Page 1 of 22 1234567891121 ... LastLast

Thread: The Year of the magazine, RCMP Info sheet

The Year of the magazine, RCMP Info sheet

The Year of the magazine

It was reported to me that the RCMP considered 2016 “The Year of the Magazine” I can only assume from the following information released on the 27th July by the RCMP Canadian Firearms Program that this is indeed the case.

I question if this new information sheet has any real legal standing, but better minds than mine can debate that. In my opinion the next move by the RCMP will be to prohibit any handgun mag that holds more than 5 rds and will fit in a rifle. Think about this, all 1911 mags will fit the Marlin camp carbine, most Glock mags have a carbine they can be used in, gone will be all 10 rd AR15 mags.

This needs to be the catalyst that bring all our Canadian shooting organisations together to present a united front, we need to get our best legal minds working on this. We need to insure that one individual is not taken to court in an isolated case and set a bad precedent with an unfavourable decision.

This needs to be challenged the most professional manner that we can organised.

Time to contact your “pet” organisation and urge them to work on presenting a united front.

John Hipwell
    Wolverine Supplies

Last edited by Wolverine .303; 07-28-2016 at 09:54 AM.

So that's the "official" notice? From the rcmp as an organization? I never really trusted the "E" division note it didn't seem official, but is this considered them notifying the public officially of their interpretation? I'll be joining the cssa.

Color me uninformed, but what can the average person do about this? Do we throw some money at one of the firearms associations? Write some MPs? Sic some lawyers on the RCMP?

This flip-flopping on magazine regulations is ridiculous. First there's no concern over .22 lr magazine capacity, now all of a sudden the 10/22 is the worst thing ever.

It's probably too much to ask, but I just want some consistency.

Gayyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Where is the CSSA's promised "Announcement of actions"? The original news letter was out on the 22nd of July. We pay annual fees for these organizations to fight these types of attempts to chip away at people's firearms rights. We need to continue with the letters to MPP's and MP's, but we need them to step up hard legally on these ones.

CGN Regular
    Does this mean that high capacity 17 mach2 magazines are legal?
    Pro Patria

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rangebob's Avatar
    [bolding RCMP's]

22 Long Rifle calibre magazines for 10/22 platform firearms

***In light of several inquiries received recently regarding the legal status of 22 Long Rifle calibre magazines for 10/22 platform firearms, please see the following information:***

This further explains the Special Bulletin for Business No. 72 that was issued in September 2013.

The maximum capacity of a cartridge magazine is set out in Part 4 of the Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms and other Weapons, Components and Parts of Weapons, Accessories, Cartridge Magazines, Ammunition and Projectiles as Prohibited, Restricted or Non-Restricted (the Regulations) under the Criminal Code. Pursuant to the Regulations, a magazine that has a capacity which exceeds the maximum permitted capacity is a prohibited device.

Specifically, paragraph 3 (1)(b) of the Regulations prohibit a cartridge magazine that is capable of containing more than 10 cartridges of the type for which the magazine was originally designed and that is designed or manufactured for use in a semi-automatic handgun that is commonly available in Canada.

22 Long Rifle calibre magazines designed or manufactured for 10/22 platform rifles are also inherently designed or manufactured for 10/22 platform handguns. Because 22 Long Rifle calibre 10/22 platform magazines are designed or manufactured for use in a semi-automatic handgun, they are prohibited devices if they are capable of containing more than 10 cartridges. The 10 cartridge limit for the 10/22 platform applies irrespective of the type of firearm it is used in.

Questions and Answers

Table of contents
    - What are the latest changes to the legal status of 22 Long Rifle calibre magazines designed for the 10/22 platform of firearms?
    - What magazines are prescribed as prohibited?
    - Are 10 cartridge 22 Long Rifle calibre 10/22 platform magazines prohibited?
    - Am I criminally in possession of a 22 Long Rifle calibre magazine?
    - If I am in possession of a 10/22 Long Rifle calibre magazine, how do I comply with the law?

What are the latest changes to the legal status of 22 Long Rifle calibre magazines designed for the 10/22 platform of firearms?
    The legal status of 22 Long Rifle calibre magazines designed for the 10/22 platform of firearms has not changed.

The Regulations prohibit a cartridge magazine that is capable of containing more than 10 cartridges of the type for which the magazine was originally designed and that is designed or manufactured for use in a semi-automatic handgun that is commonly available in Canada.

What magazines are prescribed as prohibited?
    Magazines designed for 22 Long Rifle calibre 10/22 platform firearms that have not been altered, or "pinned", so that they can hold more than 10 cartridges are prohibited devices.

Are 10 cartridge 22 Long Rifle calibre 10/22 platform magazines prohibited?
    No. Factory made 22 Long Rifle calibre 10/22 platform magazines that cannot hold more than 10 cartridges are not prohibited.

Am I criminally in possession of a 22 Long Rifle calibre magazine?
    If you are in possession of a 22 Long Rifle calibre magazine for 10/22 platform firearms that is not permanently altered, or "pinned" to meet the maximum capacity of a cartridge magazine, as set out in the Regulations, you may be in possession of a prohibited device.

If I am in possession of a 10/22 Long Rifle calibre magazine, how do I comply with the law?
    A 10/22 platform magazine permanently altered, or "pinned", so that it cannot hold more than 10 cartridges, is no longer considered to be prohibited. Subsections 3(4) and 3(5) of Part 4 of the Regulations as outlined below describe the acceptable methods of altering or re-manufacturing a cartridge magazine so that it cannot hold more than the legal limit.
    3(4) A cartridge magazine described in subsection (1) that has been altered or re-manufactured so that it is not capable of containing more than five or ten cartridges, as the case may be, of the type for which it was originally designed is not a prohibited device as prescribed by that subsection if the modification to the magazine cannot be easily removed and the magazine cannot be easily further altered so that it is so capable of containing more than five or ten cartridges, as the case may be.
    3(5) For the purposes of subsection (4), altering or re-manufacturing a cartridge magazine includes: (a) the indentation of its casing by forging, casting, swaging or impressing;
    (b) in the case of a cartridge magazine with a steel or aluminum casing, the insertion and attachment of a plug, sleeve, rod, pin, flange or similar device, made of steel or aluminum, as the case may be, or of a similar material, to the inner surface of its casing by welding, brazing or any other similar method; or
    (c) in the case of a cartridge magazine with a casing made of a material other than steel or aluminum, the attachment of a plug, sleeve, rod, pin, flange or similar device, made of steel or of a material similar to that of the magazine casing, to the inner surface of its casing by welding, brazing or any other similar method or by applying a permanent adhesive substance, such as a cement or an epoxy or other glue.
    Lawful disposition options are available if you no longer wish to possess an overcapacity magazine. Please contact the Canadian Firearms Program at 1-800-731-4000 for further details.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/n...-07-27-eng.htm

ALRIGHT who snitched ?
    When it all comes down, the last man standing is going to be standing there in shorts and sneakers [armed] with a '98 Mauser, and all the ninja-looking guys belly up at his feet- with all their cool gear

-louis awerbuck
    MEMBER OF CCFR,CSSA & CSAAA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Davie Sprocket's Avatar
    Thank you for posting this John, thank you for continuing the fight. Your absolutely correct this should be a full red alert to the firearms community. Your mention of the isolated court case is exactly why this information needs to be circulated to as many owners as possible.

We need direction and decisive action, not continual reaction. Those questioning why there has been no response from some of the orgs is that they are waiting to see the response from there members. Guys have to remember that a large portion of firearms owners do not believe in rocking the boat or fighting against the powers that be. These same people believe that it is inevitable that we lose our rights and that fighting back will only hasten the loss.

I have circulated the div E posting to most of the gun owners I know, half actually think its fake, so this is what we have to work on. People need to be upset and loud. Its been posted in other threads, in politics the squeaky wheel gets the grease. No matter who your mp, senator is or party they belong to. It is time to send them an email, they have to know that we will not stand for this. The liberals can not hide behind the rcmp or the lab and say they cannot do any thing about this. They only get away with it if people stay quiet.
    Donate to the orgs, CCFR, CSSA, NFA. Join the CPC. Fight the LPC at each turn. We must be united. Sign the petitions, call, email, mail the mp's, senators, mla's. Get the word out to friends, family anyone and everyone.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    In the one post by the RCMP it says the magazines have been imported and sold by unqualified business and individuals. I wonder how the sponsors feel about being called unqualified. Want to know how they can call, Canadian Tire, Bass Pro and Cabella's unqualified businesses. They make it sound like they were sold out of the back of a van in an alley. Pure deceit. http://www.police.midland.on.ca/news...2#.V4-jO_mU0uV)
    Last edited by Komodo; 07-28-2016 at 10:25 AM.

Page 1 of 22 1234567891121 ... LastLast