importing scopes from the USA for dummies

yodave

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
412   0   0
It is painless and easy, no disrespect to our supporting dealers on this page but sometimes something comes up down south that you cannot obtain here in canada.

so just how easy is it? so simple it hurts, firstly find an optic that tickles your fancy and make contact with the seller, explain to him that you are in canada but you're interested in buying a scope and having it shipped to Prophet River Firearms USA FFL dealer Leroy in Montana. If they agree that they can and will do that then make the purchase and ask for the serial number of the scope and a tracking number of the package.

Go to Prophet River Firearms page and click on the importing a firearm link, here you can import barrels and optics for $50.oo per item, in the notes part of the form include the make and model of the scope as well as the serial number and submit the form, then sit and wait.

The great folks at Prophet River will take care of your import permit and export permit and get your scope shipped up to their store, after it arrives in canada they will contact you for payment and for the shipping to get it out to your location.

So really how could it get any easier??

With our new dollar it may not be practical, however when you can't get something in canada or stumble on a clearance sale stateside the added expenses of double shipping charges and a import fee may still work out in your favor, so shop wisely and count your pennies

Last edited:
so simple it hurts, firstly find an optic that tickles your fancy and make contact with the buyer, explain to him that you are in canada but you're interested in buying a scope and having it shipped to Prophet River Firearms USA FFL dealer Leroy in Montana. If they agree that they can and will do that then make the purchase and ask for the serial number of the scope and a tracking number of the package.

Making contact with the buyer part does not work very well. They almost always say NO. Who wants to deal with the extra hassle. How do you talk to a website?

It should be simplified. Instead of this back and forth, we should be able to order stuff to prophet River USA and then ask prophet river to take care of the paper work and hassle. As long as they get the product, they should be OK to bring it to Canada.

Making contact with the buyer part does not work very well. They almost always say NO. Who wants to deal with the extra hassle. How do you talk to a website?

It should be simplified. Instead of this back and forth, we should be able to order stuff to prophet River USA and then ask prophet river to take care of the paper work and hassle. As long as they get the product, they should be OK to bring it to Canada.

Sounds like the guy doing it now?? No hassle and $25 U.S. per order. Nothing to fix

Not sure what you mean. can you please elaborate?

He's saying that it's exactly yodave said in his post. Talk to seller and ask him to ship it to Prophet River in Montana, that's all the seller has to do, nothing else. You as the buyer informa Prophet River through their online form, and they work their magic. In the end you just get a second bill for Fees + S&H from Prohet River.

Just a heads up not all scopes or optics are importable.

Make sure the scope or optic is not ITAR controlled or it may not make it here and you will be stuck with an optic on the other side of the border.

As an example, look up Optics planet's and Cabelas and Basspro's prosecutions for exporting scopes, that is why they are nervous about it. And there are certain classifications of scopes that you will have to go thru the wringer for, to get them out of the US. A couple of yrs ago, Leupold had those models of scopes marked on their website, I don't see them there now, maybe they now have licences to export those models under specific circumstances. If the mfgr doesn't have that licence, and you don't supply the right end user certification to make them happy, it won't make it past US customs. Doesn't matter who other than the mfgr is selling it down south, the mfgr has to have the clearance/licence from State to export it to begin with.

Just a heads up not all scopes or optics are importable.

Make sure the scope or optic is not ITAR controlled or it may not make it here and you will be stuck with an optic on the other side of the border.

It's not that they're not importable, ITAR makes them not exportable. The Canadian side doesn't care.

Does anybody know of optics planet will cooperate with this?

If the item is marked as export restricted the transaction will very likely get flagged by your IP address or credit card info. I had this problem with some reloading equipment that was to be shipped within the US. They'll send you some forms to fill out which may or may not allow the order to proceed.

I cant see why optics planet or anybody over there would care. As long as it has the ITAR number it should be treated any different than shipping to anybody else in the states. Just put down shipping info for Prophet River and done. PR is great to deal with, just wish they had stuff little cheaper.

I wired the money down, your right because there was no way they could run my credit card

To optics planet?? When I tried with them, to have it shipped to a Montana address, they flagged my CC and refused the sale of the scope. They sent me messages like I was an international criminal for daring to try.

Back
Top Bottom