Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Attention: Power outage!!

CGN Regular
    My dad lives right near their shop and the trees growing near the powerlines haven't been cut in years

I noticed their web site was housed onsite when the server got bogged down during the 858 frenzy.

Mr Wolverine, you might be better of hosting it on Amazon Web services or similar.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer burnaby's Avatar
    But a power outage does bring their business to a halt. They are a product supplier, not a service provider.

For the genZ that can't wait till the site is up that would be a problem. Rest of us knows you ain't getting your product till power is back on.
    Quote Originally Posted by M16LR.50 View Post
    Wolverine, your website should not be hosted on your premises. A power outage should slow your business not bring it to a halt. There are many cloud services that allow cheap reliable hosting... If you want specific suggestions PM me.
    Revolvers RULE; remember that next time you BEND over to pick up brass OR ejected brass pings off the precision gear.
    Looking for a car pool buddy for weekly weekday trips from Burnaby to POCO. Better yet I'll drive weekly and you take me hunting.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by burnaby View Post
    But a power outage does bring their business to a halt. They are a product supplier, not a service provider.

For the genZ that can't wait till the site is up that would be a problem. Rest of us knows you ain't getting your product till power is back on.
    That's bs. There is no excuse in today's world, in Canada (even in rural Canada), to experience such a downtime. Have the site hosted in a true datacenter (I'm sure this level of civilization has reached Winnipeg / Regina), get back-up on-site connectivity through Edge / 3G / LTE / satellite (professional-grade routers provide transparent fail-over, I know, this is my job), an on-site diesel generator, and you're good to go.

That being said, I'm not the one losing money because of the downtime, so if WS is fine with the lost business, then that's ok I guess.

edit: for the story, I've been debugging mobile apps in real time with people in L.A. while there was power outage from a condo in the lower mainland, so anybody telling me this cannot be done is full of crap... Even if my laptop battery ran out, I could have powered it and continue to hack on the app either using a car 110v inverter, or using a jump-starter 12V battery pack.
    Last edited by essorx; 04-15-2016 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Len One O View Post
    Windy day in Regina today. Wondering if you guys are feeling the effects.
    We have a pretty good rain/snow/wind event here in MB today.
    Working towards Ultra Frequent Flyer status at a glacial pace!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer geologist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jparent View Post
    How could they cut the power man? They're Animals!
    Stay frosty.
    "Conservation is the mark of a dying civilization. When your technology is not increasing at the same rate as your population growth you are done. Bring on the next contender.".

Time to buy a generator!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Mark-II's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by burnaby View Post
    No, and how do you figure?

They just finished selling 400 rifles on a Sunday when the shop was closed. Ecommerce has 24/7 availability. That's kinda the point. You take the orders, get the money, and Fulfillment catches up when the staff are on the job.

And a proper host can spin up extra capacity during times of peak demand.

Then you don't get a hundred pissed off guys complaining that they couldn't order their gun.

cash register over heated ?

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by parkervh View Post
    Wolverine, your guns should not be stored on your premises. A power outage should slow your business not bring it to a halt. There are many people like me that allow cheap reliable storage at my house... If you want specific suggestions PM me.
    Is that the kind of storage where you graciously test-fire all guns stored in your premises at the range on a weekly basis? You know, to make sure that they are working great?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast