Baofeng UV-5R

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwpowell

Regular
Hey CanAm,

I saw a thread where you guys mentioned that you'll have these in stock again soon, with a specific date attached to it, was hoping to pick a couple up, but now I can't find the post! Still happening?

Nice, love that little radio. Think you might sell other Baofeng radios like the BF-F8HP in the future?

Not trying to pile on the questions, but will you have the USB programming cables available? You mentioned a bunch of accessories in the newsletter.

Thanks for bringing these in, I'm starting my beginner ham course this Saturday :p

I would also be interested in replacement antennas and the extra battery packs that take AA batteries if you are able to get them at some point.

Anyone done a review on these units yet?

Countless reviews, on countless different sites. *YouTube and Google will set you free!*

You don't have to wait for a Gunnie to give you his 2 cents. These have been around for awhile, so you can easily learn the good, bad and ugly.
(But since you asked: Here's an opinion from a Gunnut that has bought 23 of these so far: The 'Bad' and the 'Ugly' are laughable when you consider the price.)

-3800mah battery: YES!
-Baofeng programming cable: 100% YES!
-Antenna upgrade (Nagoya 701, 771, Pryme AL-800, etc): YES! (But don't toss the original. When you don't need the extra distance, the longer antennas are a real PITA on a hip-worn radio.)

Anyone done a review on these units yet?

I've used the UV-5R a fair bit. Got one in the glovebox in my car as a backup for my Yaesu VX-7R. For what you pay, the radio does alright.

The AA battery pack is handy, but use good high capacity batteries as the cheapo carbon-zinc AA's get ate real fast when transmitting on high power.

All the accessories like antennas and stuff can be found cheap on eBay.

I take it that there are videos on how to program them and such. I bought a couple and need to learn how to use them lol.

Been using the UV-5R for years, have a few UV-5Rs including a UV-5RA along with some Motorala GP-68's. This 5RA with extended battery and telephone style handset is my favorite, I use it to call in airstrikes regularly - lol

BTW: One tip would be to upgrade the stock antenna to a "real" Nagoya Na-701 antenna, makes a world of difference!

uv-5ra.jpg

Attachments

• uv-5ra.jpg
    uv-5ra.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 2,320
Been using the UV-5R for years, have a few UV-5Rs including a UV-5RA along with some Motorala GP-68's. This 5RA with extended battery and telephone style handset is my favorite, I use it to call in airstrikes regularly - lol

BTW: One tip would be to upgrade the stock antenna to a "real" Nagoya Na-701 antenna, makes a world of difference!

Where did you get the handset? That looks like it's all that and a bag of potato chips!

I take it that there are videos on how to program them and such. I bought a couple and need to learn how to use them lol.
Don't be afraid of the programming. There's some good sttutorials online. The tricky part is if you're programming it for duplex repeater work you have to enter the TX frequency after you program the RX frequency, tone, shift, etc...
If anyone needs help pm me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom