Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Cheers for MilArm

CGN frequent flyer Duncan Idaho's Avatar

More Cheers for MilArm

I have been looking around for a 223 for a few months now. I wanted the halfway point between comfortably portable and heavy enough to have some of the heft of a target rifle. This morning I dug into my play money from making a few knives and went off to see what P&D had in stock. They had a couple rifles I was interested in, but the prices were very high, and these are rifles that have been on the shelf for longer than our dollar has been in a slump. Took a while before I could get someone to help me out. I knew I could order a particular rifle from out of province for a lower prive, even with PST and shipping costs, so I asked if they would be willing to price match. A very straight forward "No" to that question.

Rolled on out and down to MilArm. Same rifles that I had my eye on and between $50 and $100 lower in price than P&D, comparable to the firearms from the previously mentioned, out of province dealer. So as I am having a peek trying to decide between a couple of different rifles, some friendly discussion with the guys behind the counter, and one says, "Hey, you were military. 10% discount." Even better, sold.

Another tip of the hat to MilArm for great service and pricing. Always a pleasure. Thanks gents.

Correct on both counts, thats why if Ihave to choose between the 2, I would make the same decision you did.

CGN Regular
    I've got some good deals from Milarm, but some prices are better elsewhere. I do like that the price can be negotiable if the terms are right.

Just a note for buying out of province, you don't pay PST if you are buying from another province as long as you are shipping to Alberta.

Just bought my first handgun from MilArm, great service, easy to deal with and $160 less than I could find it anywhere else, shipped Tuesday, arrived Thursday, and I am now the owner of an FN FNS9, pretty stoked! Thanks MilArm

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Idaho View Post
    I have been looking around for a 223 for a few months now. I wanted the halfway point between comfortably portable and heavy enough to have some of the heft of a target rifle. This morning I dug into my play money from making a few knives and went off to see what P&D had in stock. They had a couple rifles I was interested in, but the prices were very high, and these are rifles that have been on the shelf for longer than our dollar has been in a slump. Took a while before I could get someone to help me out. I knew I could order a particular rifle from out of province for a lower prive, even with PST and shipping costs, so I asked if they would be willing to price match. A very straight forward "No" to that questi

Rolled on out and down to MilArm. Same rifles that I had my eye on and between $50 and $100 lower in price than P&D, comparable to the firearms from the previously mentioned, out of province dealer. So as I am having a peek trying to decide between a couple of different rifles, some friendly discussion with the guys behind the counter, and one says, "Hey, you were military. 10% discount." Even better, sold.

Another tip of the hat to MilArm for great service and pricing. Always a pleasure. Thanks gents.
    I've noticed the attitude changing over at P&D over the last couple of years, and not for the better!! Not so much from the counter staff but from the upper management/ owners. I've bought and sold a lot of guns with them over the years , but my last experience with them where I was trying to consign a couple of guns was a very disappointing experience, the attitude I got from D...e was inexcusable, the days of the quaint little shop that started out as a couple of tables at the local gun shows, seems to be long gone, maybe to big or successful to remember who and what got them to where they are.

Oh well, they aren't the only game in town ... Sa- lav vie!

"East of the Rockies, and west of the rest" - Corb Lund
    The smell of cosmoline always brings back childhood memories of going to Milarm. I used to go to Milarm all the time as a teen and in my early 20s. It was probably my favourite place to go when we went into the city. Alan sold me quite a few milsurps, he was very fun to deal with. I remember skipping school one day because they just posted SKS-Ds on their website. I got my dad to drive me in and buy me one with my money. Got there before opening and Gord was outside and asked what I was looking for. Said I was there to buy an SKS-D so he let us in early. Alan then tried to sell me a crate of them, but being 16 I didn't have much for spare cash. I later did the same thing when they were selling crates of 7.62x39 tracers, but I had some spare cash and came with a 1 ton van that day. The vibe has definitely changed in there over time. It got to the point where I chose to completely stop doing business there. After a few years absence I decided to try them out for a mesa tactical single point sling loop for my Benelli M4. One of the guys there asked me what I was looking for, I told him, and he immediately asked how many rounds I had through it. I replied 500. He said "come back and talk to me when you're at 13000". Didn't have the part either, said he could get it but I was better off trying to find it online. So I did, and a CGN sponsor out of Nanaimo BC ended up getting my money. I gave them another chance and this time got to deal with Gord, he was a pleasure to deal with and I've been back a couple times since then.

Gord is always good to deal with, especially when he owns Milarm, not just the President as before.

Ive bought stuff from there a few time when I lived in Edmonton. I like that shop. Same deal with P&D, always felt like they were more expensive and not as friendly.

Always make a stop at both stores when rolling through Edmonton, never had a bad experience at either...have I believe have always left with something...and usually a hand or arm full!

I hate autocorrect. I always end up posting some thong I didn't Nintendo.

CGN frequent flyer Duncan Idaho's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by plmnkoqaz View Post
    I've got some good deals from Milarm, but some prices are better elsewhere. I do like that the price can be negotiable if the terms are right.

Just a note for buying out of province, you don't pay PST if you are buying from another province as long as you are shipping to Alberta.

Good to know. I was hit with PST on my last two purchases from LeBaron.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast