Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: So let me tell ya about marstar...

Quote Originally Posted by lyman54 View Post
    Outdated? I found it to be very good and super easy to use. My last purchse of a restricted, 2 weeks ago went smooth as silk. The best thing about Marstar is the variety. I prefer the old stuff, black powder guns and I don't know anywhere else in Canada that has such a selection. Glad they're around.
    Yes, the Marstar site is very outdated and goes against many things of modern web design. In fact I'd be weary about using it.

1. When you sign up for an account the site generates your password. This would indicate to me the password is stored in their system without going through a 1 way hash. When you create a password the site should run your password through a function that hashes it to something else, this way if their system is ever hacked your password can't be recovered from the hacked data. E.g: "password" is hashed to something like this ax92l44mdwo3fgHx009.

2. If you change your marstar password you can change it to literally anything. A system is only as secure as it's weakest password. My password is now 'a'. Yup, just the letter a.

3. Auto-playing videos. This hurts site SEO a lot.

4. No built in search. Marstar just piggybacks off a google search. That's pretty lame and useless.

5. Product pages are lacking sort functions.

6. No shipping estimates.

Need I go on? Enter your information into this site all you want, but it probably shouldn't be trusted for much. I do this stuff for a living. Whoever wrote the Marstar site should be fired.

Glad you had no problems returning the ammo. I have always gotten good deals and great service. Now LeBaron is another story!!

Expired Business
    Quote Originally Posted by alkali_feldspar View Post
    Yes, the Marstar site is very outdated and goes against many things of modern web design. In fact I'd be weary about using it.

1. When you sign up for an account the site generates your password. This would indicate to me the password is stored in their system without going through a 1 way hash. When you create a password the site should run your password through a function that hashes it to something else, this way if their system is ever hacked your password can't be recovered from the hacked data. E.g: "password" is hashed to something like this ax92l44mdwo3fgHx009.

2. If you change your marstar password you can change it to literally anything. A system is only as secure as it's weakest password. My password is now 'a'. Yup, just the letter a.

3. Auto-playing videos. This hurts site SEO a lot.

4. No built in search. Marstar just piggybacks off a google search. That's pretty lame and useless.

5. Product pages are lacking sort functions.

6. No shipping estimates.

Need I go on? Enter your information into this site all you want, but it probably shouldn't be trusted for much. I do this stuff for a living. Whoever wrote the Marstar site should be fired.
    How does our site make you weary ??
    You say you do this for a living, we would gladly pay you to come up with a shipping program that would select the least expensive
    carrier among the ones we use, Canpar, UPS, Day & Ross, Fedex, Canada Post, etc, etc.... Always taking in consideration the various categories of goods to be shipped.
    I look forward to hearing from you, I can be reached at john@marstar.ca
    John

Although my dealings have been on the light side , I have used the Marstar site and company for several purchases. All have been A1. Can't ask for more than that
    "You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas"
    Member CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by johnone View Post
    How does our site make you weary ??
    You say you do this for a living, we would gladly pay you to come up with a shipping program that would select the least expensive
    carrier among the ones we use, Canpar, UPS, Day & Ross, Fedex, Canada Post, etc, etc.... Always taking in consideration the various categories of goods to be shipped.
    I look forward to hearing from you, I can be reached at john@marstar.ca
    John
    If you're looking for a new site, take a look at Wordpress with WooCommerce. You can get shipping plugins for all the major shippers, as well as define your own rate scheme for the ones you can't integrate to.

As for how your site makes me weary... I've outlined those. But mostly your password handling is sketchy as frig. Like I said, I set mine to the letter 'a'. 1 letter passwords shouldn't be allowed! Ever! I don't want to try any cross site scripting or SQL injection on your site because it's illegal, without permission, and more importantly puts your data at risk.

BANNED
    If you're looking for a new site, take a look at Wordpress with WooCommerce. You can get shipping plugins for all the major shippers, as well as define your own rate scheme for the ones you can't integrate to.

As for how your site makes me weary... I've outlined those. But mostly your password handling is sketchy as frig. Like I said, I set mine to the letter 'a'. 1 letter passwords shouldn't be allowed! Ever! I don't want to try any cross site scripting or SQL injection on your site because it's illegal, without permission, and more importantly puts your data at risk.

....But mostly your password handling is sketchy as frig. Like I said, I set mine to the letter 'a'. 1 letter passwords shouldn't be allowed! Ever!
    I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, but personally sites or programs (like iTunes for example) that want me to use 13 characters, 3 uppercase, 4 lowercase, a special symbol, no consecutive numbers and not any words found in a dictionary annoy me. If I chose my password to be "a" and my account gets hacked, isn't that MY fault? I'm so tired of catering to the morons: "Well this goofball chose "a" as a password, got hacked, and is now blaming us... I guess we'll make unrealistic password credentials instead of trying to get people to take responsibility for their own actions"

Again... just my opinion (which if you ask the wife, isn't worth much )
    Anyone doing any Long-Range, Pistol, or Action-Shooting in or around the Elk Valley/Crowsnest Pass? I'd love to tag along, send me a PM

BANNED
    If your account gets hacked and people place orders for things like TVs or guns in your name, will you accept those consequences and the bills?

FF

Quote Originally Posted by FyreFighter View Post
    If your account gets hacked and people place orders for things like TVs or guns in your name, will you accept those consequences and the bills?

FF
    So it seems the simpler solution is having to input your credit card info each time... I'll have time to do that when I only have to type "a" to log on lol
    Anyone doing any Long-Range, Pistol, or Action-Shooting in or around the Elk Valley/Crowsnest Pass? I'd love to tag along, send me a PM

CGN Ultra frequent flyer kodiakjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FyreFighter View Post

FF
    If by "hacked", you mean "someone simply logs on as me because I foolishly set my password to "a", then yes. I earned the right to eat the cost while I pursue legal action against the "hacker". If he's never found, then so be it.

I'd equate it to leaving a hundred dollar bill on my front lawn. Yes, the guy that took it and ran was breaking the law, but I'm a damn fool for leaving it there in the first place.
    The Bee does not squander his time trying to explain to the Fly why honey is better than s**t. Each creature is content with the meal laid before them, so the Bee reserves his endeavor for those who know its worth.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast