Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: DA 50BMG Range Report

CGN Ultra frequent flyer freezer filler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    If you have to ask to borrow this (as opposed to renting for fair compensation ) you probably can't afford the ammo anyway.

Lol, I have a couple hundred rounds kicking around...welcome to the BMG club, the king of 2km hunting rifles, if u decide to go non restricted.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FirearmsEnthusiast View Post
    Have any of you other DA50 owners attempted to measure the chamber with a .50 modified case and OAL tool? I tried with both 647gr surplus bullets and the amazing (and amazingly expensive) Hornady 750gr AMAX and they didn't touch the lands until the base of the projectile was almost out of the case mouth! Not sure if all other .50s like the HS-50 or the LRT-3 have such long shoulder to ogive measurements...

Any thoughts?
    Just a guess but I would think standard chamber and throat specs eould be generous due to being designed for a machine gun. It would make sense for rifke builders to use tighter tolerances but maybe not due to increasing the pressure when using standard ammo
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Still haven't got it out for a longer range accuracy test, but the rifle has been getting quite a work out! I simply HAD to share this pic of a gal after she shot it. Gun was only a couple of inches shorter than her!

Last edited by Gatehouse; 08-11-2016 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Still haven't got it out for a longer range accuracy test, but the rifle has been getting quite a work out! I simply HAD to share this pic of a gal after she shot it. Gun was only a couple of inches shorter than her!

Thats an amazing pic haha, such a badass rifle

Finally shot a group at 475 yards. Wind was running right to left, but gusting a bit. It's rarely perfectly calm at our range, but it wasn't crazy today, either.

Ammo is the IMI 661 gr that Canada Ammo sells.

First 2 shots were fairly close to each other, ok, good. Then I messed up the third shot

Then the fourth shot went back into the group.

The 3 shots together form a 4.5" group. I'm reasonably sure that if I changed a few things, there wouldn't have been a flyer.

First, the orange dot I painted was too small. As you can see in the pic, it's just a 3-9 Leupold scope. The crosshairs completely obscured the orange dot at that range, so I had to hold on where I thought it was, but no way was it precise. So, bigger aiming point and/or bigger scope would have helped. This is not my first rodeo, and paint is cheap, so I should have known better.

The bipod works pretty good, but I'm waiting for Mystic Precision to have the M-Pods ready again. They look very sturdy and would provide a rock solid platform.

On the plus side, the hammer/trigger spring provided with the upper is pretty darn good. I should actually measure it's poundage on my pull scale, but it's nice and light. It makes shooting much easier.

I am keenly aware that one group (especially one with a flyer) is not definitive of anything. However, the group at 200 and this three shot grop at 475 were both slightly under MOA, so I would say that this rifle will shoot. Slightly bigger scope, beefier bipod and better target would be easy improvements. I assume the ATR non restricted lower could have an even better trigger, so that may improve things, too. And if someone wanted to handload for this rifle, that could make it even better. This ammo seems accurate enough though, so I'm going to stick with it.

It's funny, I never really wanted a 50, but now I couldn't imagine not having one. Especially the DA50, that offers this performance at a fraction of the price of many other 50's. After shooting the group, I cracked the gong a few times and finished off the 10 round box, and giggled that I just spent $60.
    Last edited by Gatehouse; 08-18-2016 at 09:31 PM.

Thanks for the update, I for one appreciate them. I'm looking forward to the NR packages coming in.
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

CGN Ultra frequent flyer stuckon308's Avatar
    Does your bolt have play in it? I haven't shot my da50 yet but it seems like there is an incredible amount of slop when the bolt is closed. I haven't contacted CA yet. I'm just curious if everyone else has the same thing.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer stuckon308's Avatar
    I have a non restricted lower on it.

Are you just running the milspec stock DA trigger is that lower?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast