Gonged out... be ringing this bad boy tomorrow

I think they may be a real bugger to undo when it comes time, you will be cutting them off which isn't a big deal.

That mild steel is like peanut butter when hit.

I will try find my photos tonight of a grade 70 chain taking a hit, the quick links and snap hooks which just failed from force not hits and mild steel bolts.

Here is my link to hard steel vs mild plate , not directly related but gives an idea.

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1415119-AR400-vs-Mild-steel-gongs

What about the steel shackles I got in there, would it be better to replace the top quick links with those? The chain is pretty thick....I think it should be OK?

What about the steel shackles I got in there, would it be better to replace the top quick links with those? The chain is pretty thick....I think it should be OK?

The simpler the better, if you can "hook" the chain on to your support instead of using quick links that's a win. Even tye-wire or baling wire is good for some quick repairs if you blow apart the chain. Get some hardened bolts for the connection to the gong and if you can figure out a way of hooking the chain on there without having to deal with bolts or expensive connectors even better.
example_1_896aff23-e77c-4065-8ed0-ffa5a4bebdbb.jpg

You will figure it out once you start blasting it to pieces...... :) Bolt cutters, extra chain, bailing wire, bungy's, duct tape, nylon webbing, converer belts, maybe even old fan belts..... the more bits you have the more creative you can get!

We just had our Range open house this weekend. We came away with the observation that we need to upgrade our gong hanging methodology. We have 8" AR500 gongs at 200m and 400m. After about 70 rounds off 338 Luapa, the 400m gong came off one chain. The bolts were never hit, but the shear force of being bounced deformed the washers and pulled the bolt through the hole. I'm actually surprised we never broke a chain. Any advice/thoughts on bolt hardware? Fixing gongs in 30+ deg heat while the deer files eat you alive isn't my idea of a good time when i could be shooting instead.

On another note, we couldn't shoot at 200m. We found the gong on the ground in the morning. It was blown off the chain before we started. There was a freaking hole right through the gong. Still trying to figure out WTF was fired at it to punch right through it. 100 rounds of 338 Luapa at 400m in one day, and not even a mark, but the other was shot clean through.

Thoughts?

My buddy's stand used those same shackles. One round blew one of them out of the back of the wood. I've seen chain take hits too, and break. That's why I ended up using 3000 lb ratchet strapping. Wrapped around the top, and bolted at the gong. Errant shots do next to nothing. I've got some pretty badly mauled material with enough strength to keep on trucking. I do like the conveyor belt idea though. That seems even better, as it'll take the abuse and help damper the swinging.

Having said that, though. Go out and shoot! You got a gong, and I bet you're dying to hear her sing :) Any improvements you need to make can be done when they need to be done.

Yeah.... you're right, time to blow the #### out of it lol.
Straps sound like a good idea, I can get these tree saver tow straps for next to nothing....thanks for that idea! Should bolt on right easy.
DBI_1003006.jpg

41NYNevUcAL._AC_US160_.jpg

You need bigger heavier gongs or move them further out.

These ranges are quite close for .338LM.

Your targets/gongs will be getting a terrible beating that close getting hit that hard.

We just had our Range open house this weekend. We came away with the observation that we need to upgrade our gong hanging methodology. We have 8" AR500 gongs at 200m and 400m. After about 70 rounds off 338 Luapa, the 400m gong came off one chain. The bolts were never hit, but the shear force of being bounced deformed the washers and pulled the bolt through the hole. I'm actually surprised we never broke a chain. Any advice/thoughts on bolt hardware? Fixing gongs in 30+ deg heat while the deer files eat you alive isn't my idea of a good time when i could be shooting instead.

On another note, we couldn't shoot at 200m. We found the gong on the ground in the morning. It was blown off the chain before we started. There was a freaking hole right through the gong. Still trying to figure out WTF was fired at it to punch right through it. 100 rounds of 338 Luapa at 400m in one day, and not even a mark, but the other was shot clean through.

Thoughts?

I have switched from chain to used skidoo or ATV belts.

I run the belt through the hole in my steel and tie a knot.
They have super durability and withstand a LOT of abuse without much sign of damage to the belt

For a stand that will last.. google threaded pipe target stand it is easy to make and holds up pretty well

Last edited:
You need bigger heavier gongs or move them further out.

These ranges are quite close for .338LM.

Your targets/gongs will be getting a terrible beating that close getting hit that hard.

As mentioned, after 100 rounds of .338, there wasn't even a mark on the 1/2" plate at 400m. Most people shoot 308 up to 300 magnum at that range. The .338 was an exception.

Even then, a clean hole at 200 seems pretty dirty. The rest of the plate was flawless.

Ok, here is the photos...

They didn't fair well, that was hanging my gong at 1000 yards, maybe 10 hits.

300gr SMK @ 500 yards.Bullet just touched the end of the bolt then into the washer and chain.

300gr SMK @ 500 yards.Lead deposits on chain, no other damage.

Sorry , was first shot of the night at that gong(mild steel) , windage was good, I apologize for the elevation error. :redface:

I am thinking somebody was shooting something they shouldn't of had.

As mentioned, after 100 rounds of .338, there wasn't even a mark on the 1/2" plate at 400m. Most people shoot 308 up to 300 magnum at that range. The .338 was an exception.

Even then, a clean hole at 200 seems pretty dirty. The rest of the plate was flawless.

Your quick links and small clevises won't finish your day of shooting.

You will need some grade 70 minimum chain , bolt it to the back side of your plate.

There is a lot of whipping going on when that thing takes a hit.

The angled legs don't take much shrapnel, but my snap hooks didn't make many shots , had to switch them out.

Used quick links for my smaller gongs and they didn't make it either.

How much does it weigh total?

Here are my gong set ups

13445667_10154123832970516_5923042845729193949_n.jpg

13507017_10154123834840516_8493427677452636295_n.jpg

In the first pic, you see how the frame is built on an angle, with the gongs hanging slightly behind the frame. This is to reduce the shrapnel cutting the wood up. These are pretty new frames but I also attach a sacrificial scrap 2x4/plywood, whatever to the frame where the shrapnel hits. You can use anything for this, really. Busted up old pallet, whatever is cheap or free. I didn't have time to do them at first, but these stands now have the scraps on them to eat the shrapnel.

In the second pic, you can see what I've decided on to hang the gongs- 5/8" angle iron and shackles that run about $2.50 each. They last a long time and even when they get hit they will continue to hold up until completely smashed. I used to use black rubber bungee cords, but they only work well with the heavier gongs as you need the weight to hold them in place. They last surprisingly long , actually. Even longer if you sleeve them with some scrap PVC or poly pipe to collect the shrapnel.

Was thinking about making up one of these stands.

Just put one together today. Cost ~$35 for all the parts from Home Depot. I used 1/2" pipe and fittings, but you could always use 3/4" if you wanted to spend more. I've got a 4" and 8" square plate hanging from mine so far, though I want something larger as well (maybe a silhouette or 12" round)

I'll take some photos next time I go to the range.

Just put one together today. Cost ~$35 for all the parts from Home Depot. I used 1/2" pipe and fittings, but you could always use 3/4" if you wanted to spend more. I've got a 4" and 8" square plate hanging from mine so far, though I want something larger as well (maybe a silhouette or 12" round)

I'll take some photos next time I go to the range.

$35 isn't to bad at all. All in price with a gong from canam it's under $100. Was thinking about using 1/8" aircraft cable to hang the plate. Anybody tried it yet?

$35 isn't to bad at all. All in price with a gong from canam it's under $100. Was thinking about using 1/8" aircraft cable to hang the plate. Anybody tried it yet?

I have, but I don't anymore. It can sometimes take more than one hit, but it usually didnt. I am using chain now, but I also have some rubber straps that I will use when the chains fail.

Here's a pic of the sacrificial scrap lumber at work

13495141_1755317614749176_6717314660910128656_n.jpg

The shackles work for me as even when they get shot up a bit they keep the gong hanging until they are completely destroyed

13466175_1755317618082509_4065642473478790907_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom