Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SKS Cosmoline

SKS Cosmoline

Hi Westrifle,

I didn't see anything mentioned on your website - with your SKS's, is the cosmoline already removed, both internally and externally?

Thanks!

the 2 I got from them had to be cleaned .
    Haven't heard of any retailer cleaning the cosmo off. they may wipe the outside off quick , but thats it

just clean it, its not hard.....the greasier the better, boiling water is your friend, that's all i will tell you....look it up :-)

Quote Originally Posted by peacemaker56 View Post
    the 2 I got from them had to be cleaned .
    Haven't heard of any retailer cleaning the cosmo off. they may wipe the outside off quick , but thats it
    I bought my laminate refurb SKS ($250) from Westrifle three months ago and it was nearly totally clean. Just a little bit of grease left in in the action. By the way, the SKS's from Westrifle are of excellent quality. I wholeheartedly recommend them. They are blued (except the mag which is repainted after pinning to 5 rounds) and mine has a new barrel which is chromed inside. A very good shooter. The best 5-shot group I made was 1.5in horizontalx2.5in verical from a bench at 100 yards (the iron sights obviously). A 10 shot group expands to 4x5 or 5x6in. I think that the SKS accuracy problem is at least partially related to the fact that it must be re-loaded after 5 shots. This destroys the original composure. If, hypothetically, I had a 10-round mag the accuracy would be much better without re-loading.

Expired Business Member
    We clean cosmo off the rifle. Sometimes there is small amounts that left on the gun. It is safe to shoot our rifle right away. After you shoot SKS you have to clean it again

Most SKS rifles usually have copious amounts of cosmoline on all the parts of the rifle. Finding a retailer that removes it before sale is a big bonus
    I cleaned the cosmoline on my chicom sks via ballistol mixed with water in a small ultra sonic cleaner, several hours and lots of elbow grease.

Of course, the soviet manual for the SKS recommends that kerosene is to be used to remove cosmoline. Wish I knew that before I removed the cosmoline the first time lol xD

Sometimes my wife puts a little dab of it behind each ear when she is feeling frisky. Can't resist the smell !

Quote Originally Posted by Ionized Odds View Post
    lol

Let's do the math people:

Sale price of average SKS $279
    Profit: 20% = $55.80
    Time to clean cosmoline from SKS: 2 hours
    Hourly rate for qualified employee: $25 (includes wage and benefits)
    Total cost to clean: $50
    Profit after cleaning: $5.80

So no, it would be unreasonable to expect that any firearms retail would be cleaning the cosmoline off a low-value rifle like the SKS. Clean it yourself and learn something new about your rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast