Beginner Handgun for IPSC

bWONGER

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
Hello everyone,

This is my first post of CGN. I am looking to get into IPSC this year and I was looking to buy a budget pistol. I'm torn between a few of the cheaper models and I was wondering which would be the best for my needs.

I'm looking at either the Norinco NP22, Norinco NP29, or the Smith & Wessone SD9VE; all chambered in 9mm.

Anyone have any experience with any of these firearms and give me an opinion on them? Any other recommendations? Looking to spend around $400.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

First off, welcome.

I'd take a real close look at the M&P9 range kit. Since you'll have to get a holster, mag pouches, and some extra mags anyway, this kit is a great starting point without spending much. Plus, the pistol is far nicer than the others you mentioned. I had an SD9VE and even with the Apex kit in it the trigger was really long. Great to learn on and develop a good trigger press, but would be tough for competition. Just my two cents. You can usually find the M&P range kits on the EE and prices are really reasonable.

+1.... but make sure you save for ammo because you're going to shoot lots of it in IPSC, unless you plan on being an occasional shooter.

Welcome,

Another great option for a budget 9mm is the IWI Jericho 941 (Baby Eagle) range kit. Only big drawback is finding any aftermarket support. They shoot great, they've got almost no recoil, and they're very easy to learn with. Keep in mind I do not shoot IPSC, I just put a lot of rounds down range in Edmonton at the Phoenix Indoor Range using that firearm.

Hello everyone,

This is my first post of CGN. I am looking to get into IPSC this year and I was looking to buy a budget pistol. I'm torn between a few of the cheaper models and I was wondering which would be the best for my needs.

I'm looking at either the Norinco NP22, Norinco NP29, or the Smith & Wessone SD9VE; all chambered in 9mm.

Anyone have any experience with any of these firearms and give me an opinion on them? Any other recommendations? Looking to spend around $400.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

Those are all very different pistols. 1911 clone, Sig 226 clone, striker fired. The only thing in common is the low end price. Watch videos on the different gun types. Watch IPSC videos. You do get what you pay for so consider saving up. Better choices exist in the $600-900 range, or consider used.

If I was you I would take a look at a CZ-75B. They are a good accurate handgun and are incredibly reliable and well built judging from what I've read. The magazines are a little pricey though. Probably could get whole package for IPSC under $1000 if you look long enough.

If you go the budget route for IPSC, you may be regretting your choice as opposed to spending a bit more $ but ending up with a much better IPSC experience. You also have to consider the additional IPSC items to budget for (proper rig setup including holster, belt, mag pouches & extra magazines).

cz sp01 shadow. , low recoil, extremely reliable , very accuracte, out of the box its good to go and with a trigger job its amazing. i dont have one but they are good, another is the grand power K100 xtrim or the xcalibur. i have the xcal, low recoil and accurate. :) also has adjustable backstraps so it fits my hands pretty well. dont get a glock, dont get a m&p, dont get a H&K , dont get a beretta. SP01 shadow or Grand power K100 xtrim/ xcalibur. Tanfoglio stock 3 is good also but parts are bit harder to source. cz parts are everywhere.

The CZ's have a reputation as a so-called "cheater gun" in production by jealous types. Buy one if you can.
If you're going budget mode then get the norinco sig clone and find a way to secure 4-5 extra mags for it. Having a decocker helps in IPSC, trust me.

Hello and welcome. The cost of the pistol/belt/magazines/mag pouches are small and fixed compared to the on-going cost of ammo/match fees and travel to out of town matches. CZ's are popular with production division competitors. Try and find a used CZ Shadow, Shadow Line, CZ 85C (combat) or even a CZ 75B. All in 9mm of course. Also look at Classic division if you want to have a 1911, single action pistol.

Last edited:
I was about to start a thread about this, but since it's here, might as well drop my question

Since I want to get into practical shooting as well, I want to know how the Browning Hi-Power would fare in the IPSC?

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

I'm still looking into which division to start shooting in, but by the looks of it I will save up for a bit longer and look into the CZ.

Everyone seems to be saying good things about them so I will definitely go to my local store and check it out!

I was about to start a thread about this, but since it's here, might as well drop my question

Since I want to get into practical shooting as well, I want to know how the Browning Hi-Power would fare in the IPSC?
The BHP can't be used in production division (first shot must be double action or striker fired). Can't be used in Classic division because its not based on the 1911 platform. You can use it in other divisions but you will not be competitive (shooting minor against standard and open guns shooting major power factor). Think 'race guns'.
Before anyone says it, yes the BHP is available in .40 S&W but one would still be handy capped in standard and open division.

Last edited:
The BHP can't be used in production division (first shot must be double action or striker fired). Can't be used in Classic division because its not based on the 1911 platform. You can use it in other divisions but you will not be competitive (shooting minor against standard and open guns shooting major power factor). Think 'race guns'.
Before anyone says it, yes the BHP is available in .40 S&W but one would still be handy capped in standard and open division.

Ahh, that's going to be a little problematic for me since the only handguns I really want are single-action.

Ahh, that's going to be a little problematic for me since the only handguns I really want are single-action.
Single action in Classic, Standard and Open divisions. You just can't use your Browning in Production division. But there are no reasons you can't use your BHP on the Black Badge course.

If you go the budget route for IPSC, you may be regretting your choice as opposed to spending a bit more $ but ending up with a much better IPSC experience. You also have to consider the additional IPSC items to budget for (proper rig setup including holster, belt, mag pouches & extra magazines).

^^ wise words... Not to mention a small fortune in ammo.

It's also worth mentioning that (in my rather limited experience) many, many people shoot production. Shooting standard may not be as bad as it sounds, there's not much variety in production because you must pick from the list. Production seems to be glock, cz, sig, glock, sig, cz, cz, sig, tanfoglio, sig, sig.
Does anyone else agree or am I just crazy?

There's a Grand Power Mk 7 X-caliber on EE right now at a great price. If I didn't already have two of them I would definitely have bought it :). Having a lot of fun with them at lPSC and USPSA matches.

Back
Top Bottom