Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overnight stay w/restricted

Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    Based on what exactly?

Shawn
    A guy had some restricteds locked in one of those lockboxes in the back of a pickup, inside a locked case inside the locked lockbox and they got stolen and he got charged.

Can't leave restricteds in a car overnight, that becomes "storage" instead of "transport" so storage rules.

Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    I recall that there was a conviction involving firearms left overnight in a car, rather than being brought into the home, after the owner returned from using them.

If I were in the OP's situation, the double locked guns would be with me in the room, and locked in my vehicle if I were to go for a meal. The guns aren't being stored in the car, they are in transit.
    Yes and all those cases were people leaving non restricted in their vehicles in accordance with transport regs and not storage regs. And buying into the the, always in a car its it transport BS

Quote Originally Posted by canmic View Post
    A guy had some restricteds locked in one of those lockboxes in the back of a pickup, inside a locked case inside the locked lockbox and they got stolen and he got charged.

Can't leave restricteds in a car overnight, that becomes "storage" instead of "transport" so storage rules.
    Care to post up the case

As there is nothing in "storage" regs that say you cant store in a car. The rules for storage and transport for restricted are the same, there is no difference.

Shawn

It would be interesting to see this case if you could post. Many calls with CFO and always told in room or in trunk of vehicle locked as normally would transporting to range

Super Moderator
    If I am participating in events away from home, overnight or longer, the firearms are being transported to a range for the permitted purpose.
    That is the circumstance to which your CFO was referring.

Just keep them secure.

Recently travelled from Nova Scotia to QC, stayed in hotels and stored in the hotel room. Locked in a locked case with the "do not disturb sign".

Whenever we went for dinner, shoved the cased under on of the beds (4 ar/2 pistols dont fit in an hotel safe)
    Left wing, right wing, they belong to the same bird.

CGN frequent flyer
    I recently called the RCMP's firearms help line with this exact question, and the exact same scenario. I was out of town and had a course, was staying at a hotel, etc.

I was told to store them as usual when in transit, (double locked, in trunk, etc) and to store them in the hotel overnight. If I was to go anywhere else, I was advised to leave them in the room, locked in the safe if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by jory View Post
    I recently called the RCMP's firearms help line with this exact question, and the exact same scenario. I was out of town and had a course, was staying at a hotel, etc.

I was told to store them as usual when in transit, (double locked, in trunk, etc) and to store them in the hotel overnight. If I was to go anywhere else, I was advised to leave them in the room, locked in the safe if possible.
    Had the same advice when I first got my RPAL and went to a Black Badge Course.

Quote Originally Posted by MCP View Post
    Store them in your room. You can not store them in your car if they are restricted. I recently attended a course in another province. Stayed in a hotel, stored my pistol there and when I went to dinner I took the barrel in my pocket. More a piece of mind that if it did get stolen, it would be useless for a while.
    Your advice could land someone in trouble.
    An overnight stay puts the guns in transport. Follow the transport regs.
    *unless your att covers the hotel, which it doesn't.
    **call your cfo for a temp att covering the room, if that's where you'd prefer to store.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 9x19p View Post
    Your advice could land someone in trouble.
    An overnight stay puts the guns in transport. Follow the transport regs.
    *unless your att covers the hotel, which it doesn't.
    **call your cfo for a temp att covering the room, if that's where you'd prefer to store.
    Do you have any foundation for this opinion?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer StoneHorse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greywolf67nt View Post
    When I travel they are in a locked case in the room, in a drawer or suitcase and the Do Not Disturb sign on the door.
    That is what I do. Locked as per transport regs, case out of sight, Do Not Disturb sign on the door and leave the TV on but not too loud. The wife thinks leaving the TV on is a bit much but it doesn't hurt.

They are never left in the vehicle overnight.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast