P7M8 legal inquiry

paulfist

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Hi All,

I would like to know how I can prove the HK P7M8 is legal to import into Canada to a US broker?

They are keepping telling me this is the one less 105mm barrel size and prohibitate to import into Canada.

Anyone has a clue how I can prove this one is legal to have in Canada?

Paul

Well, that is not the thing they can believe, the broker keep saying need reach 106mm or 4.14". And refuse to import it for me. Is there any way I can persuad them to believe ?

Due to the fixed barrel of the P7M8, the measurement of the barrel is to the breech face. It actually exceeds the 105mm needed and is a restricted firearm. I had my P7M8, which was registered as a prohib, verified myself as a restricted by using a digital caliper and submitting the photos to the RCMP lab. It was accepted.
Don't quote me but I believe the FRT# for the P7M8 actually classifies it as a restricted firearm. Someone more knowledgeable may be able to provide more info on that.

Americans measure barrel length from the start of the rifling(end of the chamber)

This is the way the RCMP measures barrel length(Start of the chamber)

Criminal Code section 84:

Barrel length
(2) For the purposes of this Part, the length of a barrel of a firearm is
(a) in the case of a revolver, the distance from the muzzle of the barrel to the breach end immediately in front of the cylinder, and
(b) in any other case, the distance from the muzzle of the barrel to and including the chamber,

If measured the Canadian way the barrel may be over 105mm maybe some P7M8 owners can verify this.

Americans measure barrel length from the start of the rifling(end of the chamber)

This is the way the RCMP measures barrel length(Start of the chamber)

Criminal Code section 84:

Barrel length
(2) For the purposes of this Part, the length of a barrel of a firearm is
(a) in the case of a revolver, the distance from the muzzle of the barrel to the breach end immediately in front of the cylinder, and
(b) in any other case, the distance from the muzzle of the barrel to and including the chamber,

If measured the Canadian way the barrel may be over 105mm maybe some P7M8 owners can verify this.

No they don't. That's the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time. The ATF measures barrel length from closed bolt face to the end on the barrel, including any and all permanently attached devices. They use the same "wooden dowel down the bore" method that we do.

A local verifier has successfully gained reclassification on P7M8s including one that was originally transferred to me as a 12(6) Prohib. This leaves me wondering why the RCMP do not reclassify them automatically. On the other hand, better quickly buy another 12(6) if your P7M8 is your only grandfathered 12(6) handgun.

Well, I don't know if it is works, but I let the seller took picture, and sent it to firearmident@rcmp-grc.gc.ca for verify, the officer said it is ok, so i believe I'm good to purchase and import now.

BTW, if this is good, so the P7M10, P7M13 is also good to import, right?

Paul

Hi All,

I would like to know how I can prove the HK P7M8 is legal to import into Canada to a US broker?

They are keepping telling me this is the one less 105mm barrel size and prohibitate to import into Canada.

Anyone has a clue how I can prove this one is legal to have in Canada?

Paul

Is it too late to find another broker that knows what they are doing?

Due to the fixed barrel of the P7M8, the measurement of the barrel is to the breech face. It actually exceeds the 105mm needed and is a restricted firearm. I had my P7M8, which was registered as a prohib, verified myself as a restricted by using a digital caliper and submitting the photos to the RCMP lab. It was accepted

Same for me!:)

Back
Top Bottom