Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stars rescue

Stars rescue

Hello,

I am writing you today to give an update on my fundraising efforts and ask for your support. On September 15th, 2016 I will need rescuing from a remote location,
    somewhere on the vast Saskatchewan prairie. I need friends, family, and STARS supporters to rally around my cause and get me home safely.

STARS(Shock Trama Air Rescue Service) air ambulance, Saskatchewan’s non-profit helicopter ambulance organization, is holding a fundraiser called Rescue on the Prairie.
    As you may know, STARS provides rapid airborne intensive care for critically ill and injured patients. Organization-wide, they currently average seven missions per day.
    Since starting operations in Saskatchewan four years ago, STARS’ Regina and Saskatoon bases have flown more than 3000 missions to over 400 communities across the province.
    On a side note STARS has no borders so if there is a need in Manitoba or Alberta the Saskatchewan STARS crew will respond. In Saskatchewan, STARS raises 50 per cent of its annual budget – about $10.5 million – to operate the Regina and Saskatoon bases.
    To keep their helicopters flying, they have resorted to drastic measures:
    STARS Rescue on the Prairie is one of these drastic measures- Myself, and a small group of community leaders from around Saskatchewan will swap out our work clothes for flight suits and will being flown by a STARS helicopter to a remote location, with only the thrill of adventure, a sense of humour and our cell phones to help us rescued when we each raise at least $50,000.00 or more for STARS. Only after I have accomplished this and complete various challenges will I be returned to civilization. What are the challenges you ask? I can only tell you what the challenges were last year to give you an idea. Readiness challenge which is when you have to put on all your flight gear and grab your equipment and strap into your seat on the helicopter. Navigation challenge, they give location and you have to get there. Patient care which is performing extensive first aid and preparing patient for air transport. Of course fundraising challenge, who can raise the most money in the shortest amount of time. Only the quickest time wins additional funds for the challenge, there will be $15,000.00 up for grabs.

My current role is EHS safety, health and environment advisor at AECOM in the company’s Lampman office, and have long been involved with many community groups, events and fundraisers and was challenged by former Rescue participant Ron Carson to get on-board for this year’s event. Just days prior to being asked, a fellow AECOM employee was transported by STARS. “I thought ‘What a huge honor and opportunity to raise funds and awareness for STARS’,”. “STARS is a valuable asset that is available to all citizens who need the service, especially in rural areas.” Through my fundraising journey I have met some STARS VIPs(Very Important Patients) who have shared their stories with me and said if it wasn’t for STARS they wouldn’t be here today. Furthermore, we simply cannot allow anyone else to beat me at this challenge. I have set a goal of raising the $50,000.00 before September 15th, so I can focus on the challenges and hopefully win more funds for STARS. With less than a month to go I am at 42.5% ($21,289.000) committed to the Stars cause. We have done numerous events bbq, bake sale, 50/50 draws, to name a few. We have several fundraisers planned in the next few weeks so if you are in the area be sure to stop and support the cause.

You can pledge me on line in advance by visiting my personal page at:
    support.stars.ca/goto/bird

If you cannot pledge before the event, on September 15, 2016, you may receive a desperate phone call from me that day, begging you to help with my rescue off the prairie!

I would like to close by saying whatever support anyone can give me in reaching this goal would be greatly appreciated.

Tina Bird
    Rescuee 2016 STARS Rescue on the Prairie
    Phone (306)421-7117
    countrycookiegal@gmail.com

This is a service we all hope we will never need but things do go wrong and this service does save lives. This is a great cause to support and I have know Tina for many years and I can vouch that Tina has put a huge effort into this fund raiser.

CGN Regular
    This is what I should be hearing from the Media, not how many zombies are looking for pokyman.
    Anybody have a few email address for the Media stations that we could ask "IF or why they are not on top of this".
    Yes I know I need to get a spell csech
    I love this land, but my country has fallen.

STOPnTIME photos

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Very good bunch of guys in Stars, they flew my sorry butt to Saskatoon. I buy the stars lottery tickets when they are on sale.

CGN frequent flyer Bad Lieutenant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    Hello,

I am writing you today to give an update on my fundraising efforts and ask for your support. On September 15th, 2016 I will need rescuing from a remote location,
    somewhere on the vast Saskatchewan prairie. I need friends, family, and STARS supporters to rally around my cause and get me home safely.

STARS(Shock Trama Air Rescue Service) air ambulance, Saskatchewan’s non-profit helicopter ambulance organization, is holding a fundraiser called Rescue on the Prairie.
    As you may know, STARS provides rapid airborne intensive care for critically ill and injured patients. Organization-wide, they currently average seven missions per day.
    Since starting operations in Saskatchewan four years ago, STARS’ Regina and Saskatoon bases have flown more than 3000 missions to over 400 communities across the province.
    On a side note STARS has no borders so if there is a need in Manitoba or Alberta the Saskatchewan STARS crew will respond. In Saskatchewan, STARS raises 50 per cent of its annual budget – about $10.5 million – to operate the Regina and Saskatoon bases.
    To keep their helicopters flying, they have resorted to drastic measures:
    STARS Rescue on the Prairie is one of these drastic measures- Myself, and a small group of community leaders from around Saskatchewan will swap out our work clothes for flight suits and will being flown by a STARS helicopter to a remote location, with only the thrill of adventure, a sense of humour and our cell phones to help us rescued when we each raise at least $50,000.00 or more for STARS. Only after I have accomplished this and complete various challenges will I be returned to civilization. What are the challenges you ask? I can only tell you what the challenges were last year to give you an idea. Readiness challenge which is when you have to put on all your flight gear and grab your equipment and strap into your seat on the helicopter. Navigation challenge, they give location and you have to get there. Patient care which is performing extensive first aid and preparing patient for air transport. Of course fundraising challenge, who can raise the most money in the shortest amount of time. Only the quickest time wins additional funds for the challenge, there will be $15,000.00 up for grabs.

My current role is EHS safety, health and environment advisor at AECOM in the company’s Lampman office, and have long been involved with many community groups, events and fundraisers and was challenged by former Rescue participant Ron Carson to get on-board for this year’s event. Just days prior to being asked, a fellow AECOM employee was transported by STARS. “I thought ‘What a huge honor and opportunity to raise funds and awareness for STARS’,”. “STARS is a valuable asset that is available to all citizens who need the service, especially in rural areas.” Through my fundraising journey I have met some STARS VIPs(Very Important Patients) who have shared their stories with me and said if it wasn’t for STARS they wouldn’t be here today. Furthermore, we simply cannot allow anyone else to beat me at this challenge. I have set a goal of raising the $50,000.00 before September 15th, so I can focus on the challenges and hopefully win more funds for STARS. With less than a month to go I am at 42.5% ($21,289.000) committed to the Stars cause. We have done numerous events bbq, bake sale, 50/50 draws, to name a few. We have several fundraisers planned in the next few weeks so if you are in the area be sure to stop and support the cause.

You can pledge me on line in advance by visiting my personal page at:
    support.stars.ca/goto/bird

If you cannot pledge before the event, on September 15, 2016, you may receive a desperate phone call from me that day, begging you to help with my rescue off the prairie!

I would like to close by saying whatever support anyone can give me in reaching this goal would be greatly appreciated.

Tina Bird
    Rescuee 2016 STARS Rescue on the Prairie
    Phone (306)421-7117
    countrycookiegal@gmail.com

This is a service we all hope we will never need but things do go wrong and this service does save lives. This is a great cause to support and I have know Tina for many years and I can vouch that Tina has put a huge effort into this fund raiser.

First off... good for you for supporting a good cause. But with that said, I have to wonder; why the hell do these guys have to fund raise?? The province should be paying for this. If they can't, or won't, (for whatever reason), they should be pushing the feds to cough up the needed dough and/or downloading some of the costs onto the municipalities. I just can't fathom this...
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." - Dante Alighieri
    "This whole war could have been avoided. Cunnilingus and psychiatry brought us to this." - Tony Soprano

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't STARS exist in Alberta before they came here to Skatchie? Either way I think it's a fantastic organization and good for you for helping them raise money.
    I buy a lot of shotguns

$50 000??? We will miss you ; -)

Best of luck and good on you!
    Planning on living forever. So far, so good!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Lieutenant View Post

First off... good for you for supporting a good cause. But with that said, I have to wonder; why the hell do these guys have to fund raise?? The province should be paying for this. If they can't, or won't, (for whatever reason), they should be pushing the feds to cough up the needed dough and/or downloading some of the costs onto the municipalities. I just can't fathom this...
    Stars is a non-profit charity. They aren't a Government Agency. In Alberta and Manitoba, if you get a ride in Stars, the ride is free. The cost to get to them is another story as you are likely pretty messed up. In Saskatchewan, the fee for Air Ambulance is $350 per flight.

