Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: Long term metal protection experiment follow up

Quote Originally Posted by dirtybarry View Post
    Because the US government says that's how they package guns for long term storage and I don't think there's any coating that would survive years of exposure to water and corrosive substances without it.
    And the operative word is in your second question and that is "most" but obviously this plastic is not 100% impermeable. They probably use something cooler and 100 times more expensive and hard to get.
    thanks for answering that, i was thinking the same thing as sharpish

CGN Ultra frequent flyer tjhaile's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightpossum View Post
    Any old fashion Fluid Film kicking around?
    Lots of information on their website from independent tests:
    http://www.fluid-film.com/testing.html

CGN Ultra frequent flyer dirtybarry's Avatar
    I'd be more than happy to try pretty much anything I can get my hands on. If you're in the Calgary area and have a bit of something (like 1/2 an ounce) that isn't actually poisonous or dangerous you'd like to have used, you could drop it off at Ammosupply.ca when you're picking up your order.

Label it with whatever it is and with your CGN user name and I'll be more than happy to include it. Common commercial products please, if it's some kind of weird Secret Squirrel stuff I'd rather not be exposed to it.

The last batch got buried in October so there's a couple of months yet and there's about 14more strips available.

So far the list has Ballistol, silicone spray, synthetic engine oil, dino gear oil, G96 and Power Punch grease.
    The downside of learning stuff is that it makes me realize how much I don't know.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer dirtybarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Better Red View Post
    be neat to try saran-wrap and grease, that be the most commonly available and easy thing to do (especially for those long rifles.) would you give that a go??
    How about 4 mil pallet stretch wrap and Union 76 RedTac high adhesive grease?
    The downside of learning stuff is that it makes me realize how much I don't know.

Because the US government says that's how they package guns for long term storage and I don't think there's any coating that would survive years of exposure to water and corrosive substances without it.
    And the operative word is in your second question and that is "most" but obviously this plastic is not 100% impermeable. They probably use something cooler and 100 times more expensive and hard to get.
    They might use something simple and effective like mylar

Yup, that's the plan. So far I'm thinking Ballistol, 3in1 silicone spray, synthetic engine oil, gear oil and whatever other stuff I can find in the garage. Will use the same type of strips prepared and sealed in the same manner and buried in the same compost pile for approximately the same amount of time ~ 10 months iirc.
    Thx for this!

I use Ballistol and like it so am interested in your test results. Also use Froglube on one gun. Long story there but seems to work fine for me and like the minty smell. Looking however to switch gun to Ballistol as well to simplify cleaning. So am also interested to see how Froglube compares to Ballistol in your test. Note my gun was heated treated with Froglube as recommended on first application. So to be true to product you'd have to heat steel a bit when applying Froglube.

How about motor oil, atf, axle grease, diesel, dry graphite lubricant
    If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
    Dalai Lama XIV

this has always get me thinking, if any need to store a rifle for safe keepings especially one that has some sort of value of any kind. I lived on a farm most of my life and as a kid, i remember my dad always covering the furrows in grease before put the plow away for the season so next time it was brought out it was ready to go. from what i remember of that, there was no corrosion or pitting, it was shinier then my uncles bald head. anyways, I'm looking forward in the next round of results.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

Interesting. Would like to see how ballistol stalks up. I use remoil or ballistol but starting to feel sketch about using Remoil now. Lol

X2 ... if able please try this!

Quote Originally Posted by Better Red View Post
    be neat to try saran-wrap and grease, that be the most commonly available and easy thing to do (especially for those long rifles.) would you give that a go??
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!