Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Long term metal protection experiment follow up

CGN Ultra frequent flyer merlin1's Avatar
    rig grease is what i have seen to be the best in my travels--available from brownells 20 yr proven--imho

CGN Ultra frequent flyer dirtybarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggseven View Post
    Any suggestions on these products on a blued gun? Truthfully none of us with be long term storing a piece of bare metal.
    I have the broken barrel from my pos s&w 29-10 that I could sacrifice.
    The downside of learning stuff is that it makes me realize how much I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by IPPA162 View Post
    Hi
    If you're still open to trial products, and since I went away from WD40 years ago to Jig-A-Loo, any chance of trying Jig-A-Loo? Crown rust proofing also sells their product by the can, but it is somewhat messy.

Very interesting trial, thank you for doing it. I'll get my brother in the machinery fabrication and steel business to read it and see what they use.
    Arrange to get me a 1/2 oz or so and yes, I will include it.
    The downside of learning stuff is that it makes me realize how much I don't know.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Can you try one without any coating, but include 1 or more desiccants packet? It would be interesting to see if humidity comes from the outside after you've sealed the piece or if it's been trapped in it during the sealing process.

An alternative is an oxygen absorber packet. Works the same way as a desiccant, but it absorbs oxygen instead of humidity. Since rust is a reaction between oxygen and iron, taking away all or most oxygen might keep the whole thing from rusting without any coating. Your kleen-flo coating probably blocks oxygen while the other oil-based coating probably block only humidity from touching the iron (except wd40, that thing blocks nothing at all).

If you have some iron pieces left, maybe try using both in one package.

Both are available on amazon.ca.

desiccant: https://www.amazon.ca/Dry-Packs-Sili.../dp/B003DKQB02
    oxy-sor https://www.amazon.ca/Oxy-Sorb-Oxyge.../dp/B0028AG8RO

Both are 100% safe, used in the food industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsytrain View Post
    I'd like to see a sample comparison done with any brand of motor oil in a 5W-30. If possible.
    Already on the list. I'll be using Royal Purple 5W-30 full synthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyQC View Post
    Can you try one without any coating, but include 1 or more desiccants packet? It would be interesting to see if humidity comes from the outside after you've sealed the piece or if it's been trapped in it during the sealing process.

An alternative is an oxygen absorber packet. Works the same way as a desiccant, but it absorbs oxygen instead of humidity. Since rust is a reaction between oxygen and iron, taking away all or most oxygen might keep the whole thing from rusting without any coating. Your kleen-flo coating probably blocks oxygen while the other oil-based coating probably block only humidity from touching the iron (except wd40, that thing blocks nothing at all).
    If you have some iron pieces left, maybe try using both in one package.

Both are available on amazon.ca.

desiccant: https://www.amazon.ca/Dry-Packs-Sili.../dp/B003DKQB02
    oxy-sor https://www.amazon.ca/Oxy-Sorb-Oxyge.../dp/B0028AG8RO

Both are 100% safe, used in the food industry.

Have heard of all of them but in the interests of consistency, I'm not going use Mylar, oxygen absorbers or desiccants for this trial.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggseven View Post
    Any suggestions on these products on a blued gun? Truthfully none of us with be long term storing a piece of bare metal.
    Is the inside of your barrel blued?

I bet Fluid film would win most tests, something I didn't realize:
    "Today, FLUID FILM has probed the depths of the sea and space, being effectively utilized by nuclear submarines to its exclusive use on the space shuttle."
    #Originally Posted by#rustyn*t1#

Are you talking about checkers? Snakes and ladders? Trudeau is not smart enough to play chess.

---
    Last edited by saltednutz; 02-04-2017 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtybarry View Post
    Arrange to get me a 1/2 oz or so and yes, I will include it.
    I have a spray can of Jig-A-Loo that I can lend you as a contribution to your efforts. I will drop it at Kate for you and pick it up later after your are done. THX
    Truth is called hate by those who you hate the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by saltednutz View Post
    Will you be trying anything like grease?

I see you did the vaseline, but if you're going for long term storage, will you try a heavy axle grease?

I have used AMSoil salt resistant blue heavy axle grease, but have never buried it to check efficiency or efficacy.
    2 kinds of grease so far, Power Punch and Unocal RedTac, both are NLGI rated for wheel bearings and extremely sticky high adhesive greases.