Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intro thread

Expried Business Member

Intro thread

Hello!

Thanks for being snoopy enough to check this post out!

Here's a little history on myself.

I've always been in a hunting/fishing/camping family. I first started tagging along with my Father and older brother on hunts going back to the first grade. I remember learning how to handload for rifles as early as 3rd grade. I took my first big game animal at age 11, with a .243 I own to this day, with ammo I had handloaded under my Fathers watchful eye. I hope to instil these same values in my Children and in my Children's Children.

Why M-14's?

As you can probably tell, I have always been into firearms. When I turned 16 I applied for and received a FAC (yes the old system pre-Bill C-68). I am 13 days too young to have a 12-6, as I was not able to purchase a pistol until I was 18yrs old. When the "failed LGR" came into effect I registered 11 firearms.

In 2009 I bought my first M-14 pattern rifle, a 2007 M-305. From the first I was hooked! I gobbled up every thing I could find online, as well as gathering an extensive library of written works by Jerry Kuhnhausen, Scott Duff et-al. I slowly amassed quite a selection of tools that are M-14 specific. Late last year I realized that I was completely comfortable will all things M-14/M1A and Garand. I also noticed that there did not seem to be anyone "filling the void" in Canada in regards to M-14 rifles. There are several smiths and shops out there willing to do this or that, but no one stop shop that could do-all with a M-14/M1A here in Canada. I am not sure I fill the roll as a "one stop shop" but what I can't do, I hire out to professionals much better at the small jobs than I am!

I didn't feel comfortable just "hanging a shingle" as a M-14 "pro". It's one thing for me to work on my own rifle, quite another to work on a rifle for a stranger who may have a family of their own! I didn't feel that it was right to put myself out there as a "pro" unless I had something to back me up. I took an American Gunsmithing Institute on-line course called "M-14 & M1A Armourer". I have registered my Company with the corporations branch of Saskatchewan, Informed Revenue Canada of my Sole-Proprietorship business, purchased an insurance policy (through my local broker) and finally registered myself with the CFP.

At first I was trying to keep things low-key. I have a day-job, I do this part-time evenings and weekends. I am not trying to get rich doing this, just trying to off-set the rising cost of my "addiction"! I started out at my local gun-shows. 2-3 tables, hawking rifles I'd tuned, misc. parts and generally just trying to get the word out about myself. It actually kinda worked! I've been getting a steady diet of work since the winter of '16. I finally decided to "pay-up" and become a site sponsor. I've done enough work "off this board" that I felt it was only fair to pony-up..... The fact I got a bit of a jab in the ribs from the mod's, notwithstanding, it was going to happen anyway, just happened a bit sooner than I planned!

I located in Regina SK

See the website for more info.
    Feel free to call/text or email any questions or comments etc!

Post a thread with questions or comments, I endeavour to answer any and all correspondence!

John

Welcome to CGN.

Welcome aboard! There's always a need for more talented gun smith types. Just curious, how did you decide to go with AGI?
    I'm interested in doing something similar.
    C.S.S.A. + C.C. F.R.

CGN Regular
    PC Load letter on your web site.

Expried Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kolumbo69 View Post
    PC Load letter on your web site.
    I don't understand...... Does that mean my web link doesn't work?

John

No, I think just polite jab at the style of your website. Ready to print ...

Expried Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mossler View Post
    No, I think just polite jab at the style of your website. Ready to print ...
    Web hosting cost is $1.75/month, but I had to build the webpage..... I'm not bad a fixing rifles, wed design..... not so much.

Expried Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimDO View Post
    Welcome aboard! There's always a need for more talented gun smith types. Just curious, how did you decide to go with AGI?
    I'm interested in doing something similar.
    Sorry, for the delay in responding. I read this yesterday, and just didn't have time to respond right away, it didn't seem "time sensitive"....

AGI (American Gunsmithing Institute) is the only currently offered M-14/M1A Armourer course that doesn't require going to the US for a couple of days (or more) and sitting in a classroom to get certification. I could only find 3 courses. One was part of the curriculum at the Colorado School of Gunsmithing, which would have taken 2yrs of my life and an extensive period of time away from home (not something I am willing to do at this point in my life); The other offered course I found was a "Team One" (by Springfield Armouries Inc.) Armourers course, that was a weekend course (quite do-able IMHO) but was M1A specific, and focused on their entire product line (pistols etc.). So it didn't seem to me that it was worth-while based on what I wanted to do....

The AGI course is quite reasonably priced, didn't take very long and for me was almost useless...... I knew WAY more from my own "self training" (some by trial and error) reading manuals and materials, etc. The best part about the AGI course is the cheesy certificate I get to hang on the wall of the shop! The AGI course doesn't go into anything terribly difficult. It covers mostly basic operating principals, what the different parts are called, how the operate and fit together. The main types and kinds of rifles, most of the "big" builders (SAI, SA & misc). How to disassemble, re-assemble, how & what to lube and where, How to figure-out common problems. Basically you'll get the same or better information from one of Barney's clinics!

If you have anymore questions feel free to respond, PM, email etc.

John

Awesome! Once I save up some Ill be sending you my m14 for sure!
    Your stuff always looks and shoots awesome from what I remember in your posts.

Expried Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornychief View Post
    Awesome! Once I save up some Ill be sending you my m14 for sure!
    Your stuff always looks and shoots awesome from what I remember in your posts.
    Thanks for the kind words.

To be honest I do what I can, and I'll never do unneccissary work, and I'll never send out a rifle that I don't feel is safe or wouldn't own myself! I have great pride in what I do, and feel privileged that guys want me to work on their rifles!

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast