Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Garrison Petawawa PR Match 2- 16/17 July 2016 - Debrief Here!

Business Member
    Ryan,

We are at Bravo Range and it's in meters. Yahooo. In the barracks now and getting ready for dinner at Kelsey's for 1900 hrs. Hmmmm steak.....

Cheers
    Barney

Back home safe after another stellar PR weekend brought to us by the one-and-only Barney. Hats off to the Petawawa Gun Club and Garrison Petawawa for the use of Bravo range. Can't thank you all enough for the opportunity to introduce PR to some impressionable newbies and help spread the gospel. Hope to see all our fellow mounds and butts mates out again soon. Praise the Lord and Richard, sentry too. Good Times!!!

V-IV

Had a great weekend. Learned a lot both about the performance of the different parts of a shooting rig and the format and timing of PR competition. First day walk back helped me understand the different realities at the longer distances I'd never shot before (400m-600m). Also helped my confidence that my DOPE for 100-300m was spot on. Second day was a bunch of fun and, on hindsight, a lot of learning. Not everything I learned had to do with shooting or spotting either!

Facilities were great, no complaints at all there. So great that workshops like this exist and so many people pull together to make it happen.
    I had the opportunity of shooting the 600m match a second time and I saw an improvement there just from that bit of experience. Makes me want to go into some comps at Connaught to see how much I can progress with my current gear and "earn" my next upgrade purchase.

Big thanks to Derek, Richard, Morgan, and Ryan. Being able to get "this is what works for me" advice from those guys is super valuable. And of course thanks to Barney for leading the charge to make all this happen!

Business Member
    What a long but depressing drive back home last night. I was depressed because we had such a great weekend and all of us felt the love! I was depressed because I'm driving away from such a fun experience. I did get over my depression after driving through the park and then hitting the Timmy's in Huntsville for some Green Tea. Much better now.

Each time I feel some bouts of depression coming on, I remind my self to count my blessings and that's all of you shooters! :D Then the sad feelings disappear. Bruce Lee once said, "Count the things you DO have, don't count what you don't have."

I have a great community up in Petawawa and also in the ORA at Base Borden. I have a great sponsor like the Petawawa GC and it's President Morgan. (remember: big M, small organ) That's his joke and I just stole it!

I am thankful for the great turnout we had. It was nice to be able to focus on the needs of the new shooters and get their comfort levels expanded properly.

I am thankful for our other RSO Derek, he gave up his Saturday to run the range for us and impart some of his PR wisdoms and experiences. That's priceless. LMK when you wanna rebarrel that M14 of yours, bring it over and we will make it happen for you!

I'm thankful for our ButtsO, Rick, who gave a day of his time to supervise and train you shooters down in the butts. It was wonderful to have a bunch of national level competition experience in our midst to show us the ways of target presentation down there! Without solid, reliable, target presentation, the match would be a cluster fornication.

I'm thankful for Ryan McL our PRS Match Director for the Meaford LRC Match this coming Labour Day weekend at ATC Meaford. Ryan gave us some valuable insights on the PRS fun over the horizon so to speak. I was wonderful to have a World class shooter, Match Director and butts officer among us in PR2 yesterday. Thanks for showing us the ways of the 3 lugged bolt action by KS in BC. I might have to look into that! You also left a very lasting impression on our new shooters. Your routine on the firing line was well observed by many of my new shooters!

I'm super thankful to Morgan once again for booking this event and making things fall together while he was off at Smith Falls 3Gun match schooling those other shooters in the Ways of the Sight Picture!

I'm more thankful to Heather our Sentry who gave up her weekend once again to make this onerous job look so easy. It was freaking hot out there! NO Shade!!

I'm thankful to the support I get from all you shooters because without you we would not have a community to be thankful or blessed with! Speaking of community.....

I'm thankful to Danny's Steak House for that next 2 Tums Food Coma night we shared on Saturday night....

I'm MOSTLY thankful to the mess hall staff at Normandy Mess Hall for them fantastic beans on Sunday morning... they provided most fun during the 300 Meter Agony Snap for BOTH relays....

I'm thankful for the great staff at Rations and Quarters Booking Office in J108 for making my stay so uneventful. The remote for the TV worked this time!

What else did you shooters learn?

What are you thankful for?

Remember: If you wanna be great; be grateful!!!

Cheers,

Barney
    Last edited by TacticalTeacher; 07-18-2016 at 02:49 PM.

I had a really good time this weekend, I really enjoyed the community, war stories were great! Ill be out again in October, hope to see some familiar faces. Cheers to the lads thats shot so well!! Keep it up you guys, you have a great shooting career ahead of ya!!

Now some of us, we need to have a discussion on your consumption of beans prior to shoots!! Damn!

Nate

I learned I hate the wind......

This shoot was my first time past 100 meters, What an eye opener. Youve stepped up my game Barney!
    Last edited by Nate.308; 07-18-2016 at 03:37 PM.

Business Member
    Okay, I just posted up your results on post number 2 found on the first page of this thread! Have a look!!

Cheers, and we will see some of you on the next PR3 weekend of early August!

Barney

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate.308 View Post
    I learned I hate the wind......

This shoot was my first time past 100 meters, What an eye opener. Youve stepped up my game Barney!
    Nate the key is to learn to love the wind it is what separates the men from the boys. It is how matches are won. Everyone can learn to load accurate ammo. It takes practice to learn wind. Every time you shoot you will learn something.
    My saying is I never loose a match... I ether win or learn something to win next time.

All the best and hope to see you guys at the Meaford match.

Ryan

Hey Ryan, it was great shooting with you.

And a big thanks to all who put this together, it is very much appreciated.

I learned a lot, my gear selection still needs some work, it was great to be able to try out the different spotting scopes and learn the limits of the .223 platforms.

As always I gained valuable insight into many aspects of the sport.

BTW, I believe I found why my rifle was doing funny things at 600, apparently there is a known "wandering zero" issue with the integral bipod (damn!). Its time to retire the SIG 550 from PR and break out the H&K SL8 for the October PR LOL yeah another semi auto.

BANNED
    Another excellent clinic Barney ...Thanks again !
    It was nice meeting everyone and the weekend went very well.
    Range Control got upset about the last two trucks leaving the training area on Sunday as they were speeding.
    The speed limit in the training area is 50 km/hr. I am not sure who it was but his initials are "BARNEY"
    So no more "Dukes of hazard driving techniques " ...OK ..LOL
    Shoot Faster....Learn Quicker ...Drive Slower !!! LOL

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast