Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Got my Star Super B... Pictures up...

Quote Originally Posted by El_Monty457 View Post
    I'm pretty sure as well that that hard rust coloured crust is old caked-up preservative, not rust, as once I'd cleaned it off, there was no pitting on the bluing or metal underneath. It cleans out nicely with a good stiff nylon or brass/bronze brush, liberally doused in your choice of gun solvent. I use a combination of either good old Hoppes #9 or Polymer Safe Quick Scrub III (by Shooters Choice), depending on how tough it is, alternating between the two products. I'm sure if you left it soaking in some diluted general degreaser for a while (remove the plastic or wood handgrips first), it would dissolve it into soft, much easier to clean muck as well.
    If you are referring to that brownish layer at the blued surfaces of the Star modelo Super B pistol it IS definitely rust. Some of them are rusted more some less. It is absolutely normal for blued guns to develop a very thin layer of rust which is nothing else but a red iron oxide, Fe2O3, especially if the handgun like the Star is over 40 years old!. The bluing itself is a black iron oxide, Fe3O4, which to a small extent protects against formation of Fe2O3 (rust) but not completely. I have brand new deeply blued rifles like the Zastava M22 and M85 and they also have a very thin layer of Fe2O3 developed on the relatively thick blued layer. You can’t see it with a naked eye but it’s sufficient to rub a white cloth for a while and it becomes reddish from the rust. This is absolutely normal phenomenon. Like I said in my previous post, I spray a blued surface with Ballistol, wait for an hour or so and then rub in the Ballistol into the surface with a white cloth. I change the cloth a few times because it becomes reddish from removed rust layers. I do it until there is no red color on the cloth. Then again apply Ballistol and leave for storage. This way, the surfaces are seasoned and the tendency to rust is greatly diminished but still every 4-5 months I rub the surfaces with Ballistol and every time I can see a bit of reddish color on the white piece of cloth. The blued surfaces on guns need a constant care. Not so with phosphated, Cerakote, DuraCoat, Gun-Kote, Tenifer, Bruniton and many other gun coatings developed in the past 40 years. They are much more rust resistance than simple bluing.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ben777lemay's Avatar
    I just sent an email to Anthony.

I asked for an exchange, I hope he will agree...
    If not I will take the refund and try to find one on the EE.

Wish me luck

Quote Originally Posted by ben777lemay View Post
    Guys, I received my pistol and I was dissapointed.
    I send it back and asked for an exchange but Anthony told me he don't see nothing wrong with it.

The condition is... hmmm... I don't want to bash but... Judge by yourself...

Rust inside the pistol pretty much everywhere that I can see.

The slide also jam in the back and both mags are very-very hard to insert and remove. I'm sure aside the rust, this pistol have machanical problems.
    I saw all the videos about the Star Model B Super on Youtube and I can't even remove the slide from the frame, something jam.

Tell me what you think of the pistol ?
    Maybe I'm crazy, tell me if its the case.
    I owned alot of firearms over the years and I will not accept something in this condition.
    Thats crap... they should not have sold that to you IMO. Or sold it at a discount

It will probably be perfectly fine if you oil it and/or let it soak in thick oil and lightly brush it.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Roc View Post
    Thats crap... they should not have sold that to you IMO. Or sold it at a discount
    Huh?

Thing looks perfectly fine to me. It's an old gun that has been sitting in storage for a few decades at least, and has some fine surface 'rust'.

Disassemble, oil, rub down, oil, assemble, shoot.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - JFK

"Covenants without the sword are but words, and of no strength to secure a man at all." - Hobbes

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Huh?

Thing looks perfectly fine to me. It's an old gun that has been sitting in storage for a few decades at least, and has some fine surface 'rust'.

Disassemble, oil, rub down, oil, assemble, shoot.
    Looks pretty rusted to me?

On their website it does say they are all in amazing "like new" condition or something like that.

So if it was rusted I would expect them to tell me is all. Seems reasonable. Also seems like they took it back no problem. Not a knock on the dealer really.
    Last edited by K-Roc; 06-22-2016 at 05:48 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ben777lemay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Roc View Post
    Also seems like they took it back no problem. Not a knock on the dealer really.
    They have a 30 days no questions asked return policy.

Lets see how they will handle my case... I'm more hoping for an exchange than a refund, we'll see !

I just received mine today. I don't think it has ever been issued, looks brand new, two magazines ,one brand new and one used. New mag free falls but used one doesn't. trigger pull is very stiff .I would say around 10 pounds, and no sign of so called rust. Over all I am very happy with my purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by haim View Post
    I just received mine today. I don't think it has ever been issued, looks brand new, two magazines ,one brand new and one used. New mag free falls but used one doesn't. trigger pull is very stiff .I would say around 10 pounds, and no sign of so called rust. Over all I am very happy with my purchase.
    Yes, the trigger pull is indeed stiff. I measured trigger pull on my Star Super B and it came out at 9.6-10.5 lbs. On the other hand, it is very crisp and breaks very cleanly without creep. I shoot my Star wearing shooting gloves which helps with that stiff trigger. A typical military pistol, having a military pistol trigger pull, remember about that.
    You will be even more happy shooting it. So far, the PMC Bronze 115gr did well in my Star. Ordered more on sale from Canada Ammo.

CGN Regular
    Hi all got mine on Tuesday from Tradeex, cleaned it thoroughly and took to the range yesterday. Put 50 rounds through it between the 2 Mags. Ran flawlessly. It also looked to me to be unfired. I really like this pistol. I have small hands and found the grip to be perfect for me!