Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: EOTech!!

I tried putting it in instant rice just in case it took the moisture out, but it didn't work haha. I love it on my vz58, If the Aimpoint had that big 65moa ring around the dot I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I like the rotary switch much better too, not to mention my xps2 goes through the battery even when its not turned on :P . It's like a beautiful girlfriend who's nothing but headaches.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by GundamZero View Post
    I sent three eotechs back for about $600USD each. No way I am going to drop any more cash on them. Aimpoint and Trijicon are wicked alternatives.
    yes they are
    both suffer from thermal drift.

If you read the news release, all but the thermal shifts are fixed. The parallax problem is not really a problem, it is more of a advertising wording issue and they are paying dearly for it.

Even Trijicon MRO has thermal shift, the factory tested it and posted in its news release. The number published is about 2MOA. Someone played with an aim point and saw thermal shift as well, but he took down the video. Eotech may have more and have it more frequently, but it looks like every sight does a bit, some more some less.

If you read the eotech news release, the average shift is about 2MOA as well between -40 deg and 62 deg C . The 4MOA shift only happens at -40 deg and 62 deg C - unless you zero your sight in an AC room, and then sunbath your weapon in a desert or lock your weapons up in a trunk, put the car under directly sunlight when the outside temperature goes well over 35 deg C.

Look at this from another angle, every 5 degree C change in temperature causes 1 MOA of of change in POI If you zero your weapon in summer at 30 deg and take it out to shoot in winter at -10, you can see as much as 8 MOA change in POI. That 2 MOA easily gets buried into the change caused by temp and other environmental changes, when you zero the weapon at least once quarter. And I suspect most of the military types do not see a problem because they all zero their weapons in theatre - they don't zero the sight in an AC room back home and then jump into a 40 deg desert - unless you are some super secret commando type.

In the grand scheme of things, whatever thermal shifts in these reflex sights are probably not very noticeable on average, once it gets mixed up with the change in bullet POI caused by temperature change. People zero their sights all the time. So it took 16 years to finally figure this out, and most people probably won't even notice unless someone says something.

I am not saying this is a none issue, but it sounds like people have been living with it for 16 years and did not even see a problem until someone says there is problem.
    Last edited by greentips; 08-28-2016 at 03:10 PM.

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Rebel Rouser's Avatar
    There's too many "operators" on this board... You aren't going to notice a difference at the range.

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal"
    Colt Firearms advertising slogan.
    Diemaco #1 Fanboy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer okcorral1881's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaos013 View Post
    It would be nice if you could post the 'savings' instead of essentially asking people to run around and search them out....either get your dealers to post them or you should.consumers have a short attention span sometimes and there are many optics out there, if someone posts a good deal it will be grabbed before they sit down and try to research what you are offering. Just my two cents.
    Well....the sale is over now, and I couldn't find anywhere that knew about it. I guess I saved the $$ for something else!
    CSSA.......CCFR.......NRA........NFA..........EOSC

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Phat Eagle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt.Flan View Post
    Kept mine. Never had any issues. At work or my own ones.

Really...
    Ditto...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dorian Gray's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Rouser View Post
    There's too many "operators" on this board... You aren't going to notice a difference at the range.
    While this is undoubtedly true, I had an EOTech 552 on my Tavor and experienced significant POI shift from zeroing it in the summer to actual field use in the fall. It was off by 6-8 inches from where it was zeroed previously. If I was just using it at the range or sand pit, I may not have returned it. But I was using it, and my Tavor, as my deer hunting rifle. For me, the potential shift in POI may have resulted in unethical shot placement and wounded game animals. And that's not something I can live with if I don't have to. So back to the manufacturer it went and a conventional scope replaced it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345