Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garrison Petawawa M14 Clinic 04/05 June 2016 - Debrief Here!

Business Member

Garrison Petawawa M14 Clinic 04/05 June 2016 - Debrief Here!

It's official, The start of the 2016 Clinic season in Petawawa is happening. This year we are having any participants from the Soldier ON program attend all my clinics for FREE! Come one out and have fun with us!

Here's a picture showing what you can look forward to:

This clinic will have a dual focus on M14 rifles and M1 Garands. Life being perfect, your Garand is also in .308. More on that issue down below!

So if you have a receiver and a barrel to put together, we can make this happen for you at this clinic. I have all the tools. I can even install your .308 Win chambered barrel and then finish ream that chamber and then you test fire at Yankee Range on Sunday. How awesome is this clinic gonna be?

Warning: I've just been reminded that the CFB Petawawa's Range Standing Orders only allow .308 ammo on their ranges and that includes Yankee Range. Sorry No discussion is allowed nor will it be entertained. It's their range and we have to respect it. ONLY .308 (M14's, M305's, and .308 M1 Garands) are allowed to be shot. So plan accordingly for Sunday's practice.

Where:

CFB Petawawa, ON, Base Firehall Storage building (P-141) and that's across from the Base Firehall (S-105) (parking lot is where we always meet for the other clinics).

Enter the front gate and show your ID. Take an immediate right (Base Fire Hall on your right) and Take the first LEFT. Large white storage building with 4 or 5 garage doors. You will see us hanging around. That's P-141 (hard to see the ID plate on the building)

When:

Saturday and Sunday 04 - 05 June 2016. One day of clinic tweaking and second day of shooting on Yankee Range

Cost:

$ 80 for the weekend
    $ 10 for the Sentry that Range Control requires us to provide. Morgan has been casually collecting some monies to help out the sentry (ies) but some folks see to have overlooked this extension of courtesy and good will. Now we have to cough up with a more serious application for the needed post. The $10 covers you for the weekend. Morgan will be collecting this fee AT the range.

Timing:

Gather for 0830
    Casual Start at 0900
    Ending at 1600

Registration and Payment:

EMT the $80 to me with this information:

Name: Tactical Teacher
    Question: What was your OLD CGN handle? I was not always tacticalteacher, you know. :D
    Answer: hungry (low caps, no spaces) that way I cannot screw things up
    Email: hungry556 AT bell DOT net

Where to Stay

About 10-15min from range control (and right by Kelseys) http://www.petawawaqualityinnandsuites.com/
    2 min from base with several fast food/pizza options close by http://www.petawawariverinnandsuites.ca/

What is involved:

- Tools for tweaking, tools to avoid, tools that are nice to have but expensive, tools that are overrated and too expensive
    - Gadgets that are nice to have, need to have, and useless to have (but I had to buy it to show you)
    - Tools that you can make yourself instead of buying, tools that you can have buddies (owe you favors) make up for you
    - Stripping the boomstick (you will be surprised at what I can show you)
    - YES we will pull your rear sights apart, and then get serious with them
    - Assembling the boomstick, and what to look for so that worthwhile tweaks can be or should be made
    - Tweaks that work, tweaks that don't work, expensive tweaks so yer dick does not fall off
    - Useless tweaks unless you have more money than shooting ability (many stories to follow at the clinic)
    - Common pitfalls, expensive tweaks that work, more ways to ensure that yer dick don't fall off
    - Lunch and then tweaking in the afternoon to tighten up your prized M1 Garand
    - Lots of networking and socializing all the time. This is priceless.
    - I am set up to install your .308 Win barrel on your receiver and then FINISH Chamber, then you test fire on Sunday at Yankee Range

Things to bring for Day 1:

* Your M1 Garand rifle or receiver(s) with barrel(s) to be installed
    * Your M14 (or two if you got them)
    * Notebook, pens, digital camera, rags,
    * Ball peen hammer, Allen keys SAE and Metric
    * Punches, screwdrivers, more punches
    * Plastic or rubber mallet, wood block or 2 or 3
    * Masking tape, duct tape

Things to bring for Day 2:

This is a picture of our 2nd day kind of coaching you get on the firing line:

* Shooting Mat or Convertible shooting case or Sniper Drag Bag (converts to a mat)
    * Spotting scope and tripod
    * anemometer (wind gadget thingy) which I will teach you how to use
    * Rain gear, snow gear (you never know)
    * Sunscreen, bug dope, rifle lube
    * screwdriver set, basic tools for your rifle base, mount, rings, allen keys (SAE and/or metric)
    * warm clothes, did I already mention rain gear?
    * Snacks, food for lunch
    * More drinks, spare drinks for those who forgot to pack fluids
    * Ammo, at least 100 rounds of safe ammo
    * None of this ammo that kisses the lands and grooves, all your ammo must be proven safe, and magazine tolerant
    * spare toque, baseball cap, digital camera, notebook, pens and pencils

And hopefully once you tweak your M14, you might just be tempted to shoot in the PR matches / series I am delivering.... Have a look at the couple of M14's on the line this October Sniper clinic in 2015:

And here we are cutting the final 10 thou of the "short chamber" after installing this Krieger Medium barrel back in Fall 2014.

Warning: I've just been reminded that the CFB Petawawa's Range Standing Orders only allow .308 ammo on their ranges and that includes Yankee Range. Sorry No discussion is allowed nor will it be entertained. It's their range and we have to respect it. ONLY .308 (M14's, M305's, and .308 M1 Garands) are allowed to be shot. So plan accordingly for Sunday's practice.

Questions? Post them right here in this forum! Questions about the .30-06 Ban? PM me!

Cheers,

Barney
    Last edited by TacticalTeacher; 06-13-2016 at 07:04 AM.

Anyone have a map of the base which shows where building P-141 is located in relation to the entrance road?
    Thanks

TacTeacher here: Send a PM to chalkriver, our point man and he is the expert to sort us out!
    Last edited by TacticalTeacher; 03-19-2016 at 02:46 PM.

Count me in on this clinic as well!

it's quite tempting! since I just bough my first M14
    FREE USP and FREE US FROM COLLUSION!

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by xyzrsa View Post
    Anyone have a map of the base which shows where building P-141 is located in relation to the entrance road?
    Thanks

TacTeacher here: Send a PM to chalkriver, our point man and he is the expert to sort us out!
    Send an email to the clubs email address at cfbpgc@gmail.com and I can send you some maps and info.
    There is a nice campground on base that's cheap as well .
    We will be on BRAVO range as Yankee is still closed.

Morgan
    Last edited by chalkriver; 04-01-2016 at 02:01 PM.

Business Member
    A blast from the past:

Cutting the chamber with a Clymer Pull Through .308 reamer! We can install your .308 M1 or M1 Garand barrel (that's all I shoot).

Cheers,

Barney

I have heard great things about you M14 courses and am very interested in attending.
    I have a Dominion Arms So Com that I would like to keep it pretty simple and straight forward.
    No crazy optics or stocks.
    The barrel is over indexed and the rifle could use some tuning and upgraded parts.

Do you think I will still get the most value out of your tuning and shooting instruction by sticking to my keep it simple approach?
    Also, is this where I could have my gas system unitized?
    Anxiousness is the axeman of accuracy.
    IPSC and 3gun.

BANNED
    No capabilities to get your gas system unitized at this clinic ...as a tig welder is required.
    As far as if it would be worth it for you to attend ....YES !!!!
    I highly recommend these clinics to everyone I know.
    If you need maps or any local info send me your email address.

Just bought my first m305 Norinco. Bare as baby's butt. I am interested in learning more about it, and mounting a rail for the optic. Any advice on what rail mount to buy and bring to the clinic ? Ammo question. There are few stores arround selling Norico 7.62X51 surplus ammo. Is that good enough for the clinic or should I be buying something better ? (as you can tell from the questions, I am pretty new to this). Any other toys, parts that should be bought/brought - OP Guide ..... for teh clinic ?
    Thanx in advance

Business Member
    Scope rails? ARMS 18, Smith 2024, CASM all work well.

Upgraded rear sights? Marstar carries US M1 Garand replacements!

Grab hold of an Op Rod Spring Guide from Magwedge or S&J Hardware since they are Cdn made.

Everything else, we will fix you up at the clinic! The Norc ammo is surprisingly decent as Chalkriver can attest from our clinic back in 2013 or was it 2012? I think it was October 2011 at the Milcun Marksmanship Complex !

The second day of the clinic is so worth the extra time and money.... I get to coach you on the line!!

Cheers,
    Barney

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast