Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IPSC Open division - STI Trubor or Matchmaster?

CGN Regular
    North of Oakbank, South of Selkirk, West of Beausejour
    I have both guns. They both feel different while firing, but the results from each are very close. The longer barrel of the Trubor does feel smoother for dot tracking. You can shoot medium loads, but not minor loads with the t2 barrel as it will not cycle if the load is too low. Typically you would need a 145 PF or greater to get consistent results. Some guns will need 160PF loads to cycle and you would normally see better results with higher PF loads using slower burning powders for dot tracking.

I have both 9mm and 38s barrels for both guns. 38s feels better than 9mm, but during testing the results are nearly identical when scoring. I don't feel so bad when I leave lots of 9mm brass behind when shooting outdoors; you can loose a lot of brass in the grass. $30-40/1000 is better than buying new 38s at $250/1000!

I wear size 8 gloves. The 2011 grips don't really fit my hands well, but like everything, you will get used to them. I did reduce one of the grips, but after 2 years I can barely tell the difference when using a regular grip. I recently installed a short trigger, but I may end up using the standard one as I like my finger positions better for quicker splits. Make sure you get a thumb rest installed and learn to use it!

You gotta pay to play, but the STI guns typically have less breakdowns than the other brands.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    more great info thanks jeff

Quote Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
    I have both guns. They both feel different while firing, but the results from each are very close. The longer barrel of the Trubor does feel smoother for dot tracking. You can shoot medium loads, but not minor loads with the t2 barrel as it will not cycle if the load is too low. Typically you would need a 145 PF or greater to get consistent results. Some guns will need 160PF loads to cycle and you would normally see better results with higher PF loads using slower burning powders for dot tracking.

I have both 9mm and 38s barrels for both guns. 38s feels better than 9mm, but during testing the results are nearly identical when scoring. I don't feel so bad when I leave lots of 9mm brass behind when shooting outdoors; you can loose a lot of brass in the grass. $30-40/1000 is better than buying new 38s at $250/1000!

I wear size 8 gloves. The 2011 grips don't really fit my hands well, but like everything, you will get used to them. I did reduce one of the grips, but after 2 years I can barely tell the difference when using a regular grip. I recently installed a short trigger, but I may end up using the standard one as I like my finger positions better for quicker splits. Make sure you get a thumb rest installed and learn to use it!

You gotta pay to play, but the STI guns typically have less breakdowns than the other brands.

Freedom Ventures - CGN Sponsor Freedom Ventures's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    My question was it would seem the steel master might be a bit of a slower seller because the match,aster can handle all loads that function
    The steelmasters sell just fine - there's steel challenge shooting in western Canada and they also sell to people who just want a cool optic-comp'ed 9mm gun that can shoot factory ammo.

Like the MustangFrank said - the 1-10 is regarding caliber (38 vs 9) and not gun models.

Minor loads in the matchmaster may not cycle the gun properly but would medium loads work the action properly as I am unsure of major loads until I try one
    I've seen IVI 9mm (notoriously hot ammo) which PF's around 150 cycle a matchmaster so you should be able to find something under major PF that would work.

Happy to answer questions anytime - that's what our forum is here for.

Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/freedom.ventures.92
    Follow us on Instagram at https://instagram.com/freedom_ventures/

Please do not PM- email us at sales@freedomventures.ca

www.freedomventures.ca (902) 455-5483

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Ventures View Post
    You can be reloading for 90 years - major 9 is major 9 whoever you are...and the Steelmaster is not set up for major loads; using it as shipped with major loads will beat the crap out of it.
    Customization would be required and you'd need to seek the advice & talents of a custom pistolmith for that info / work.

If you're going to shoot major 9 - our recommendation is to get a trubor or matchmaster - they're built for it.

I don't understand what you're asking in the second question, sorry...

Jefferson,

Please take FV words as gospel. Not knowing your experience at using/loading minor and major loads, I feel compelled to emphasize: do not attempt to shoot "major" loads out of gun not purpose built for it. The hell with beating up the gun or the warranty: it is hazardous, actually life threatening to the shooter and bystanders.

As far as which gun and PF is best for you, I would suggest to clearly define the intended uses. This should steer you to the better decision. For casual plinking, it may be wiser to stick to 9mm minor (commercial loads). If looking at muzzle flip and recoil reduction for faster follow-up shots (like for IPSC shooting), I think "major" guns like Trubor or DVC are most certainly the way to go.
    Last edited by UR2X3M4ME; 12-27-2016 at 12:39 PM. Reason: rewording
    Quote Originally Posted by DrXenon View Post
    What do you need a brake on a 5.56mm firearm for? You should just slip a maxipad under your bra strap to dampen the hellish recoil.
    Spock to Kirk:
    "Logic dictates Captain. If Pro-Gunners are as violent as Anti-Gunners say they are, there would not be any Anti-Gunners left."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I bought a used comp or open gun from a local shooter in a STI then I bought a USPSA STI in a rare 38 super that I might get them to put a 9mm barrel onto, brand new in the box, nice gun with nice rear serrations and grips

will buy stuff form them in the future as they were nice enough to spend a few minutes with me on the phone to explain stuff,

wish they were closer may have to send them a Xmas card

this thread was very helpful along my journey
    and thanks UR 2 times the good advice

Jefferson
    Life is too short.

I can shoot minor loads no problem out of my Match Master.
    with great power comes great responsibility.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123