Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Garrison Petawawa M14 Clinic 04/05 June 2016 - Debrief Here!

BANNED
    Thanks for another great clinic Barney ...I got to meet some nice people and learned how to take apart the trigger group .
    If it aint raining you aint training ..lol . I was happy to hide in the butts and run the targets on Sunday ..lol
    Good to see some of the shooters getting hits from the 600 meter berm for their first time . .

Business Member
    What a wonderful drive back home. I was not as depressed as I've always been (I miss the great community already) since I'm back next weekend for the PR event.

If you want to be great, be grateful (I stole that quote, it ain't mine)

I have so much to be thankful for:

I'm thankful for our most patient Sentry who tried to keep warm and dry in that downpour, the one that proved the M14 rifle platform loves the rain and mud
    I'm thankful for the great people I met and who laughed at my jokes for both days
    I'm thankful for the opportunity to teach how to pull apart the Norinco Trigger Group and we did not lose any parts on the floor
    I'm thankful for my Point man, Morgan who gives up his weekends to host me up there... and also hosting the students to elevate their personal game
    I'm thankful for the patience of my students who braved the rain and wind (and it dumped like crazy on us)
    I'm thankful for the rain because it's just another opportunity to learn about how well your kit works and how well your organization on the rifle mound works
    I'm thankful for the kicks and giggles all of us shared; they are priceless
    I'm thankful for the kind servers and owner of Danny's Steak House for that steak which gave me a food coma as I watched Game 3; Sharks vs Penguins.
    I'm thankful for our discussions on what our funerals are gonna look like. I'm bringing my OWN home-tweaked Taser for Morgan's funeral! Not my first rodeo!

What are your take aways? What did you learn about your equipment as we moved further back? and back? and back?

Iron sights are great, not the Zhinese ones, the American replacements work well, yes, even past 500 meters! I've done this lots and lots!
    Good glass is important if you are gonna glass this platform (or any platform for that matter)
    Good mounts and bases are crucial for the M14 platform. Don't cheap out!

Once you get further back, the variables/gremlins/ghosts/issues compound exponentially and now your accuracy and groups and predicted impacts are all questioned/questionable and hence "out the window". We have already learned this at the PR clinics and matches!

Buy once, cry once. No regrets afterwards... These are great metaphors to live by...

Okay... what did you learn?

Time for me to hit the library (just hit the gym) and read up on Resistive Capacitor circuits in Series and Parallel.

Cheers,
    Barney

Great clinic guys. Was phenomenal to make hits from 600.

Good group of guys too.

Special thanks to:
    Petawawa gun club, for letting us play in their sandbox
    Chalkriver for teaching me a ton about butts duty, and how to do it quickly and effectively. As well as a bunch of M14 specific stuff.
    All the guys in the clinic, for all pulling our weight as a team on range day to keep everybody moving and learning quickly and effectively.
    The sentry, who had to sit in that boring, cold, miserable shack for hours while we were out messing around.
    Barney, for correcting my fundamentals when I needed it.
    Chalkriver and my butts crew, for giving great indicators even when there wasn't much to go off of.
    Barney again, for being the best damned spotter I've ever worked with.

Good times, well worth the drive.

I learned:
    If you've got good dope and know your reticle well, you can engage effectively with holdovers way further out than conventional wisdom would dictate is wise.
    The Norc surplus ammo runs a lot better than it should for being $0.50/round.
    Having a spotter that knows what he's doing is worth more than it's weight in gold.

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior37c View Post
    Special thanks to:
    Petawawa gun club, for letting us play in their sandbox
    Chalkriver for teaching me a ton about butts duty, and how to do it quickly and effectively. As well as a bunch of M14 specific stuff.
    All the guys in the clinic, for all pulling our weight as a team on range day to keep everybody moving and learning quickly and effectively.
    The sentry, who had to sit in that boring, cold, miserable shack for hours while we were out messing around.
    Barney, for correcting my fundamentals when I needed it.
    Chalkriver and my butts crew, for giving great indicators even when there wasn't much to go off of.
    Barney again, for being the best damned spotter I've ever worked with.

Good times, well worth the drive.

I learned:
    If you've got good dope and know your reticle well, you can engage effectively with holdovers way further out than conventional wisdom would dictate is wise.
    The Norc surplus ammo runs a lot better than it should for being $0.50/round.
    Having a spotter that knows what he's doing is worth more than it's weight in gold.
    It's often been said that the spotter does pretty well almost all of the work at the sniper matches!

It's an underestimated role and many people don't credit this person in said role! Thankfully you discovered what a competent spotter with an excellent scope can do to elevate your shooting game. Now get ready for the PR clinics and matches. You ain't seen nothing yet! ha haha ha

Cheers ,

Barney

I honestly would completely agree, you were calling the shots. I was a remote control toy that put the reticle where you told me to, and hits happened, lol.

We'll talk more about this next weekend!

I second Junior37c wrt the spotter. Never had one before and it was an amazing experience!

Thank you Barney for teaching me more about that rifle and rifle system than I would have EVER been able to glean on my own. Thank you for increasing my technical knowledge and experience as well as teaching me and helping hone my shooting abilities to be able to put rounds on target at 600 meters (PERSONAL BEST). And yes Junior37c, that NORC surplus does shoot better than it has a right too.

Thank you to Chalkriver for hosting Barney's clinics and giving us a place to practice what we were being taught. Big thanks to our Sentry, for without you none of Sunday would have been possible.

Thank you to everyone who attended the clinic as well. Always an amazing experience to meet fellow enthusiasts as excited, passionate and knowledgeable about the sport and tools as I am.

And surprisingly thankful for the rain. That was the most fun with shooting and rain I have ever had! My stock is still drying lol. Also, neutral kiwi shoe polish, amazing stuff! The negative, need to upgrade my glass. Was quite surprised with the performance of my Bushnell 3-9, and my no name Marstar special mount as well ^.^

Will definitely have to attend some (if not all ) of your other clinics as well ^.^ as well as getting myself a membership to the Petawawa Gun Club
    Giveth thy joys unto Michael of Canmore and thou shalt never be joyless. - Norc 3:05

Sorry for late comment and question. First - Thank you for an AWESOME clinic. Question - while did take notes and all wisdom provided, I missed the name/brand of the sling you were showing off (love that spin move). Could you post it here please ? Thanx again for great time - definitely worth 5 hour drive.

BANNED
    Glad you enjoyed the weekend ..the sling is a Turner Saddlery AWS Biothane

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123