Page 37 of 57 FirstFirst ... 1727293031323334353637383940414243444547 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill S-223

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rangebob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coho View Post
    Nice interview with Tony Bernardo (CSSA) about all this junk of the new bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc1hN3TbFUY Starts a couple minutes in.
    The Rebel : Lawton Online
    Apr 21, 2016
    Andrew chats with the Canadian Shooting Sports Association's Tony Bernardo about a Liberal Senator's gun bill that could spell disaster for Canadian gun owners
    It's an hour long show, Tony starts around 4:30 (mm:ss) in, and chats for a little over 10 minutes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc1hN3TbFUY

Tony said "Someone's done a put a lot of work into this thing. I don't think it will die easily. 76 pages that re-writes the entire Firearms Act."
    "The only thing that is not circumscribed (restricted) is everything that was restricted, and everything else that's in the country. The only firearms that are not are hunting firearms, and those are confined to smooth bore firearms that are not semi-automatic that have a barrel longer than 18.5". In otherwords a full length shotgun, and 22 semi-auto rifles. Everything else is circumscribed. ... of the approximately 10 million firearms in Canada, this would restrict over 8 million of them."
    "The real hazard of this bill is central storage. There are 2000 gun clubs coast to coast. That means each one of these clubs would have to host 4000 firearms. I don't know of a single gun club in Canada that could do that. The alternative is if you don't store them at a club, you have to turn them into the federal government for destruction. Because you have an alternative, they don't have to pay you compensation for the thousands of dollars of privately owned property they are going to destroy."

Tony says "Gun crime has been going steadily down in Canada since the early 1970s. Even when the gun registry was eliminated it continued its drop, proportionally, it didn't change a bit, it's a steady decline in gun crime in Canada. The gun registry made no difference to anything, but that's what we said for decades."
    Hunting Rifle definition by feds "They're the ones that get to decide what a hunting gun is. This comes from a US failed gun control measure back in I think the 60s and it was 'the sporting purposes test'. The Brits picked it up too, and now the british law is based on 'the sporting purposes test'. So if you're in England and you want to buy a rifle for deer hunting, they will allow you one rifle for the purposes of deer hunting. If you say you want a second one to go to Africa to chase an elephant around, they say 'well you have to prove why you need to do that', and if they give you the firearm they refuse to give you the ammunition because there's no elephants in England. You would have to get the ammunition in Africa when you got there."
    "We're a free society and our wants are not generated by needs, they're generated by desire. If I have the money and I can afford it, I should be able to buy anything I want, as long as it hurts no one else. And clearly, Canadian Firearms Owners aren't hurting other people!"

"Our entire gun control law system is generated by evoking feelings. It has nothing to do with reality. The AR15 is simply a black ugly expensive rifle. It's just a rifle. And in Canada we have magazine restrictions, it's just a 5 shot semi-automatic rifle. Nothing more than that, but we have an entire Hollywood industry that is set upon generating emotional values to inanimate objects. And you notice it in the movie whenever the bad guy reaches for his gun and the music changes, and its now scary and ominous. They're generating this. They're evoking emotion on simple inanimate objects. It's crazy this has happened. What a way to run a railroad."
    "Absolutely zero consultation [with CSSA] and the firearms advisory committee was dissolved on the 31st of Dec 2015. Largest firearms group in Canada and we have no seat at the table."
    "We really don't know. We're not hearing anything coming up in Ottawa. I'm up in Ottawa pretty regularly. I'm talking to people all the time up there. Nobody's hearing anything about anything. This Bill, came out of the Senate, there was no knowledge this was coming, other than the fact that the good senator has put it forth three other times before, and it failed every time. There are some interesting dynamics happening up there around firearms issues. First of all the UN Firearms Marking System which will do literally hundreds of millions of dollars in damage to the Canadian Firearms industry, the lawful firearms industry. That's coming up like a freight train, and it's due to implement in a little over a year. And there's been zero communication with the government on it. Not because we don't try. There's stuff going from our office every single week. We have not had the decency of one single response. Nothing. Might as well be sending it to Mars. Apparently the two million licenced Canadian firearms owners in this country, don't matter. Their concerns don't matter."
    "[One of the largest blocks of Canadians I'm aware of] Absolutely. The only larger block are fishermen. There are more Canadians that use sporting firearms than there are that play hockey. There are more Canadians that use firearms than play golf. And apparently our concerns are completely irrelevant to the government of Canada right now. That is shameful beyond anything you could imagine. We're not a tiny little minority of people. We're a very large minority."
    One eye to the past. One eye to the future. The wisest course.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bfiles's Avatar
    ^^^^^ this is NOT good
    CSSA CCFR PROUD MEMBER
    "Sleep in bliss Pops"!!!!!!

I love that hunting firearms are described as shotguns or .22 caliber rifles..... and it's illigal to hunt with a .22

So basically we get to be danger close when hunting, and completely obliterate our meat with a shotgun. Yay liberals!
    NFA member. Because it's not just about "sport shooting"

(also posted in the other thread)

The NATIONAL FIREARMS ASSOCIATION and the CANADIAN SHOOTING SPORTS ASSOCIATION
    Every one of us should spend the $45 per association to become members.
    You also get liability insurance coverage with this.

Let me also remind you who supports the anti-fact & anti-civil-liberties "Coalition for Gun Control" in this country:
    The YWCA
    The Canadian Labour Congress
    Canadian Auto Workers
    National Union of Public and General Employees

They are all in league with The International Action Network on Small Arms (IANSA) - an international non-governmental organisation recognised by the United Nations: "IANSA's Women's Network is the only international network focused on the connections between gender, women's rights, small arms and armed violence."

Gee, I wonder why the Trudeau Liberals are taking Olympic shooters off of the CANADIAN FIREARMS ADVISORY COMMITTEE and replacing them with "representatives" from "women's groups"??
    "Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi

So lets have it right. According to this nonsense, all current bolt action center fire hunting rifles will be restricted and locked in central storage?

Quote Originally Posted by J996 View Post
    So lets have it right. According to this nonsense, all current bolt action center fire hunting rifles will be restricted and locked in central storage?
    Almost everything will. Eat that you fudds

Quote Originally Posted by KidGlock View Post
    And I have to say, what is up with this subset of hunters/firearms owners?
    Don't these characters understand that they are being targeted by the anti-gun/anti-civil liberties crowd as well?
    Do these firearms owners think that the Liberals will leave them alone? That somehow, they will be exempted?
    In Australia, it wasn't just your semi-auto Benelli 12 gauge that they banned. It was your pump-action Mossberg too! (Oh, but lever action shotguns are just fine in Australia. No danger when your reloading-movement is more vertical than horizontal. Right?)

The anti-gun/anti-civil liberties people are, ultimately, about disarmament of the public. That is why whatever they achieve is never enough. They believe in the anti-fact/anti-empirical position that "more guns = more violence". They want a country and a world without guns. The actual facts with regard to harm, danger and crime don't actually matter. That is obvious. They will come for your "hunting" guns and your civil liberties too.

And we should all care about the preservation of civil liberties whether those liberties are to our personal taste/preference or not.
    "Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi

CGN Regular
    Another stupid liberal gun control bill, they haven,t learn a thing from C-68

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rangebob's Avatar
    text of bill S233

circumscribed firearm means
    (a) a handgun that is not a prohibited firearm,
    (b) a firearm — other than a prohibited firearm — that has a barrel equal to or less than 470 mm,
    (c) a firearm — other than a prohibited firearm — that is capable of discharging centre-fire ammunition in a semi-automatic manner, or
    (d) a firearm that is designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm by folding, telescoping or otherwise;

hunting firearm means a firearm — other than a prohibited firearm or a circumscribed firearm — that is prescribed to be a hunting firearm and that
    (a) has a smoothbore barrel that is more than 470 mm long,
    (b) has a striated barrel that is more than 470 mm long and that can discharge 22-calibre rimfire ammunition in a semi-automatic manner, or
    (c) is designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm by folding, telescoping or otherwise;

Text of the bill
    http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublicati...&DocId=8177232

----------------

"that is prescribed to be a hunting firearm" means to me that there are no (zero, none) hunting firearms, until a California style "Roster of Approved Firearms" (list of firearms make/model the government says you may own) is created.
    Note that although there are new models of firearms every day, the California "Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale" has been shrinking every year since it's creation in 2001.
    One eye to the past. One eye to the future. The wisest course.

Quote Originally Posted by KidGlock View Post
    Lol, I shoot all kinds of guns.
    I read the bill and was pulling a face the whole time, it is a disaster of a document. In addition to the ridiculous drivel of banning semi autos (that part is clear in their agenda) and smoothbore hunting guns, it mentiones "striated barrel". What in the flock is a striated barrel? Is that a reference to rifling? They also state "that is prescribed to be a hunting firearm" which sounds like they will decide what is and what is not a hunting firearm. Not like it really matters since they will register, oops I mean "inscribe" everything anyway so they can take it away later. So I will ask again, who can make sense out of this garbage?

circumscribed firearm means
    (a) a handgun that is not a prohibited firearm,
    (b) a firearm — other than a prohibited firearm — that has a barrel equal to or less than 470 mm,
    (c) a firearm — other than a prohibited firearm — that is capable of discharging centre-fire ammunition in a semi-automatic manner, or
    (d) a firearm that is designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm by folding, telescoping or otherwise;
    hunting firearm means a firearm — other than a prohibited firearm or a circumscribed firearm — that is prescribed to be a hunting firearm and that
    (a) has a smoothbore barrel that is more than 470 mm long,
    (b) has a striated barrel that is more than 470 mm long and that can discharge 22-calibre rimfire ammunition in a semi-automatic manner, or
    (c) is designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm by folding, telescoping or otherwise;