Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overnight stay w/restricted

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Silveragent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 9x19p View Post
    Your advice could land someone in trouble.
    An overnight stay puts the guns in transport. Follow the transport regs.
    *unless your att covers the hotel, which it doesn't.
    **call your cfo for a temp att covering the room, if that's where you'd prefer to store.
    I called the CFO because I was going to attend a match and they did not bother to issue me an ATT even since I was on the way to another range, even though I was staying two nights at a hotel.
    ---
    Home club : PCDHFC, shoots IPSC, black rifles, hunts badly

Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    Do you have any foundation for this opinion?
    In a hotel room, with a restricted, is the gun in use, storage, or transport?

Does the hotel address match the address on your att?
    No? Then you can't store or use there.

You can't transport in a hotel.

Iirc a statt may be requested, using the hotel address as temp storage. Other than that, provisions are written for unattended transport. It does not include a hotel room.

CGN frequent flyer
    A STATT is not needed, as per the lady at the RCMP office I spoke to- C42 covers that short of a stay. They said the only way that it would be an issue is if I was there for a longer time period. In my case, it was over the weekend.

Iirc a statt may be requested, using the hotel address as temp storage. Other than that, provisions are written for unattended transport. It does not include a hotel room.
    Go ahead and post up the law that says you can only store a restricted at the address listed on your ATT

And the courts have rules multiple time in multiple jurisdictions that leaving a firearm in a vech for an extended amount of time is in fact storage not transportation.

Shawn

In "practical" terms this issue really isn't one...

I challenge anyone to find one instance where a shooter was charged with anything remotely associated with storage/transport in the OP's situation.
    Bernie Rhodes knows. Don't Argue

CGN Ultra frequent flyer StoneHorse's Avatar

How do you think IPSC competitors attend out of town matches?

Doesnt seem worth the trouble to me.

Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    Based on what exactly?

Shawn
    The fact that the OP stated he was going to a restaurant etc..... If he was travelling to or from a range with a stop at a hotel he MAY be able to get away with leaving them in his car overnight. (I don't know why you would want to as cars get broken into all the time). If he is going to and from a hotel /restaurant with restricted in his vehicle he definitely is not driving the most reasonable/direct route to and from a range as per the regs.

Quote Originally Posted by MCP View Post
    The fact that the OP stated he was going to a restaurant etc..... If he was travelling to or from a range with a stop at a hotel he MAY be able to get away with leaving them in his car overnight. (I don't know why you would want to as cars get broken into all the time). If he is going to and from a hotel /restaurant with restricted in his vehicle he definitely is not driving the most reasonable/direct route to and from a range as per the regs.
    Post the law that says that.

And that law does not say most reasonable/direct route. Its says:

A chief firearms officer who issues an authorization to transport shall attach to it the condition that the firearm be transported by a route that, in all the circumstances, is reasonably direct.
    http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...age-1.html#h-8

Eating on a multi day trip more that covers reasonably direct

Shawn

I wasn't quoting...I figured most be people would get the point with the "reasonable/direct" point of my post. It is my OPINiON that the reasonably direct route would include stops for food ALONG the way to or from the range.....not driving to a hotel, checking in, and going out to dinner. Every ATT I have ever read says from point of registration (usually your house) to Approved range/verifier etc with the condition you have quoted above. I have travelled out of province for courses and obtained various STATT. This statt specifically stated my firearm could be transported from home to the hotel (with address) and stored there, to and from range, and home.....with the condition you quoted above. It says nothing about going out for dinner in the evening while I have no intention of going or coming from the range.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast