Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A request for the XCR

CGN Ultra frequent flyer DaveMachine's Avatar
    Edit: nevermind, I see how they work now lol

Id be in for one!
    I believe in Ammunition..

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba View Post
    That is the thing, you don't need a new barrel for a .22LR conversion in some rifles. Just a bolt swap and magazine. It won't be the most accurate thing.
    My concern would be the rifling in the barrel - Being .003" smaller diameter, would the bullet careen / bounce down the barrel and damage the rifling because it's not a tight fit?
    ...Or would the .22 bullet expand to .223 as it leaves the chamber? I'm not trying to troll, I honestly don't know how that would work.

(Edit: That all said, if this works, and it doesn't change the ergonomics of the XCR at all, I'd be all in for buying a kit!)
    Last edited by Astute Observer; 12-28-2016 at 01:08 PM.

I have talked to Alex about .22 conversion kits for the XCR in the past. Their products are not cheap at the best of times. I simply don't think Rob Arms could ever sell a high enough volume to bring the cost down to a reasonable level.

Pretty expensive.22 if you ask me, I'd way sooner grab the new GSG for $500

Quote Originally Posted by Astute Observer View Post
    My concern would be the rifling in the barrel - Being .003" smaller diameter, would the bullet careen / bounce down the barrel and damage the rifling because it's not a tight fit?
    ...Or would the .22 bullet expand to .223 as it leaves the chamber? I'm not trying to troll, I honestly don't know how that would work.

(Edit: That all said, if this works, and it doesn't change the ergonomics of the XCR at all, I'd be all in for buying a kit!)
    I have only ever shot lead .22LR out of converted rifles, nothing jacketed. Lead is pretty soft compared to the hardened steel barrel. Never heard of or seen any damage to rifling in the barrels. Not to mention, the pressure difference between .22LR and 5.56 is significant. Also, still accurate enough to hit man sized targets out to 50 meters.

Only thing that is a little different in maintenance, is to clean out any lead built up within the barrel and gas port. Just like shooting any unjacketed bullets in any firearm really.
    Is Russian gun. Big paperclip is hold together. Not safe. Is gun. Hit sight with hammer. Use gun for hammer. All same.
    - SgtR; from a thread talking about adjusting the sights on a Tokarev tt-33 on http://www.tallahasseegunforum.com/

Quote Originally Posted by adamskryan View Post
    Pretty expensive.22 if you ask me, I'd way sooner grab the new GSG for $500
    These conversions, be it for an AR-15 platform or any other military style rifle is not meant to be a stand alone .22LR system. They are meant to allow cheap training to familiarize the specific drills to a platform. Train the fundamental principles of shooting cheaply. Also, allows for more flexibility of training; like shooting indoor on a 25 yard range which might not have a backstop that can handle regular rifle rounds. Or you are shooting on a reactive target range, where you don't really want to be pumping 5.56 into the robotic dummies all day.

You should not look at it as a $2,000 .22LR system. But a $2,000 5.56 rifle, that you tack on a $150 kit to that expands your options depending on the situation. Two very different scenarios.
    Is Russian gun. Big paperclip is hold together. Not safe. Is gun. Hit sight with hammer. Use gun for hammer. All same.
    - SgtR; from a thread talking about adjusting the sights on a Tokarev tt-33 on http://www.tallahasseegunforum.com/

What about a 300 BLK?? Thankz

Quote Originally Posted by Xero View Post

The .22LR AR-15 conversion bolts essentially have a .223 / 5.56 cartridge shaped extrusion that acts as the chamber for the .22LR cartridge.
    Ha, very cool! Indeed a funky looking bolt. Thanks for posting the picture!
    CSSA Lifetime member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by scuba View Post
    My own experience is limited. But the .22LR conversions that I have shot before, were always just a different bolt and magazine. The barrel stayed the same. No changes to the barrel, tolerances between .22LR and 5.56mm are not that different. Not the most accurate, but good for training the fundamentals of shooting principles cheaply. Or where there are restrictions with the backstop. Essentially, you have a blow back rim fire rifle.

This is not like a hand gun conversion.
    That's why I think 22 WMR would be ideal since it's bullet is the same diameter as the 223 Rem.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123