Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Precision Rifle Match Preparation - More added 31 Mar 2017

Business Member

Precision Rifle Match Preparation - More added 31 Mar 2017

I've had several questions from my clients on what to bring and how to get started, so here's a blog to get you rolling to your first Precision Rifle (read: sniper rifle) Match.....

Sniper Mat

Really nice to have and bring along especially on those longer days on the range. I prefer the type of mat you can store / carry your rifle inside and then it converts to a shooting mat. Sometimes a drag bag is great to have but often their zippers don't open so that you can "butterfly" the nylon padded sides.

The firing line can get pretty crowded sometimes. A mat helps you define your space, alignment, position for you spotter to reference his spotting scope, etc.

Name:  B383F2F0-C762-4998-A149-65E20AEFB8CC.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  146.9 KB

Have a look at some of the mats here at my 2014 PR Clinic in Yankee Range, Garrison Petawawa:

All kinds of mats present. Something to consider that comfortable shooters score higher than physically uncomfortable shooters...

One of my all time favourites is the "Stalker" style drag bag made by Eagle Industries (might be discontinued) and Blackhawk Industries and Voodoo (Condor wannabe) that ran me around $100. Made in China but I ain't deploying with it! So this price point works for me....

Or my next more expensive but favourite mat, the Blackhawk Stalker mat....

Name:  07993630-BF28-4F9D-9036-8946E188A4B0.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  80.8 KB

Now if you did "thief" your wife's yoga matt for the weekend, all I can say is, "Namaste!" They work well and roll up tight. The colour might be more in tune with me asking you to borrow that mat when I take Sophie Gregoire-Turdo's Yoga Class. Downward Dog, baby!!!

We'll bust open them Warrior Positions on the firing line!

Just don't bust open them "Blue" Ensolite camping / sleeping pads... they like to blow away and forward of the firing line and now I have to clear all weapons off the firing line for you to retrieve said foam sleeping pad.

AND if you happen to shoot through your Cambodian Tire $8.00 - 24 feet by 36 feet camping tarp that tends to lift up with the wind gusts AS YOU loose the bullet, I will try not to laugh too loud....

Spotting Scope

Warning: Just my opinion based on a few podium appearances over the last couple of decades, hence the picture just below.... I'm a way, way better spotter than I am a shooter!

Decide your budget first, and then the corresponding quality. Price certainly reflects the quality of glass / lenses/ construction / features / conveniences/ cool factor / gadgets / humdingers / size / portability/ laser capability with Dr. Evil and his million $$ ransom demands.

Look through many, many lenses. I'm not joking. There's a reason I lined up ALL the accompanying spotting scopes to my Precision Rifle Clinics and according to price ascension (cheapest to most expensive) and had you look/examine / observe / discern a figure 11 target 600m/yards away.

Google all the characteristics of spotting scopes and telescopes and moon rakers so that you can make a decision but here's my personal favourite:

"Resolution" or "resolving power" - or something like that

I like shopping around (lots) at shops with larger inventories / price ranges / price points / variety etc. etc. And finally a large / voluminous physical store. I like to set up the spotting scopes and observe the same beam/steel girder against a hopefully contrasting ceiling (white beam on brown ceiling perhaps). Then focus in and out, notice how easily this focus knob turns and it's gearing to focus speed relationship. This really helps when you "short focus" just a few hundred meters/yards in front of your target to spot the peak of the bullet and how it "drops" into the Vbull (I'm a shooting competitor and don't have a mandate for hostile operations) or figure 11....hopefully in the centre.

Now after I play with the focus, I stare at the contrasting beam/ceiling and move the beam/ceiling being observed to the EDGE of your lens/view. Notice the distortion? Some people call it "aberration". I call it "CHEAP GLASS" and the edges of the glass is where the grinding/cutting/shaping of the lenses can / will / often be compromised to cut costs. The cheapest lenses are all clear and focused in the middle of the lenses.

When you look along the edges, the usually clear images do funny things. That's your job to look / observe / discriminate / and then decide if you can live with said distortion.

I like doing this at Cabela's in Barrie, ON when I worked there. Often customers would approach and ask, "What do you know about optics?" I love those kinds of customers. Boy can I ever answer that query!

There is also a reason I make you (clinic shooters) look through my 82mm Fluorite lens KOWA, and then you can see what good / expensive / well made / pricey / very cool to flash around glass looks like. Now try and find any aberration and try resolving blades of grass at the 700m mound in Connaught Ranges while trying to detect subtle wind changes that will push your bullet out of the VBull and into the Bull 5 or Inner 4 target rings/rectangles.

I have to mention that sometimes one gets uber lucky and finds a great spotting scope for THEIR eyes. Remember that ALL of us are different and none of us have similar eye muscles. So what works for one shooter/spotter may not work for everyone else. I happen to like Bushnell Spacemaster scopes in vintage 20x fixed power rendition (found in pawn shops or Kijiji or Estate Auctions). Often they can be had for under $100. Not always the coolest looking but a camo Krylon paint job will fix that situation!

Just a blast from the past.... 2005 NSCC DCRA Nationals... On the podium once again! And I used a Bushnell Spacemaster 15x - 45x with rubber camouflage armour $300 including cheap Zhinese tripod.

Tripod/scope stand

Again, how much do you want to pay? How much does weight matter to you? Can you use this tripod in other applications like birdwatching at Pelee Island in May or try to meet ladies while birdwatching (that's what I try to do) ?? Will your department have a budget for this quality of observation/surveillance toolset?

Some are easy to carry and fold up nicely. Some have smaller bases that easily tip over in the wind. Some are easy to set up and take down (in a real hurry). Some have broad bases that allow observation from almost any height (prone to standing positions for the spotter). Some can accommodate heavier/longer/fatter/larger scopes. Some are deployable (those of you with an overseas mandate) and come with the small sizes and GTFO capability (get the heck out) therefore a very fast egress

Can you get away with a low and inexpensive camera tripod? It will save you money. Upgrade as economy, time, budget, overtime shift availability allows you. You can do this if you are always observing from the prone position directly behind your shooter.

Some allow you a more comfortable sitting / upright position for more relaxed spotting? Remember that we are shooting at a known distance range and life is very relaxed in the precision rifle game for the spotter.

Consider (google it) a Freeland tripod with a lower centre of gravity. Adjustments (up/down/left / right) are done with fine adjustment knobs, IIRC.

Consider (another google assignment) Manfrotto Series with single hand squeeze adjustability if you want some of the best in tripods. Many agencies use these. Enough said...

Consider the RayVin (google it) since it's bottom heavy (I would not deploy with this one since I'm on the ranges ONLY) but it's great in windy conditions...

Here is a picture:

It's got a saddle head that is adjustable with ONE hand (twist knob) and delrin sliders. Way cool

So at the end of it all; you have many considerations to examine and then decide. Shop wisely! Look through as many lenses as you can when you go to your GC and sight in. Try and sample many scopes when you are at my matches or clinics. It's all good learning!

Anemometer

At one point before or during the match, it would be helpful to know the wind velocity (speed) and vector (direction). Depending on proper calibration (many are exhibiting different readings for the same wind), not all anemometers are equal.

Do you need to know the temperature? Do you need to accommodate for the Coriolis Effect of the Earth at 500m Snap match? Do you need to measure humidity (wet bulb)? We do need to know the RELATIVE wind speed.

Again, like spotting scopes, price matters. Quality matters. Reputation of the brand matters (trust issues).

Can you get by asking people? Sure you can, what if you owe them money? ha ha ha

Seriously, don't spend a pile of money unless you start shooting field matches or PRS matches. I use the simplest of the Kestrel brand. I believe it's the Kestrel 1000.

Whatever brand / model you choose play/practice/use/employ/experiment/ get used to it. I like to walk around the neighbourhood and guess the wind while observing trees/plants/grass/ flags/ my flowing hair AND then pull out your Kestrel to see if your guess was correct or close.

Now sit at a beach or soccer pitch or stadium (open area). Open up your anemometer and try to determine the dominant wind pattern... steady or gusting? Highs and low windspeed ?

More on this strategy when you show up at the matches.... from here on, it's hands on! No more theory. ha ha ha

Sniper Notebook or Databook or Dope Book

Can you get by without one? Dollar store note pad work better than restaurant table napkins (especially in the rain/snow)
    Can you improvise with a large 3 ring binder? Kinda hard to stuff into your shooting ruck when you are in a hurry.
    What do you need to enter? How much time do you have to write down your observations and scores and hits?

Consider these parameters when shopping (google is your friend for sniper data books) for a notebook.

Do you need a complex notebook with map sleeves, pen and marker slots/sleeves, zipper closures, velcro closures?
    Do you need a softer more flexible notebook cover or a more rigid core for your score sheets?
    Do you need a clear acetate/vinyl sleeve for more important sheets?
    Do you need a cover that opens up completely ?
    How about a notebook that opens "upwards" instead of "left to right" or "across the writing surface"
    Do you need water proof paper ? I like this feature

I was a professional edumakator for 30 years and I'm used to designing my own sheets using a Desktop Publisher. So I like making my own pages. Some shooters like lots of information. Some shooters like a minimum amount of data. Many things to consider before you design you own notebook pages. I even buy "letter" size Rite in the Rain sheets to run through a photocopier and print off my own data sheets.

I can share with you ONE truth: shooters who record data achieve greater results than shooters who don't record any conditions/parameters.

Sniper Rucksack / 3 Day Pack / Assault Pack

Okay, many of you here are ahead of the learning curve and likely have your own favourite style of ruck sack or 3 day pack commonly called "Assault Pack". I will just direct you to a bag of some sort that is able to sit up/ stand up on it's own while on the firing line. This really helps the FAST packing and unpacking that goes on while on the line. Find a pack that is kinda "stiff" enough to remain open or closed on it's own as you open/close the bag. Find a pack that has enough exterior pockets that will hold your most accessed gear: rifle magazines, anemometer, data log book, rear bean/bunny bag, ammunition (can go in the main compartment), and finally all the small things I'm going to list / show on a photograph...

Start by looking at this picture of my Sniper Ruck, by Maxpedition "Hard Use Gear"....

In the picture you will see:

* First Aid kit (with blowout gear for GSW and tourniquet)
    * Spare Earplugs (guess why?)
    * Glue stick (target preparation)
    * chapstick
    * BIC Lighter
    * Hand Sanitizer (works as a fire starter along with the BIG lighter... I was trained by the Airborne! )
    * Short ball point pen (next time your wife/kids drag you into Walmart)
    * Short little Sharpie
    * Spare pencil (in pack pouch) for wet weather score cards recording
    * Pack of 5 bandages (it's not you that gets hurt)
    * Water bottle (hockey style for those who don't bring enough water for the day)
    * Spare earmuffs (in pink, because my mother has breast cancer)

Inside the Rucksack, not quite visible:

* cheap poncho (covers up your kit when you are in the butts pulling targets)
    * Bean bags, rear bunny ear'ed bag
    * extra bean bags, extra sand in a black sock tied up at one end
    * Data log book
    * extra clothing layers
    * Sunscreen for you white (60 SPF)guys and 30 SPF for us Asians
    * Insect repellent (makes a great fire starter also) I use Muskol, burns really nicely, and rids of leeches FAST

Okay, at the 11-12 June 2016 PR Match... I was able to take a picture or 2 of the contents inside my sniper ruck (laid out on the truck tailgate).

First picture:

From left to right and top to bottom... kinda order:

* Blue Bottle of Sunscreen
    * Muskol because it's toxic to flies and leeches on your leg when you canoe/portage in Ontario
    * Hand sanitizer... never know when you have to start a fire (see: Muskol)
    * Plastic bottle of spare ear foam plugs (in pink for the Tough Guys who forget their Ear protection at home)
    * My Peltor Tac Pro, I recommend electronic ear muffs for these matches. Allows you to whisper your wind corrections to your team mate
    * Spare batteries (AA, AAA, 2032, 2016, 2025)
    * BIC lighter because it's waterproof and laundry proof
    * Glue stick for target preparation (especially with them new generation of 4 foot foam targets in Connaught or Petawawa)
    * 1 foot long carbon arrow shaft with pointy ends and a fabric (orange) strip to detect subtle wind changes
    * Xacto knife/ blade
    * $2 pack of bandages from Walmart, it's not you who gets injured. At CQB, I hand out "Hello Kitty" bandages
    * Small half size ball point pen
    * Ruptured case extractors .223 and .308 from Brownells (part of my "Oh Shzt Kit")
    * Allen key set
    * Gerber 600 Multi tool with GI Tanto (Cold Steel) utility knife

Have a gander at this next picture....

From left to right:

I still advocate using the smallest ammo cases you can (50 round count) since they are easiest to toss into your pack when you have to pack up and head to another firing mound.

My FDE or Coyote brown sniper data/dope record book in 1000 Denier cordura (Canadian Peacekeeper in Gagetown, NB.. google them)

I Have the AR15 cleaning case (Oh shzt kit) that has an M16 5.56mm cleaning rod (does 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, 243, 260, 270, .30 cal) and knocks out bullets lodged into the lands for you serious accuracy nuts!

I have a small hand towel to keep my rounds for the match under cover (shaded from the sun). Often I will lay out 2 sighters and 10 for score. I can keep track of the exposures that way. Sometimes when I use/feed from a 10 round AICS magazine then the towel just sits in the ruck.

Red mesh bag is for brass... enough said!

OD Green nylon poncho for covering up your stash /cache of gear as you have to leave your gear in order to carry out your "Butts" duties. Also keep the water off your gear (ruck and rifle and spotting scope stand).

I have a couple of rear support bags here: JSATactical unit with a Grimmlock attaching device, and it's in Medium size right from Skullboy. I also keep an old knotted black sock full of styrofoam beads for a soft surface against the barricades.

Inclement Weather Gear

One of my lifelong coaches made me memorize a mantra and it goes like this: "There is no such thing as crappy weather, just crappy preparation."

GoreTex and other like coatings have come down in price. Select your outer layers so that they keep you very warm and kinda cool in the warm weather (nice armpit and leg and crotch and thigh vents)

Dress in Layers so that you and add or peel of layers as the temperature and conditions dictate. Ensure that all layers fit and work well together. For example: it's hard to layer over your warm "ice fishing" coveralls with GoreTex.

Try not to be "That guy!" ha ha ha ha

Have a look at these well prepared shooters on the firing line:

Kommando Kart

Sorry, I just could not resist. Bring them along all you want. I should know better than to chirp these guys, after all I DO have TWO hip replacements and fzcked up knees....

Have a look at this post: http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...09-3-Gun-Carts

Ensure you let your kids know that you stole their 'wagon' for the weekend at the sniper matches:

Hard Hat or Helmet?

In the www.ontariorifleassociation.ca matches, we wear CSA approved hard hats down in the butts. I particularly like wearing my own (not sweaty or muddy liner) hard hat with ear protectors by Peltor attached TO the hard hat already. I don't know about you, but back over the years; I hauled around 20 or so ORA owned hard hats and they got muddy / silty /sweaty over the shooting season. I bought my own. Easy peasy! They are only $16 (give or take) at Home Depot or any Safety/Industrial Supply shop. Hard hat compatible earmuffs are easy to find at these same supply stores. Shop around.....

At the DCRA NSCC matches many years ago, we had to sign out kevlar helmets (CAF issued) and wear them in the butts. Many funny stories emanated from our antics in the butts. You might get a couple of them at my funeral! Ha ha ha ha

In Garrison Petawawa, we are required to wear CAF issued kevlar helmets that the President of the Petawawa GC provides. If you have a kevlar helmet of your own, bring it along! I keep a US Forces ACH/MICH helmet for this reason! Actually Morgan found a bunch of Czech surplus helmets for your protection this year of 2016...

So what about that Ruger Precision Rifle?

Here's a report I did using another shooters' handloads and his shooting skills. That way, there is some sort of impartiality going on....

DON't buy ONE.........Buy TWO of them.... You knew I could not resist!

Yeah, I figured I got yer attention now. I've finally had time to print this RPR after my 18 days across the country having taught 4 CQB (2 days each) clinics and 8000 kms behind my back. Speaking of back, I'm a fanboy of Robaxacet... I'm in spasms for not rolling out my back and doing my daily yoga. Don't get old!

Okay, in this experiment; I recruited Buzzballer who lived nearby to shoot HIS handloads (Remmy 700 SPS Tac 20" , 155 gr Amax, 46.0 gr Varget) through my 2 .308 PR rigs. One of them is my sponsored AI Ax in .308... Shout out to Wolverine Supplies who asked me to put this rig through it's paces at my PR matches in Garrison Petawawa. The other is my newly purchased RPR in .308 and it's the enhanced version. The retail price was $1749.00 in that neighbourhood.

I deliberately choose to have Buzzballer use his handloads so that I can have an impartial bunch of handloads going through these rifles. No bias here with ammo selection. Also it's better to have him do the shooting since he loves the trigger time with each of the platforms....

Yup, we are at my home range here in Grey County, and our distance was merely 100meters. Nothing fancy.

The groups:

Name:  EBB6C26F-9E23-4E1A-8157-16F360379B2E.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  96.6 KB

Have a look at the groups placed at the leg of each bipod/platform. The AI group had 13 shots through that ragged hole.

The RPR group has 5 shots through the ragged hole and Buzzballer confessed that he pulled them 2 shots as seen in the picture above and below.....

Name:  05C88CBF-2AA0-461F-B29A-F9880E84DFA4.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  96.5 KB

There, I think you can have a better look at the RPR group. 5 shots in and 2 shots pulled. Not bad for his handloads!

Here is the group for the AI Ax in .308 with Buzzballer's handloads:

Name:  EBB6C26F-9E23-4E1A-8157-16F360379B2E.jpg
Size:  96.6 KB

And a closer look at the RPR .308 Enhanced (Gen 2??) group.... 5 shots in the hole and 2 shots pulled.....

Name:  16523CF6-D1B1-436B-895B-5A14DF2ABF55.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  111.5 KB

Another picture of the 2 rifle platforms and their groups. I'll let you decide which platform can / will / should work for you and your : budget/ cool factor / competition/ game / ammo caliber / outfit color matching, etc, etc

Name:  5A6E5D88-7BBD-4CFF-B953-D5D5CF0BB920.jpg
Size:  97.4 KB

Another picture of the AI Ax and it's S&B PM II with Spuhr mount and 34mm rings.... and the RPR with my Mark 4 6.5 x 20 x 50mm LR / T TMR reticle

Name:  990FAD8B-ADE4-46B3-9F54-BD41E3E1C838.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  88.0 KB

A closer look at my AI Ax and it's proprietary brake..... Shoutout to Grumpy Wolverine who helped make this happen....

So what's all this saying ??

The RPR can shoot really well when you have Buzzballer doing the shooting and not ME!

There is so much more potential in BOTH platforms (Wolverine Supplies sells both of them.... ) once we dial in the handloads to their barrel nodes!

For $1749 and taxes and shipping, you too, can have a great shooting rifle right outta the box. I better go and swab them bores soon!

There... should you buy one RPR ? Nope... go and buy TWO of them in various calibers. I just had to say that! I've been enjoying the RPR since driving across the country with it inside my Tacoma and now I can start playing with it's potential.

You could sink some money into things and buy yourself an AI, they are wonderful, but you can get in the game and hold your own with an RPR.... that's my point

Transporting Your PR Rig

Added on 31 March 2017

Often I get asked; Hard or Soft Case... the answer is YES

Here's how we start...

I remove the foam as soon as I get home (this rig gonna be your final/last/never sell PR rig ever?) and top shelf storage it goes. I don't cut my foam. I just use soft cases... Cabelas case for example (I worked the Gun Counter back in 2014)

I have soft cases that I bought at clearance bins or guns shows or in this case a Tactical Drag Mat that doubles as a carrier/shooting mat.. fast unfolding and very quick on PUFO (Pack Up and Take Off) when GTFO (Get The Heck Out).

I also keep a breech flag (ORA rules: good , bad , or indifferent) handy for my ORA specific shooting bag/case/mat/drag bag. Notice that I've written my first name and CGNutz handle on there (I get it back if I drop it). AND to ensure I don't drop it, I find all these ski/snowboard glove/mitten shoe strings with push button spring loaded locks on the ground at Blue Mountain where I was a lift operator (not an M4 Operator). I pick them up and with a drilled hole in the breech flag, I now loop that string and lock around the bolt knob...

There... didja learn something new?

As your RSO who is last to leave the firing mound, I find/recover all kinds of small kit (sometimes a spotting scope on tripod)

With your PR rig inside the drag bag/soft case, close it up and slide it into your hard case like so:

Now slip in your RCMP brochure somewhere at the bottom of your hard case (repurposed milk bags are your friend) just in case you get stopped by an LEO.

A shout out to KeithC and LindaM of www dot Milcun dot com They are the bosses (and my mentors) of the Milcun Marksmanship Complex. I'm just passing on their wisdom.

More to come .... it's a busy weekend.
    Last edited by TacticalTeacher; 03-21-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Thanks for posting this! I have no need to steel my wife's yoga mat, I have my own for systema - yoga for men, errr... maybe, it is bright blue :/
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

Awesome! Great read.
    CCFR Member - Rifles and Reels shooting club - Sudbury Ontario

Awesome, get half of my gears ready for this season, can't wait see everybody.

Business Member
    Updated / editted to include Hard/Soft Case input....

Wow! Loved the first few picks. I think that was my very first clinic on Yankee range. Wish I had this post back then. I proudly showed up with my uber cool massive hard case that must have been all of 5oz lighter than the rifle in it. Blew the budget on the case and had to get the "tactical tarp" on sale from crappy tire.
    Now have a NC star rifle case / shooting mat. It's great, has survived all kinds of crap weather has all kinds of compartments and I haven't managed to shoot it yet!
    If anyone is nervous about the cost of gear for a clinic like this... Don't worry too much just bring whatever you have. Learn what works for you and go from there.

Thanks Barney, looking forward to this season!

Good read thanks for the knowledge. One day I'll get the Mrs. to let me out and play/learn at a course or two.

Well done B. Thank you.

The future of the sport are the nubs! (me)
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!

I'm just getting into this great read.

Uber Super GunNutz davide montini's Avatar
    Very nice read and post young man please keep up the good work .... we need more people like you...
    viva la FICA ..E va fan culo!!!!!..Ontario government is like the nazis ..too many family and friends in the government...it's who you know and blow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast