Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning cosmoline off the rifle westrifle.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darren saltiel View Post
    Throw all your parts in an oven done and done , as for the stock a damp cloth and a electric clothes iron and your laughing, follow up with some linseed oil and it's quite the rifle
    Does your food taste like cosmoline now? I've heard of people making an inexpensive oven from some high-wattage bulbs and a barrel.
    CSSA/CCFR MemberAn unjust law, is no law at all.Martin Luther (1483-1546)
    There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. Elie Wiesel

Quote Originally Posted by BabySeal View Post
    Disassemble rifle.

Put in trunk.

Drive to car wash (bay style with pressure washer)

Hold parts down with foot

Pressure wash.

(Wear boots)

Bring rifle home and oil it.
    Love it!

I strip mine and hose them off in a parts washer with solvent. WD-40 for the touchups.

I have used Lordco " Purple Stuff " degreaser. It is made in Canada, can be diluted with water as needed. Worked for me very well, after getting frustrated with oven and oven spray, industrial degreaser.......

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Pblatzz's Avatar
    In the old days of the CF we used diesel and clean rags and 2x4 patches to clean C1's in cosmo..... Oven... make me laugh.

Hot water and a little bit of dishsoap. Then wipe everything down with mineral spirits and lightly re oil

Both my rifle and oven are fine . I'd do however blurt out words in Russian from time to time ! (It's called self clean after)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer philhut's Avatar
    I took all of my rifles apart completely, well didn't break apart the trigger guards etc beyond removing them from the rifle and opening them etc... So far I have done this with all of my rifles except a rare SVT

Next I cleaned the stock first with a spray of degreaser if nessesary, then Water hose to remove excess oil. (Note some of the stocks are not or barely greasy at all, these can be left as is just wipe them down)

Next If you want to remove the varnish use that orange/natural stuff avail at home hardware (did this with one SKS and one SVT) I used just a firm sponge as I did not want to sand the stock and disturb it much

Hang to dry

Apply many many layers of true oil after these processes, sanding with steel wool in between working eventually to a firm rag or towel polish.
    Results on SKS, SVT and Mauser

Metal Parts
    2 Options Option 2 worked better overall unless the parts were Coated in Cosmoline
    I recommending cleaning the Barrel/Rifle assembly then the rest of the small parts seperately, even breaking up the small parts into batches may work for you depending on your speed.

Option 1
    Soak Parts in Mineral Spirits,
    lightly brush to remove residue,
    Rinse with hose (WATER)
    Dry with Air Compressor
    Once Dry Quickly Apply Ample/Lots of Spray on Gun oil (I placed parts in cardboard boxes sprayed them and stored them like this until re-assembly.

Option 2 (best if light cosmoline/grease, mineral spirits excessive for this application)
    Use degreaser (commercial from hardware store of crud cutter) then bore spray for the bore (scrub all parts with plastic brush, allow to sit and brush again)
    Hose with Water to rinse
    Dry with Air compressor
    Once Dry Quickly Apply Ample/Lots of Spray on Gun oil (I placed parts in cardboard boxes sprayed them and stored them like this until re-assembly

*Barrels, if esspecially dirty place barrel in PVC pipe with a cap on the end (i used 3") fill with mineral spirits and dunk
    Prior to assembly clean the barrel by placing it in your gun rest and passing a couple of patches/bore brush through it to remove bad debris/build up. Then rinse again as above/dry/oil

*** if any of your metal parts have been sprayed with black spray paint it may flake off in this process, mineral spirits with strip it entirely get some more black spray prior to assembly if desired.

Then Assemble the rifle. If nessesary perform then basic barrel maintenace oil and put her away. She is now beautiful, at least that is what you tell her because she has a hell of a whallop!

I also found the rack pictured below, purchased at walmart as one of those 5 shelf plastic racks is great for gun stuff, seperated into a 2 shelf unit was great for cleaning and the other piece for storage. then combine as needed.

Step 1) Disassemble the rifle completely.
    Step 2) Make up a bath of mineral spirits (you can get from home depot) in a small shoe boxed size plastic tub.
    Step 3) Put all parts except barrel and stock in bath.
    Step 4) Boil a pot a water while parts a soaking in mineral spirits bath.
    Step 5) After 15 min or so in the mineral spirits bath transfer parts in to hot water bath.
    Step 6) While parts soak in bath take break cleaner and soak down barrel inside and out.
    Step 7) Take parts out of hot water bath after 15 min and blow off with compressed air.
    Step 8) Use some hot water and douse the barrel flushing off break fluid.
    Step 9) After all parts are completely dry soak with gun oil.
    Step 10) Wipe off excessive gun oil and re-assemble.

While waiting in between steps you can lay out the stock in the sun on a towel you don't care about and wipe off the cosmo while flipping it over every so often. If it's not a hot day the oven can be used.

Hope this helps,
    Cheers.
    Eat, sleep, , reload.

Oh my process takes approximately 36 hours to complete where the majority of the work is spent drying then layering true oil on the stock. I am no expert in anything guns but was happy with my results. I think I stopped around 9 to 10 coats of true oil on the above rifles, maybe 7 on the mauser.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12