quick question about your milsurp firearms

I bought an SKS from Marstar in 2015 which was listed as "refurb to EXCELLENT+". The stock had been sanded down, seemed like the cosmo had been baked out of it (you never get it all), but the best part was the action. No cosmo, the thing was good to go right out of the box. Bolt Gas system Range pic.

I was very pleased.

the cosmoey the better bro....hope it comes smothered...you know it hasn't been messed with .....it comes off super easy with boiling water......mmmmmmmmmm preservation

"If you know of a source that can store guns for five decades without preservation treatment let me know. And we found no skatemike77 on file."

Hey Marstar, do you guys clean off all the cosmoline on your sks's or mosin's for example?

De-cosmo-ing is the fun part. I love it. It isn't hard. It is a little time consuming but I have yet to see a business spend the time to clean milsurp cosmo.

We do not clean off the cosmoline.
Most surplus rifle we sell are not covered in cosmoline, but for those that are we recommend using brake cleaner to clean them off.

It wouldn't be a good idea for the importer/seller to take the Cosmo off of most surplus, I bought a 59/66 from Marstar a couple years ago, it was as new still in the Cosmo wrapped in wax/ Cosmo ish paper, that is how I left it, taking the Cosmo off that rifle would possibly devalue it!

Last edited:
ok thanks for the responses gents.

Watched a bunch of vids on youtube for cosmo removal. Does not seem too much of a pain in the ass. Lotta guys use mineral salts first then into the boiling water- this is for all the moving parts. How would you guys do the stock and gas tube cover?

Watched a bunch of vids on youtube for cosmo removal. Does not seem too much of a pain in the ass. Lotta guys use mineral salts first then into the boiling water- this is for all the moving parts. How would you guys do the stock and gas tube cover?

Crud cutter / brake cleaner works fine.

For the wood, I like to let it sit in direct sunlight during a hot summer day and watch the cosmoline melt out of it, you can also put it in a black garbage bag for faster results.

Back
Top Bottom