From their website...

"How are we funded?"

STARS is a charitable, non-profit organization, and the STARS Foundation is the fundraising arm of the organization. Funding is met through donations received from individuals, service groups, business and corporations, municipalities, and through collaborative agreements with provincial governments.

The incredible ongoing support of the community helps us continually enhance our innovative and leading-edge air medical programs and service.

Alberta Funding Details

In an agreement reached in 2010, Alberta Health Services has agreed to support STARS and provide funding through to the year 2020. Approximately 24 per cent of STARS' total mission costs are funded by Alberta Health Services and the remaining 76 per cent comes from fundraising and community partnerships.

STARS total operating expenses per base is approximately $10 million a year.

On April 1, 2010, Alberta Health Services assumed responsibility for ensuring air ambulance services are available across the province. In addition to STARS, which provides dedicated rotary air ambulance through the affiliation agreement, fixed wing air ambulance services will continue to be conducted by 12 providers contracted by Alberta Health Services.

As part of this partnership, STARS also facilitates a critical care transport medicine education program for all air medical personnel (fixed wing and rotary) in the province. This provides consistent training and equitable education opportunities. STARS also coordinates the movement of critically ill patients from rural hospitals to larger centres.

Saskatchewan Funding Details

The provincial government of Saskatchewan is investing $5 million in 2011-12 with approximately $10 million annually moving forward. The remainder of the funds will come from STARS fundraising efforts, including contributions from the community and corporate sector.

STARS is a community based, charitable, non-profit organization. Your support is vital to our mission. Funds raised in Saskatchewan support the local STARS program.

Manitoba Funding Details

The province of Manitoba and STARS signed a 10-year agreement on February 22, 2012. STARS is compensated $10 million dollars per year to operate a helicopter EMS program out of our Winnipeg base. Part of our plan in the province is to develop a fundraising program to reduce the amount of provincial funding required. For more information on how you can support STARS, please visit our Ways To Donate page. You can also volunteer with us or share your story as a former patient.

STARS was initially requested to provide service in Manitoba for a limited period during emergency flooding in 2009, and then again in April 2011. After responding in 2011, STARS was asked to remain in the province as the government explored the idea of having a permanent helicopter air ambulance program.

In 2012 and 2013, STARS operated our Manitoba program under budget and in July 2013, a $2.4 million surplus was credited to Manitoba Health. At the end of our fiscal year in March 2014, any remaining surplus will again be estimated and credited to Manitoba Health.

Are patients billed for transport by STARS?

In Alberta, patients do not receive any request for repayment of the costs of their transport by STARS.

In Saskatchewan, STARS is not involved in billing patients directly. The Saskatchewan Government’s current billing practice for fixed-wing air ambulance services also applies to helicopter ambulance. Patients are charged a $350 fee per flight.

In Manitoba, patients do not receive any request for repayment of the costs of their transport by STARS.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0mega Alpha View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't STARS exist in Alberta before they came here to Skatchie? Either way I think it's a fantastic organization and good for you for helping them raise money.
    Stars began in Alberta.

What they typically fly...
    Airbus Helicopters BK117, 8 in the fleet. First entered use with STARS in 1985. Top speed = 225 km/h.

And the newest bird(s)...
    Agusta-Westland AW139, 3 in the fleet. First entered use with STARS in 2012. Top speed = 278 km/h.

CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

CGN Regular
    Stars while they provide a great service is not free to the Tax Payer. They get dispatch numbers to all calls similar to any Air ambulance system for which they bill the government for. RFP contracts have gone out for all their bases to have private companies to provide service except for Calgary and Edmonton because they are considered "Legacy". Phoenix in Fort Mcmurray with Fort Mac Fire and HALO in Medicine Hat provide a similar service.

Just an FYI

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Beater's Avatar
    i have had my life saved by STARS definatly a worth while cause
    payment within 24 hours , if not i retain the right to cancel the deal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast