Page 45 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2535373839404142434445464748495051525355 ... LastLast

Thread: The Varmints are coming!!!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brianma65's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ATRS Shaun View Post
    In looking at some installation videos, I can't see any conflicting reasons why it wouldn't work. So I'll say that it 'should' work. We don't deal with KAC, but an individual is welcome to supply one.

Changes to specific builds are best addressed via our email at info@albertatacticalrifle.com or by telephone at 403-277-7786.
    Thanks, I'll call tomorrow.

With the fortis having an inside measurement of 1.34 and KAC at 1.55.
    Would the top rail still line up ,with the upper rail?

Sorry, but my experience is limited
    Last edited by Brianma65; 03-28-2017 at 08:47 PM.

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianma65 View Post
    Thanks, I'll call tomorrow.

With the fortis having an inside measurement of 1.34 and KAC at 1.55.
    Would the top rail still line up ,with the upper rail?

Sorry, but my experience is limited
    The AR15 rail height is standardised, unlike the AR10 (what a pita). This means that the height on the rail for an ASA, Colt, DPMS, ATRS AT15, Dlask, NEA, KAC, Les Baier, etc. etc. etc. should all have the exact same height from the center-line of the bore to the top of the rail on the receiver. This is what makes those rifles so fantastic is that because of this standardisation the interchangeability of parts is so simple. We would have to be crazy to give the Modern Varmint a different rail height from bore than all of the AR15 furniture that it's meant to utilise. So as long as the rail on that URX lines up with every brand of AR15 upper receivers top rail out there, it'll line up on a MV.

The only place we really come into fitment issues with handguards is they're either too narrow for the gas block or barrel contour, or more commonly, they have 'alignment tabs'

The reason being is our uppers on the varmint/hunter or even our AT15 do not conform to the thin-walled forged receiver profile. We make them a little thicker for extra rigidity, which is quite common in billet receivers. On a handguard such as the samson it's not difficult to simply cut off the tab and install it without a tab to index the rail. On something larger like the Rainier, it's more difficult to remove such a large slab off the side of the handguard in an aesthetically pleasing manner.

Quote Originally Posted by rally guy View Post
    Well receive my MV today, I waited by the window from 8 am to 3h45 pm!

First of I am very happy ! I love the look, the feel and the handling. Pictures then observation

First picture : naked with Fortis handguard, mft minimalist stock and hogue grip: 6 pound 10 onces ( no mag)

Then as configured with loaner Leupold vx-r 4-12×40, aero precision mount and 2 small keymod rail: 7 pound 14 onces (no mag)

With qd bipod and and inforce 500 lumen/IR light : 9 pound 1 onces (no mag)

All that thanks to the mft stock, aero precision ultralight and the 14.6 oz leupold scope

Now what I noticed, I had to give a quarter plus turn on both the screws that hold the were pad for the charging handle as they were pertruding and the handle was rubbing of the finish. NOT a big deal don't care it took 2 second to fix. There seem to be a minimal up and down play in the rear trunnion that engage the lower and upper, its not a big deal since it doesn't affect accuracy and I will easily take care of that. Lastly looking down the bore at about 10 o'clock there is almost no clearance between the gas block and rail and very little force is needed for the gas block to make contact with the rail here and there is faire amout of clearance at 2 o'clock and up and down. Now for that it could be an accuracy killer imo? But I will wait for eather atrs to chime in or I will give them a call in the next couple of days. So I am not shipping it back for that as I am in N-B , I expect that after first consulting with atrs I will be taking a dremel to the inside of the rail to give me extra clearence.

Part from the last issue I am 100% happy with this and with the clearance issue I am still at 97% since its a 2 minutes fix.

I love the versatility of the package as I am able to swich my 2 bipod ( cheap cadwell on mft qd mount {pictured } and Sierra S7) between my DD M4V5, MV, BF M14 and lss-xl 10tr and my inforce light between the DD and MV. Also with front and rear handguard qd cup, magpul asap qd cup and the mft minimalist stock bottom qd cup its going to be great with my magpul ms4 sling switching from single to double point sling.

I borrowed the leupold from my RFB and I will need in the neer future decide what scope I put on this.its going to be a battle of price vs weigh vs capability/versatility. I am looking at the leupold vx6 hd 1-6, burris xtr ii 1-8, trijicon accupoint 1-6 and trijicon accuepower 1-8 ; maybe even the primary arms 1-8. Decision decisions. Also I will be ditching the A2 bird cage soon.
    I'd go with the Leupold VX6 HD 1 to 6 or 2 to 12. Must admit - no first-hand experience with any of the others, but have a VX6 3 to 18 I'm super happy with on a 7mm. Already had an optic to put on my MV or that's what I would have gone with. 16oz and tremendously useful magnification range... good for 3 gun to gophers to coyotes with that...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brianma65's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ATRS Shaun View Post
    The AR15 rail height is standardised, unlike the AR10 (what a pita). This means that the height on the rail for an ASA, Colt, DPMS, ATRS AT15, Dlask, NEA, KAC, Les Baier, etc. etc. etc. should all have the exact same height from the center-line of the bore to the top of the rail on the receiver. This is what makes those rifles so fantastic is that because of this standardisation the interchangeability of parts is so simple. We would have to be crazy to give the Modern Varmint a different rail height from bore than all of the AR15 furniture that it's meant to utilise. So as long as the rail on that URX lines up with every brand of AR15 upper receivers top rail out there, it'll line up on a MV.

The only place we really come into fitment issues with handguards is they're either too narrow for the gas block or barrel contour, or more commonly, they have 'alignment tabs'

The reason being is our uppers on the varmint/hunter or even our AT15 do not conform to the thin-walled forged receiver profile. We make them a little thicker for extra rigidity, which is quite common in billet receivers. On a handguard such as the samson it's not difficult to simply cut off the tab and install it without a tab to index the rail. On something larger like the Rainier, it's more difficult to remove such a large slab off the side of the handguard in an aesthetically pleasing manner.
    Thanks,
    The KAC URX is on da way..
    Hope I didn't make a mistake

CGN Ultra frequent flyer carverk's Avatar
    I bin working and forgot my modern varmater is finished and I still need to make final payment

I just got my Bushnell DMR II-i 3.5-21x50 in the mail today. I wish it would have come earlier so I could have gone to the range and sighted it in.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer carverk's Avatar
    I got my MV and having sum problems with the fit of the upper and lower so it's back to ATRS
    Never put a roand throw it as problem is I can see day light all along the seem between the upper and lower and Ther is play between them

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rally guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carverk View Post
    I got my MV and having sum problems with the fit of the upper and lower so it's back to ATRS
    Never put a roand throw it as problem is I can see day light all along the seem between the upper and lower and Ther is play between them
    I do think minimal play between the upper and lower is normal due to the trunnion system, cause remember this is not an AR , I imagine that if the trunnion was machine the exact same size as the protrusion in the upper it might be extremely difficult to asseble together.

Maybe others can chime in and give there opinions on this mather.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rally guy View Post
    I do think minimal play between the upper and lower is normal due to the trunnion system, cause remember this is not an AR , I imagine that if the trunnion was machine the exact same size as the protrusion in the upper it might be extremely difficult to asseble together.

Maybe others can chime in and give there opinions on this mather.
    The trunnion is supposed to be a little hard to get together/apart, and is supposed to be a much tighter fit than the average AR. My MV has no gap between upper/lower and has very very little play.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-17-2020 at 08:48 PM.