Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Completed AP1 Course

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Burke View Post
    What happened to your M&P? I thought you switched cause of mag issues? Any idea what the make of the 1911 that broke was?

Re the guns used: it was quite the healthy mix. Definetely quite a few Glocks, M&Ps, a few 1911s. I saw at least two sigs, a Walther and an HK. Oddly enough, I don't think I saw a Shadow out. As for calibre, it was mostly 9mm, but at least three people were using 40, and one was a 45.

ETA: oh, and tip for people looking to take the course: Clean your gun the night before the course. It was strange watching people suddently have a series of stoppages after lunch and ~500 rds. Course some of that might have been fatigue.
    Wasn't me that broke... I was shooting a Glock. The 1911 that broke was my brothers .45 Norinco. It was cleaned and well maintained. It is a new gun with maybe 500 rounds before the course. The slide stop sheared in half. He was the guy with all the stoppages after lunch.

Jeff

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    Took a quick look at the TDSA site. Quite impressive for a Canadian school.
    750rd count/ day is a very high number!
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rhshooter View Post
    Wasn't me that broke... I was shooting a Glock. The 1911 that broke was my brothers .45 Norinco. It was cleaned and well maintained. It is a new gun with maybe 500 rounds before the course. The slide stop sheared in half. He was the guy with all the stoppages after lunch.

Jeff
    Oh, did you use a M&P on a previous course or was it someone else they were giving flack about shooting the Glock better than the M&P? And damn, probably a poorly qc'd material used to make the slide stop. I could have sworn it wasn't just him having stoppages, though. Eh, my memory could be off for all I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Still alive View Post
    Took a quick look at the TDSA site. Quite impressive for a Canadian school.
    750rd count/ day is a very high number!
    The 750 count is the high end number. I think I shot 616 rds in the course itself. You can shoot more or less depending on how many mags you bring and how quickly you can load them.

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bacardi View Post
    So you are holster qualified once you completed the AP1 course? Is it the same with black badge course then?
    Is IWB allowed?

Too bad you have to be Silverdale member to attend.
    Hello bacardI,

Yes. Our AP1 class will get you our holster certification and our holster card.

Yes you may use your IWB holster, and you need not be a silverdale member. Just pay the gate fee up at the office.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tdsacanada View Post
    Hello bacardI,

Yes. Our AP1 class will get you our holster certification and our holster card.

Yes you may use your IWB holster, and you need not be a silverdale member. Just pay the gate fee up at the office.
    Do you accept training certs from other firearm training courses for your AP2 and 3 courses or must you take the AP1?
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Still alive View Post
    Do you accept training certs from other firearm training courses for your AP2 and 3 courses or must you take the AP1?
    That is correct, AP1 is the pre requisite for Ap2. Also, you must have taken AP1 & AP2 in order to take AP3.

The classes all build on each other. So an individual would be at a big disadvantage trying to take the 2nd teir class without taking the first.

That being said, our 2nd level classes are 90% dynamic. The first level are all static shooting. You learn our platform and techniques in AP1 that the content in Ap2 builds on.

Also keeping safety in mind of course, we don't want anyone taking a dynamic course that hasn't already proved they can be safe in a static position.

CGN Regular
    Let me add my endorsement too. The day was awesome - most fun I've had at Silverdale to date. There was a great instructor to student ratio and the instructors were all great - knowledgeable, friendly and enthusiastic. Being able to shoot steel was a big plus, especially the drill where all of us (16?) were shooting as fast as possible, lots of noise including the crazy pinging of bullets hitting the targets.

Ian (one of the Sigs)

Just a short aside as I'm not a member at Silverdale and the AP1 isn't named on the courses page, but what did the course cost? I'm assuming it was a bring your own ammo affair or was that included.

CGN Regular
    You'll need to go to the TDSA site to get all the info but the cost was about $350, ammo extra.

Expired Business Member
    Ap1 is $330 + hst.

All course fees can be found on our website.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast