Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Has anybody tried out their flash bang yet?

Quite possibly permanent hearing damage, don't do it

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Quite possibly permanent hearing damage, don't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Lieutenant View Post
    Very stupid. Beyond stupid, actually.

Please don't.

If not for the sake of your health, then for the sake of our continued access to these items...
    looks like I have my answer! wont be doing this

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnC6 View Post
    I can definitely test out a shotgun like just ahead of the barrel. Sound is only pressure so a shotgun shell can only make so much, just depends how it's directed for perceived loudness.
    My Benelli Super Nova entry with 3 1/2" magnum shells is wicked pisser loud. A friend shot off a bear banger and then I shot the gun and jaws dropped at how much louder the shotty was. They still talk about it to this day.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer skypilot's Avatar
    Flash bangs have been lethal. I remember a case where a SWAT member was killed in the States. IIRC it was a dispatch and then a stand down right at the moment prior to entry. Seems he attempted to reinstall pin and was killed when it detonated.

Not a toy and definitely never attempt to reinstall pin. Once pin is pulled it should be allowed to bang.

We are prohibited from deploying them under certain physical conditions because of their lethality.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the groups I cannot shoot, the ability to dope the wind, and the wisdom to hide the bad targets

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Lieutenant View Post
    Very stupid. Beyond stupid, actually.

Please don't.

If not for the sake of your health, then for the sake of our continued access to these items...
    What if he wore his eye and ear pro? Lol
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
    Flash bangs have been lethal. I remember a case where a SWAT member was killed in the States. IIRC it was a dispatch and then a stand down right at the moment prior to entry. Seems he attempted to reinstall pin and was killed when it detonated.

Not a toy and definitely never attempt to reinstall pin. Once pin is pulled it should be allowed to bang.

We are prohibited from deploying them under certain physical conditions because of their lethality.
    These things they bought are not toys, and will be dangerous in the wrong hands, but are not meant for entry use. Not in the same class.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Ok who is going to win the Darwin award with one of these

got a chance to try it out, I bought a few for bear deterrence. Lets say that it was not quite as bad as I thought it would be....

I used it in daylight , but the flash was bright enough to lose sight of the FB for a quick second. Im not sure it would start a fire as the flash was the same size as the FB body, but I would be careful in dry conditions.

Secondly the fuse was surprisingly FAST, a lot quicker detonation than I expected.... So DEFINITLY make sure you have the spoon in the webbing between your thumb and first finger, and when you toss it open your hand all the way. There is VERY little room for mistakes with that fast fuse, so you don't want it hanging up on your hand/fingers when you throw it.
    Also the pin takes a good tug to get it out......
    When I tossed it underhand it went off in mid-air about 15 yards in front of me....AS I SAID THE FUSE WAS SURPRISINGLY FAST..

Thirdly, the bang was just a bit louder than a shotgun blast, and there was some good concussion...

All in all I think they are very well made, and would make an EXCELLENT bear deterrant with a bear at about 20 yards or so...I will always take mine fly fishing/hiking/bowhunting as I think that they are perfect as a bear deterrant....I am very pleased with them for this purpose..

The battery (of course) died on my cell phone as I planned on filming it.

hope this helps

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ShawnC6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slim123 View Post
    got a chance to try it out, I bought a few for bear deterrence. Lets say that it was not quite as bad as I thought it would be....

I used it in daylight , but the flash was bright enough to lose sight of the FB for a quick second. Im not sure it would start a fire as the flash was the same size as the FB body, but I would be careful in dry conditions.

Secondly the fuse was surprisingly FAST, a lot quicker detonation than I expected.... So DEFINITLY make sure you have the spoon in the webbing between your thumb and first finger, and when you toss it open your hand all the way. There is VERY little room for mistakes with that fast fuse, so you don't want it hanging up on your hand/fingers when you throw it.
    Also the pin takes a good tug to get it out......
    When I tossed it underhand it went off in mid-air about 15 yards in front of me....AS I SAID THE FUSE WAS SURPRISINGLY FAST..

Thirdly, the bang was just a bit louder than a shotgun blast, and there was some good concussion...

All in all I think they are very well made, and would make an EXCELLENT bear deterrant with a bear at about 20 yards or so...I will always take mine fly fishing/hiking/bowhunting as I think that they are perfect as a bear deterrant....I am very pleased with them for this purpose..

The battery (of course) died on my cell phone as I planned on filming it.

hope this helps
    Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKESKULL View Post
    My Benelli Super Nova entry with 3 1/2" magnum shells is wicked pisser loud. A friend shot off a bear banger and then I shot the gun and jaws dropped at how much louder the shotty was. They still talk about it to this day.
    I was really unimpressed with how loud bear bangers are. But I was also a little further away than I am from a muzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnC6 View Post
    I was really unimpressed with how loud bear bangers are. But I was also a little further away than I am from a muzzle.
    yep agree, they are more like a toy and are not very loud...plus the fact that they all seem to go off at different ranges makes them a little spooky.(had one go 40 yrds before goin off...and another pop of at my feet and go off) so yer takin a chance of a long delay goin off behind the bear....and sending it running at you...
    We used em in the bush at work all the time, not really impressed at them for bear deterrence.....but they are awesome to fire high up in the air over your buddy havin a bush dump...

I am super impressed with the FB's...I think they are perfect for bear deterrence....with the high quality construction...i feel that the fuse will be a dependable and consistent delay.....which is very important for judging distance in a deterrence situation.
    Last edited by slim123; 09-05-2016 at 07:01 PM.