Baofeng UV-5R

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't bother with the HAM license. Just don't piss people off on the commercial frequencies. I use mine on the logging roads all the time and talk to the truckers. The UV-5R has dual band so I will monitor the Resource Road channel for the area I'm in and then program in the FRS/GMRS channels for talking to friends.

Talking on commercial radio frequencies or use for FRS/gmrs from an amateur radio transmitter (whether licensed or not) is also prohibited.

For a group of Canadians that advertise themselves as law abiding and statistically less likely to commit crimes, I'm surprised at how willingly so many are violating the Radiocommunication Act and regulations.

Getting a ham license is cheap and easy. What you'll learn will ensure that you don't harm anyone nor interfere with other licensed users.

Www.rac.ca

A friend and I used these on our deer hunt last week in central Ontario. We easily got 1km range out of them on heavily wooded remote terrain. As I have said in other posts these are great radios. Get a programming cable and you can program them quickly and give the channels alpha-numeric tags. We did not charge them for the entire week.

You don't need a license to receive/listen, only to transmit.
If you're on an active fsr, sometimes listening is all you need to do.

Technically speaking if it is an Amateur Radio and one does not have an Amateur Radio in ones possession then technically speaking one is breaking the law .

As for ''Its also funny how many people think things that effect no one and have no victim are "crimes" I would ask this, just because there is no communications being heard would there no crime if unauthorized use of said frequency interfered with Emergency Services Operations?

Yeah I thought so.....

As for having one (Transmitter) and using it to monitor you do not need a license I suggest that is incorrect.
I maybe splitting hairs, but there are penalties if one has drawn the attention of Industry Canada to ones location.

Try buying an Amateur Radio from an actual radio shop and see where you go with it.

Buy what you like and operate as you like , just be informed on what may or may not be legal.
Rob

"Try buying an Amateur Radio from an actual radio shop and see where you go with it."

I didn't buy mine from Canam, they came from an actual radio shop. I don't have a license.
I know the rules and the risk.
When I transmit, no chatter just the facts. "SUV 32km up", "SUV 33km up", etc.
Ever met a logging truck in a corner? They appreciate knowing where you are as much we do knowing where they are.

These aren't 2 way radios that you'd use for your hunting party. Know it and respect it and no one will have a problem.

As for ''Its also funny how many people think things that effect no one and have no victim are "crimes" I would ask this, just because there is no communications being heard would there no crime if unauthorized use of said frequency interfered with Emergency Services Operations?

Yeah I thought so.....

Sorry but these radios and radios that operate within legal frequency limits are incapable of operating on emergency services frequencies.

Nice try but still BS

As for having one (Transmitter) and using it to monitor you do not need a license I suggest that is incorrect.
I maybe splitting hairs, but there are penalties if one has drawn the attention of Industry Canada to ones location.

Care to post the link

Shawn

Last edited:
Sorry but these radios and radios that operate within legal frequency limits are incapable of operating on emergency services frequencies.

Nice try but still BS

Care to post the link

Shawn

Actually the RCMP Trunked Radio System uses: 421.1625, 421.1875, 421.2625, 421.3375 and 421.4875 for example. You know where that sits in the TX range of the UV-5R? Right in the middle of its UHF range. Guess you're wrong! Also Police still have communications in the 150MHz band which is capable of being transmitted on by the UV-5R.

Also here in the Radiocommunication Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. R-2):

"4 (1) No person shall, except under and in accordance with a radio authorization, install, operate or possess radio apparatus, other than

(a) radio apparatus exempted by or under regulations made under paragraph 6(1)(m); or

(b) radio apparatus that is capable only of the reception of broadcasting and that is not a distribution undertaking."

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/R-2/page-2.html#h-4

The Baofeng UV-5R is not a license exempt device. You can double check that here by reading RSS-210 - Licence-Exempt Radio Apparatus: Category I Equipment: https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf01320.html

(I have my Amateur, Restricted Aeronautical and Restricted Marine certifications btw.)

Actually the RCMP Trunked Radio System uses: 421.1625, 421.1875, 421.2625, 421.3375 and 421.4875 for example. You know where that sits in the TX range of the UV-5R? Right in the middle of its UHF range. Guess you're wrong! Also Police still have communications in the 150MHz band which is capable of being transmitted on by the UV-5R.

Police have equipment that is capable to transmit in nearly any freq range. It does not make it prohibited to use that freq. And yes the trunk system is in that range but they have been moving away form that for years. It the last decade all the radio communication during emergency operation I have had contact with were outside of the operation range of the beofang as well as the patrol radios.

Can you post the section of the rss that prohibits the beofang, I have read it and i can not find it.

Shawn

Police have equipment that is capable to transmit in nearly any freq range. It does not make it prohibited to use that freq. And yes the trunk system is in that range but they have been moving away form that for years. It the last decade all the radio communication during emergency operation I have had contact with were outside of the operation range of the beofang as well as the patrol radios.

Can you post the section of the rss that prohibits the beofang, I have read it and i can not find it.

Shawn

RSS-210 defines which devices are License Exempt. The Baofeng being a device that is capable of transmitting on the Amateur Band as well as Marine/Commercial Bands at a power of up to five watts is not License Exempt. It's not prohibited... well to folks with the right certification.

I'm assuming you're talking about the newer Police radios that are frequency agile up in the 800-900MHz range? (I used to outfit new RCMP vehicles with their equipment.)

Well Sean or what ever you name is , you called me out, but have you actually read the Regulations regarding these radios?
Nope, you didnt and because I posted my educated opinion I'll leave your quest for knowledge as such...a quest.
9x19 you mentioned a radio shop, ok thats fine, but are they a licensed radio shop ?
There was a shop in Burnaby that was selling amateur radios to unlicensed customers and they had their business wrapped by Industry Canada a few years back.
Before I heard of CGN.
You bought one thats fine, you know the risks involved thats fine too.
Is it legal ?
Who am I to say?
Yup, just another guy here on CGN who has an informed and educated opinion on this topic.
Best Regards,
Rob

Shawn

Shawn, with all my respect, your statements prove that you have less then basic knowledge in communication and you should STOP giving WRONG or FALSE informations about ANYTHING that is related to radio-communication...

Police DO NOT HAVE ANY EQUIPEMENT that can transmit in ANY FREQUENCY RANGE like you say, police use commercial radio that are programmed by technician with special computer and software, nothing keypad entry like the baoefeng or similar radio.
You can ask any police officer wich frequency they use and most of them even don't have a clue.

They use either the VHF band or the UHF band. For exemple, the VHF commercial band is from 136 to 174 MHZ, in that segment a tiny portion is allowed to be used by LICENCED HAM from 144 to 148 MHZ. Police DO USE ( VHF or UHF) encrypted communications ( wich will sound similar to a fax machine to your ears ) but if you use the same frequency as them, even if they are encrypted, you can screw their job and jeopardise their security or life.... and NO the police or ANY TASK FORCE in canada have radio OUT OF RANGE of the Baoefeng, thoses band frequency plan are the same or almost AROUND THE WORLD.

Please read HERE : http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf10759.html#t2

The only entity that is allowed to use different frequency then the VHF or UHF frequency within the Baoefeng or similar radio range are the military wich use frequency from few kHz up to the vhf band plan, most of the time, on the battle field, it will be in the 50MHZ or 70MHZ range and if across the world or different country will be between 1 mhz up to 30mhz depending the distance and the conditions THEN and ONLY THEN these frequency are out of range of such mentionned radios.

As for the legality of baoefeng, BY THE LAW, they are even NOT legal to be owned by ham radio unless you have a ADVANCED license and then the radio must be used for experimentation. You will NEVER find a list of radios that are not allowed in canada because the law is CLEAR, if the device is NOT approved by industrie canada ( or FCC in USA ) that device is PROHEBITED to be owned. and 99% or the chiness radio like the Baoefeng are NOT approved by industrie canada.

If you need any REAL FACT or if you have any question feel free to write it here and i will be glad to answer to the best of my knowledge

Respectfully

Marc

Shawn, with all my respect, your statements prove that you have less then basic knowledge in communication and you should STOP giving WRONG or FALSE informations about ANYTHING that is related to radio-communication...

Police DO NOT HAVE ANY EQUIPEMENT that can transmit in ANY FREQUENCY RANGE like you say, police use commercial radio that are programmed by technician with special computer and software, nothing keypad entry like the baoefeng or similar radio.
You can ask any police officer wich frequency they use and most of them even don't have a clue.

They use either the VHF band or the UHF band. For exemple, the VHF commercial band is from 136 to 174 MHZ, in that segment a tiny portion is allowed to be used by LICENCED HAM from 144 to 148 MHZ. Police DO USE ( VHF or UHF) encrypted communications ( wich will sound similar to a fax machine to your ears ) but if you use the same frequency as them, even if they are encrypted, you can screw their job and jeopardise their security or life.... and NO the police or ANY TASK FORCE in canada have radio OUT OF RANGE of the Baoefeng, thoses band frequency plan are the same or almost AROUND THE WORLD.

Please read HERE : http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf10759.html#t2

The only entity that is allowed to use different frequency then the VHF or UHF frequency within the Baoefeng or similar radio range are the military wich use frequency from few kHz up to the vhf band plan, most of the time, on the battle field, it will be in the 50MHZ or 70MHZ range and if across the world or different country will be between 1 mhz up to 30mhz depending the distance and the conditions THEN and ONLY THEN these frequency are out of range of such mentionned radios.

As for the legality of baoefeng, BY THE LAW, they are even NOT legal to be owned by ham radio unless you have a ADVANCED license and then the radio must be used for experimentation. You will NEVER find a list of radios that are not allowed in canada because the law is CLEAR, if the device is NOT approved by industrie canada ( or FCC in USA ) that device is PROHEBITED to be owned. and 99% or the chiness radio like the Baoefeng are NOT approved by industrie canada.

If you need any REAL FACT or if you have any question feel free to write it here and i will be glad to answer to the best of my knowledge

Respectfully

Marc

Well said. When unlicensed people start screwing around on transceivers its like flying a drone through controlled airspace. Might be fun but I guarantee you are going to piss someone off.

Will you be getting more of these radios and accessories before christmas? Mostly interested in an extended battery and a programming cable.

Sendero,

Well written. Took the words out of my mouth. As a ham radio operator and a manager for a large private land mobile radio installation in Vancouver, Shawn should not disburse disinformation.

Either way these radios provide excellent value and safety in the bush or while driving remote logging roads, that said I will continue to use my radios and be respectful of their capabilities and others.

Police do have equipment that can operate in nearly any commonly used freq range. I never said that every police officer has the equipment or the knowledge to do so.

and NO the police or ANY TASK FORCE in canada have radio OUT OF RANGE of the Baoefeng,

They do I have used it, with 3 federal LEO agencies, multiple municipal agencies, the military as well as civillian search and rescue. All had the capability to operate in nearly all common frequencies, including ones out side of the operating range of the beofeng. Even the guy that installed radios for the police confirmed that.

Again, incorrect I have use it

You are correct I was mistaken about that, as pointed out by threemilesfinal

Thanks for the offer.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom