Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Long term metal protection experiment follow up

CGN Regular
    Any suggestions on these products on a blued gun? Truthfully none of us with be long term storing a piece of bare metal.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtybarry View Post
    Since I have some, I will, thanks for the idea.
    Thank you.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer dirtybarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mewse View Post
    They might use something simple and effective like mylar
    No that's for sane people without unlimited money, I'd bet the stuff they use looks the same but costs waaaaaaay more.
    The downside of learning stuff is that it makes me realize how much I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by James1873 View Post
    How about motor oil, atf, axle grease, diesel, dry graphite lubricant
    Synthetic engine oil and 2 kinds of grease are already on the list and I think I have some dry graphite so why not, thanks.
    The downside of learning stuff is that it makes me realize how much I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Northaways View Post
    Thx for this!

I use Ballistol and like it so am interested in your test results. Also use Froglube on one gun. Long story there but seems to work fine for me and like the minty smell. Looking however to switch gun to Ballistol as well to simplify cleaning. So am also interested to see how Froglube compares to Ballistol in your test. Note my gun was heated treated with Froglube as recommended on first application. So to be true to product you'd have to heat steel a bit when applying Froglube.
    I have a decent heat gun so if somebody can get some Froglube to me, sure why not.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBob View Post
    X2 ... if able please try this!
    On the list using 4mil stretch film and Unocal (formerly Union76, it was late) RedTac grease because a) I have some and b) the stuff is a super sticky high adhesive NLGI (wheel bearing rated) with awesome characteristics that is also very common and easy to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Riggseven View Post
    Any suggestions on these products on a blued gun? Truthfully none of us with be long term storing a piece of bare metal.
    If something works on bare metal them it should work even better on metal that has a protective coating like bluing. I wish I had known how bad WD40 was before storing $2K worth of fresh machined engine parts that are now scrap metal.

BANNED
    Hiding in BC. Send lawyers, guns and money
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpish View Post
    Why would you seal them in a bag? Wouldn't that In itself seal out most environmental moisture?
    So you know what to do when Mike from a Canmore isn't answering the phone.

BANNED
    Hiding in BC. Send lawyers, guns and money
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtybarry View Post
    If something works on bare metal them it should work even better on metal that has a protective coating like bluing. I wish I had known how bad WD40 was before storing $2K worth of fresh machined engine parts that are now scrap metal.
    Electrolysis can be your friend, if that fails theyre still probably up to fords standards lol.

I have guns in my safe that are seldom used. I'm looking for a spray on product that will offer corrosion protection but won't be greasy and require clearing if I want to use or handle a gun. Any recommendations?