Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Completed AP1 Course

CGN Regular

Just Completed AP1 Course

My brother and I just did the AP1 course at Silverdale yesterday and I have to say it was completely worth it. We learned a lot and the entire experience was very impressive. The instructor running the course (Aaron) kept it fun while pushing us and doing an excellent job of cramming an absolute ton of information on all of us (I'm still absorbing a lot of it really...) The other instructors were great as well and were there to positively identify and correct our mistakes throughout (and there were plenty!)

We shot a LOT for one day and by the end my hands were pretty raw. Most people shot between 650 and 1000 rounds. Special thanks to instructor Doug who patiently pointed out the errors that I kept making and kindly lent my brother one of his guns after his Norinco broke towards the end of the class. The only other gun that broke was an M & P...

Scott and the entire TDSA organization were great and the absolute focus on safety made us feel very comfortable in what could be a dangerous environment. The course was well run and efficient but moves very fast. You can't help but get better.

I recommend this course to pretty much anyone interested in becoming a better pistol shooter. This is not a PG rated environment so if some language and friendly mockery bothers you it might be better to go elsewhere but I think everyone was having a good time yesterday. You are shooting at steel targets from about 10 meters and you will get hit with plenty of spalling shrapnel so keep your 'eyes' on at all times. Bring non-greasy sunscreen. You will be doing lots of speed reloads so expect to drop your magazines in the dirt. If you have a second pistol bring it as a backup because guns break when you fire this many rounds this fast. Be prepared for your M & P to be made fun of.

My thanks to Scott and the guys and if my work schedule permits I hope to be at the shotgun course in June.

Jeff

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    So what was the predominant handgun at the course? Glocks, 1911s and Shadows?

Was this a static line shoot or was there movement involved?
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Still alive View Post
    So what was the predominant handgun at the course? Glocks, 1911s and Shadows?

Was this a static line shoot or was there movement involved?
    Lots of Glocks and 1911s, a SIG and a Walther that I could identify. This course is a static line only. The course includes a holster certification as well.

Jeff

Cool! Is there an AP2 and 3 too?
    Here's a tip. Now that you've learnt enough to make your head spin, write as much of it down as you can. You'll be surprised how much you forget in a very short time. Also write down any jewels your instructor may have said. Sometimes, the pro tips are worth more than the course itself.
    Then practice the skills often. Shooting is a degradable skill unless you constantly refresh it.
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

CGN Regular
    There is an AP2 and some other more advanced pistol courses. You are right about writing it all down and in fact TDSA sends everyone a "cheat-sheet" right after the course to help you remember as well as to help guide our practice. I personally think I would retake this course and practice a lot before I took the AP2. A number of guys at the course were doing it for the 2nd or 3rd time...

Quote Originally Posted by rhshooter View Post
    There is an AP2 and some other more advanced pistol courses. You are right about writing it all down and in fact TDSA sends everyone a "cheat-sheet" right after the course to help you remember as well as to help guide our practice. I personally think I would retake this course and practice a lot before I took the AP2. A number of guys at the course were doing it for the 2nd or 3rd time...
    Here's another tip. Since you are doing static line shooting with a holster, go online and print out the DOT Torture targets. They are 2" circles x10 with different instructions for each circle. Shoot the targets at 10ft. The skills involve support hand shooting, draws and reloads. Pretty sure you will find it useful after your AP1 course. Good luck and enjoy!
    CCFR CPC

CGN Regular
    Thanks for that... I'll give them a try.

So you are holster qualified once you completed the AP1 course? Is it the same with black badge course then?
    Is IWB allowed?

Too bad you have to be Silverdale member to attend.

CGN Regular
    What happened to your M&P? I thought you switched cause of mag issues? Any idea what the make of the 1911 that broke was?

Re the guns used: it was quite the healthy mix. Definetely quite a few Glocks, M&Ps, a few 1911s. I saw at least two sigs, a Walther and an HK. Oddly enough, I don't think I saw a Shadow out. As for calibre, it was mostly 9mm, but at least three people were using 40, and one was a 45.

ETA: oh, and tip for people looking to take the course: Clean your gun the night before the course. It was strange watching people suddently have a series of stoppages after lunch and ~500 rds. Course some of that might have been fatigue.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bacardi View Post
    So you are holster qualified once you completed the AP1 course? Is it the same with black badge course then?
    Is IWB allowed?

Too bad you have to be Silverdale member to attend.
    I can't speak to the IWB since I think everyone was OWB but it's not the same as BB. Not every club will recognize the TDSA qualification for general use (EESA for example.) And don't have to do a match a year to maintain it.
    You also don't have to be a Silverdale member to attend the courses. Worst case you pay a 10/20$ entry pass to the range.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast