Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A little history, we've been here for almost 70 years!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer gwhysow's Avatar
    Congratulations, boys and girls! Here's to 70 more!

...and yes, Al's most certainly does have some of the best pricing around. Key to maintaining good prices: own your building, and have relationships with suppliers that are older than most members here

You should submit the pictures to Toronto archive!

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

Supporting Dealer Al Flaherty's's Avatar
    2066 Dufferin Street, Toronto, Ontario, M6E3R6
    Quote Originally Posted by greentips View Post
    You should submit the pictures to Toronto archive!
    We actually found them there and paid to get a digital copy of both, $50 well spent

The originals are actually huge resolution, good scans
    Team Al Flaherty's
    www.alflahertys.com
    info@alflahertys.com
    416-651-6436
    Toll free 1-888-651-6436
    Follow us on Twitter @Al Flaherty's
    Follow us on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/al_flahertys/

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Winchester-1897's Avatar
    so was I right, is the car a 57 Mercury Monarch?

CGN frequent flyer
    Once I saw this on reddit I figured it would be here too. Here's what I posted on reddit about what I found out when searching for the age of the photos:

It's hard to tell, but license plates back then all had years on the plate, and I think they got replaced every year. Only one plate is legible, B-33896, but the year in the top-right is too small to be read. According to Wikipedia, the style of license plate it uses was first introduced in 1966. We see according to Wikipedia that they alternated between blue letters on a white background and white letters on a blue background, and that this format was used until 1971, with 1972 introducing the ABC-123 format and "Keep it Beautiful" slogan.

Given that this is a white-on-blue plate, it means it is from one of 1967, 1969, or 1970. In the second photo we can see some other plates, but not well enough to tell for sure exactly what all their numbers are, but they do follow the expected format according to Wikipedia.

This actually taught me something too, it taught me that my grandfather had the same plates since sometime between 1978 and 1982, since his said "Keep it Beautiful" on them.

EDIT: I need to make some corrections. I decided to actually search up the plates from those years, and they didn't have the crown and Ontario on the top, just the year. 1967 also had "Confederation" on it and 19 and 67 in the corners. I then decided to look up plates from before 1966. 1965 was a white-on-blue plate with the right kind of format. 1964 it was black-on-white. 1963 it was white-on-black, and it did this in a format the same as what we see on each of those cars up until 1955, with every odd year being black. However, 1963 is the only year with a white border all the way around the plate. From the photo with the visible plate, B-33896, it seems like it has a white border all the way around the plate.

This means the plate is actually from either 1965 or 1963, with 1963 being more likely since the plate does actually look darker than I think the blue would show up as. However, if we take that border as being a cover for the plate on the car, it could be from any time between 1955 and 1963. However, given that some people on reddit have said one of the cars on the street in one picture is from the early '60s, that means the picture is from either 1961 or 1963.

To add to this, we see the Union Jack flying on the business across the street, which is a little odd, since it looks like an apartment building. The Canadian flag was first introduced in 1965 in February. This means the picture is likely from before then.
    Last edited by F-Tang; 05-03-2016 at 06:30 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dexter Morgan's Avatar
    I buy stuff from you guys;

Mainly because it makes David Miller angry. LOL.

CGN frequent flyer
    Looks like 1956 Meteor, top one

CGN frequent flyer
    Bottom pic right side 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk!

Impressive for any business to stay in business for 70 years, but it's doubly impressive for a sporting goods store, battling not only market forces, but the continuous onslaught of enlightened legislation. I know there are several businesses here in Calgary that have come and gone in that period, some in my own 30 years. Well done, and here's for another 70 - maybe we'll then be discussing the hilarity of our primitive 'ground vehicles' :P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12