceline: if I'm going to spend about a thousand on a rifle and rather more than that (over time) on ammunition to feed the darling Natasha, damned right its looks matter!

I definitely have to scope my guns, it's a matter of eyesight. I was very much looking forward to the 958 for how easy it would be to scope that one, and I liked the looks of the 958 better that that of the 858. The side mounts for scopes just don't enthuse me as much for some reason. BTW, I did a mistake when writing earlier: I said SCAR, but what I meant was the XCR. Sorry!

Been doing some more research, and it's looking bleak, quite possibly because I'm looking for a unicorn. I do not want a restricted semi-auto that I can only take to the range (that is an absolute requirement), so no AR-15 platforms for me. That kinda restricts the models available, as far as I can find out: SKS/M56/Type 59, Vz.58/CZ 858, Valmet, Ruger Mini-30, Robinson Arms XCR... if you know other common models I may have missed in the list, by all means tell me!

- My problem with the SKS and Mini-30 is simply that I dislike their looks. Irrational, I know, but I never got a 10/22 for that exact reason (and no, I'm not gonna spend hundreds "dressing them up").

- My problem with the Robinson Arm XCR or the Valmet is simply their cost. If I used it professionally, I'd pass that as a business expense, eh?

So it looks like it's either the vz.58/CZ 858 or nothing, sigh... and I'm going to be competing with the buying frenzy when the "end of production" lot come in. And I do have concerns about spare pieces, if the production of 858 is actually ending.

I'll just have to think on it for a while.
    You can pick a xcr- m x39 used for like $1500 on ee sometimes
    I got an acr in x39 and its amazing. But really expensive. The cz 958 is cool but
    Kinda gay u need a allen key to take the upper off or atleast that what it looks
    Like, correct me if im wrong

C18cv858, thanks! The reason I wouldn't buy a used firearm is the same one I wouldn't buy a used car or a used cell phone. Great value, but you have to trust the seller about how much wear there is really on the barrel and action (oh, you bought a $1200 rifle three years ago but only shot sixty rounds through it? Cool!) unless you have an handy armorer in your back pocket. It's a perfectly valid acquisition strategy, mind you, it's just one that require expertise I don't have on hand.

You said ACR, not XCR? I must have missed something, I looked at the Bushmaster and didn't see a 7.62x39 option?

You're correct about the need for allen keys for removing the cover of the 958: it was the price to pay for a cover that would be firmly attached and hold its zero, at that price point. There's something about that in the last video from Wolverine Supplies. I wasn't too worried about it: I was not planning a full ammonia wash after every shoot of corrosive. Just the chamber, exposed parts of the bolt and down the barrel. I figure the 0.1% of hydrophile salts that might make it to the rear of the bolt could wait well enough for a monthly cleanup, and that if I took minimum care of those screws (no forcing or overtightening), they would last through a hundred cycles... meaning easily 10-12 years of shooting.

I was really, really looking forward to that 958, sigh... I might go for the 858 Canadian, perhaps. I'll see once I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by C18cz858 View Post
    The cz 858s were at one time full auto battle proven rifles.
    The csa are new production century arms style rifles.

I have a csa and I love it. But tons of misfires and fte
    And its not the ammo because i run the same ammo in my cz and no problems. Bolt shatteted into pieces from oversized gas ports.
    So I needed warrenty work. And now I have to deal with north sylia which sucks
    Compared to movie arms.

And the cz was 200 dollars cheaper and has none of those issues.
    Only diwnfsll was dealing with the reclassification. But that didnt really affect me

Is the vz 58 worth buying.

Quote Originally Posted by winchester1852 View Post
    Is the vz 58 worth buying.
    Have heard that was only an issue with early 5.56 and not the 7.62... would love a real 858 over a csa but it doesn't look like people have an option at this point... wonder how quickly the 400 they are bringing in are going to go... I give it a week at most.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Patt08's Avatar
    I've had both 5.56 CSA( over gas issue but fixed and worked amazing) and a x39 CSA. Great little guns.
    |CCFR|

Quote Originally Posted by Albguy40 View Post
    Have heard that was only an issue with early 5.56 and not the 7.62... would love a real 858 over a csa but it doesn't look like people have an option at this point... wonder how quickly the 400 they are bringing in are going to go... I give it a week at most.
    I've been thinking about getting one for awhile now. I guess nows the time.

Still hope to see whatever comes to market sooner rather then later.
    “Hoplophobia is a mental disturbance characterized by irrational aversion to weapons, as opposed to justified apprehension about those who may wield them.” - Jeff Cooper