Page 42 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2232343536373839404142434445464748495052 ... LastLast

Thread: The Varmints are coming!!!!

Quick range report. I was able to get out today to test a couple of different types of .223 factory ammo. Here are the best results I got, I shot at 100yrd and 50yrds because a 1-6 Vortex doesn't do the best for tight groups at 100yrds.

62gr Fusion
    100yrds: .755" 4 shot group
    50 yrds: .848" 4 shot group

55gr Hornady steel case Training
    100yrds: .546" 3 shot group (pulled one shot that opened up the 4rnd group to over 2")
    50yrds: .708" 4 shot group

62gr PMC X-TAC (green tip)
    100yrds: .815 3 shot group (4th round flyer opened group to 1.5")
    50yrds: .934 4 round group

75gr Hornady Steel Match
    100yrds: .924" 4 round group
    50yrds: .818" 5 shot group (best 4 shots were .383")

50gr Sako Speedhead
    100yrds: 1.332" 3 shot group (that was the best 3 shots not sure what happened there)
    50yrds: .677" 4 shot group

Side note: The Sako rounds did more damage to my AR500 targets than anything else. I put two rounds on top of one another and just about punched a hole through my 10" 3/8 thick gong.

Last edited by techi870; 02-17-2017 at 11:27 PM. Reason: spelling

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brianma65's Avatar
    Atrs open today?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rally guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by techi870 View Post
    Quick range report. I was able to get out today to test a couple of different types of .223 factory ammo. Here are the best results I got, I shot at 100yrd and 50yrds because a 1-6 Vortex doesn't do the best for tight groups at 100yrds.

62gr Fusion
    100yrds: .755" 4 shot group
    50 yrds: .848" 4 shot group

55gr Hornady steel case Training
    100yrds: .546" 3 shot group (pulled one shot that opened up the 4rnd group to over 2")
    50yrds: .708" 4 shot group

62gr PMC X-TAC (green tip)
    100yrds: .815 3 shot group (4th round flyer opened group to 1.5")
    50yrds: .934 4 round group

75gr Hornady Steel Match
    100yrds: .924" 4 round group
    50yrds: .818" 5 shot group (best 4 shots were .383")

50gr Sako Speedhead
    100yrds: 1.332" 3 shot group (that was the best 3 shots not sure what happened there)
    50yrds: .677" 4 shot group

Side note: The Sako rounds did more damage to my AR500 targets than anything else. I put two rounds on top of one another and just about punched a hole through my 10" 3/8 thick gong.

Thats great I would be very happy with this.

Well receive my MV today, I waited by the window from 8 am to 3h45 pm!

First of I am very happy ! I love the look, the feel and the handling. Pictures then observation

First picture : naked with Fortis handguard, mft minimalist stock and hogue grip: 6 pound 10 onces ( no mag)

Then as configured with loaner Leupold vx-r 4-12×40, aero precision mount and 2 small keymod rail: 7 pound 14 onces (no mag)

With qd bipod and and inforce 500 lumen/IR light : 9 pound 1 onces (no mag)

All that thanks to the mft stock, aero precision ultralight and the 14.6 oz leupold scope

Now what I noticed, I had to give a quarter plus turn on both the screws that hold the were pad for the charging handle as they were pertruding and the handle was rubbing of the finish. NOT a big deal don't care it took 2 second to fix. There seem to be a minimal up and down play in the rear trunnion that engage the lower and upper, its not a big deal since it doesn't affect accuracy and I will easily take care of that. Lastly looking down the bore at about 10 o'clock there is almost no clearance between the gas block and rail and very little force is needed for the gas block to make contact with the rail here and there is faire amout of clearance at 2 o'clock and up and down. Now for that it could be an accuracy killer imo? But I will wait for eather atrs to chime in or I will give them a call in the next couple of days. So I am not shipping it back for that as I am in N-B , I expect that after first consulting with atrs I will be taking a dremel to the inside of the rail to give me extra clearence.

Part from the last issue I am 100% happy with this and with the clearance issue I am still at 97% since its a 2 minutes fix.

I love the versatility of the package as I am able to swich my 2 bipod ( cheap cadwell on mft qd mount {pictured } and Sierra S7) between my DD M4V5, MV, BF M14 and lss-xl 10tr and my inforce light between the DD and MV. Also with front and rear handguard qd cup, magpul asap qd cup and the mft minimalist stock bottom qd cup its going to be great with my magpul ms4 sling switching from single to double point sling.

I borrowed the leupold from my RFB and I will need in the neer future decide what scope I put on this.its going to be a battle of price vs weigh vs capability/versatility. I am looking at the leupold vx6 hd 1-6, burris xtr ii 1-8, trijicon accupoint 1-6 and trijicon accuepower 1-8 ; maybe even the primary arms 1-8. Decision decisions. Also I will be ditching the A2 bird cage soon.

Also nice touch from ATRS to inculde a copy of the FRT in the manual, I fear it could come in handy!

I keep a copy of the FRT in my Magul grip so it is always with the gun.

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    I keep a copy of the FRT in my Magul grip so it is always with the gun.
    We also recommend for those with a smart phone to copy the FRT from our website for times when cell service is not where you happen to be.
    When it comes to LE and firearms one can never be too prepared.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    We also recommend for those with a smart phone to copy the FRT from our website for times when cell service is not where you happen to be.
    When it comes to LE and firearms one can never be too prepared.
    Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by rally guy View Post
    Also nice touch from ATRS to inculde a copy of the FRT in the manual, I fear it could come in handy!
    Sorry to hear you had to tweak the rifle. The plastic insert should have been flush as should the screws have been. If you had to tighten them could you please put a dob of BLUE Loktite onto the screws so that they do not loosen off. They are very short so not too many threads are engaged, some Loktite will solve the case of the "disappearing screws".

The gas block is about as small as it can be. We made them smaller quite some time back in order to try and prevent the Fortis hand guards from making contact with the gas block.
    Unfortunately given the amount of flex in the Fortis system it is still possible to flex the handguard enough that it can make contact. Especially if 1 "loads" a bipod heavily as some guys do.

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

Quote Originally Posted by rally guy View Post
    Thanks for the heads up!
    I can't fault the various LE guys for not being 100% up to date on all the gun laws, as for so long if it was black meant it was restricted. To have proof that your rifle is NOT restricted on the spot can save a number of headaches.
    This I learned from experience back when we were in the initial testing stages with the 1st Hunter.