$vboptions[bbtitle]

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hemorrhage Control - The Tampon Myth

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet Phat Eagle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aniest View Post
    You will have to explain the bamboo t-shirt for a curious lay-person.
    Bamboo shirts will absorb more volume than cotton and will shed fewer particles.

As usual, CTOMS is on point! Moral of the story: get some proper shell dressings for your kit!
    Molon Labe!! Write your MP, Minister of Public Safety and the PM to protest the prohibition of the 80 lowers, 10/22 mags, 858 Spartan!
    Interested in Tactical Rifle shooting in the Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley? Check out dssmatch.com!

Thanks for this post, I definitely learned something.
    Member: CSSA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have no life
    Thanks you.
    Semper Fi

I thought anyone that believed that was an idiot, but I guess a lot goes around the net. Thanks for posting this for those that may have thought it was a good idea.
    Travis Kay
    http://www.traviskay.ca
    linkedin.com/in/kaytravis
    twitter.com/traviskay
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA member, are you? In the greater Vancouver area? Drop me a PM

It takes 3-5 days for the bleeding to stop under normal usage conditions. Why anyone would think it would work any faster in a trauma situation....^sarcasm off^

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet Juster's Avatar
    The plastic wrapper of the tampon could have some uses, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hhutch View Post
    It takes 3-5 days for the bleeding to stop under normal usage conditions. Why anyone would think it would work any faster in a trauma situation....^sarcasm off^
    The classic physiology joke is "What's the bleeding time?" "Ten past ten, sir."
    The correct answer being 3-5 minutes. This is from a small nick, not a severed artery, of course, platelet plug.
    Instead of being troubled by what is really evil, people make a big fuss over what is merely conventionally evil. -Diogenes

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet Gunneegoogoo's Avatar
    I'll just add that "pressure" is the key word.

As you all know pressure is a function of force and surface area, right?? Lotsa force on a small area = lotsa pressure.

If there is a focal bleeder, put your damn finger on it!!!

It's best to not clamp vessels cause the vascular surgeons will curse your name, but if tourniquet control ain't doing it and you need your hands free to get someone out of the bush, or the line of fire, then damn the vascular guys - they can do a graft.

There is one old "myth" that is worthwhile. A foley catheter inflated in the wound will indeed provide some haemostasis.

I'd suggest the combat tourniquets for everyone's backpack. Inexpensive, and if you do something stupid you can help yourself.

You have about 6 hours of "warm ischemic time" before you start risking your limb, but remember - LIFE BEFORE LIMB....

Also, remember - SETTLE DOWN!!! The sight of blood need not cause you to poop in your pants. Pouring blood is not "a hit artery". Outside of warzones, arterial injuries are exceedingly rare. Veinous can be pretty common, and are easily controlled.

Very good thread and interesting topic.

GGG

Quote Originally Posted by Gunneegoogoo View Post
    I'll just add that "pressure" is the key word.

As you all know pressure is a function of force and surface area, right?? Lotsa force on a small area = lotsa pressure.

If there is a focal bleeder, put your damn finger on it!!!

It's best to not clamp vessels cause the vascular surgeons will curse your name, but if tourniquet control ain't doing it and you need your hands free to get someone out of the bush, or the line of fire, then damn the vascular guys - they can do a graft.

There is one old "myth" that is worthwhile. A foley catheter inflated in the wound will indeed provide some haemostasis.

I'd suggest the combat tourniquets for everyone's backpack. Inexpensive, and if you do something stupid you can help yourself.

You have about 6 hours of "warm ischemic time" before you start risking your limb, but remember - LIFE BEFORE LIMB....

Also, remember - SETTLE DOWN!!! The sight of blood need not cause you to poop in your pants. Pouring blood is not "a hit artery". Outside of warzones, arterial injuries are exceedingly rare. Veinous can be pretty common, and are easily controlled.

Very good thread and interesting topic.

GGG
    I concur Dr.

Last edited by vancouverbc; 09-25-2016 at 01:47 AM.

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet Gunneegoogoo's Avatar
    Dr???

I just read a lot, and spent last night at a Holiday Inn Express.....

rpt

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast