Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HSM Bear Loads - 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45-70, 445 Colt - in stock at AmmoSupply.ca!

Quote Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
    Are the 44mag longer in OAL than a standard 44mag round or is it functional in lever action rifles?

I have purchased BB 305gr 44mag and it doesn't feed properly as it is too long.
    I bought some of these HSM .44 bear loads for the girlfriend's 12" Chiappa, but never got around to actually trying them out... She felt the regular 240 gr rounds (from the more mainstream manufacturers) were "stout" enough for her shoulder. I was busy trying the 45/70 bear loads and didn't bother with hers. I'm at work for another week but will take some of the .44s and her rifle out when I get home and post back here if that helps at all.

Will you be getting any bear defence rounds in .408 Chey Tac? I am an anxious person and would prefer to defend myself from the bear when it is still 2km away.

CGN frequent flyer
    Im going to run the 357 rounds in my Henry Mares leg... gun is awesome for most situations, but would be pretty weak against bears... even with this ammo it would still be questionable... but at least ill be packing the max i can so no excuses.

Thanks for getting tis stuff to us.

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by neoconfection View Post
    Will you be getting any bear defence rounds in .408 Chey Tac? I am an anxious person and would prefer to defend myself from the bear when it is still 2km away.
    Sorry, unlikely on that one!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
    Are the 44mag longer in OAL than a standard 44mag round or is it functional in lever action rifles?

I have purchased BB 305gr 44mag and it doesn't feed properly as it is too long.
    I bought a box from Kate a couple of years ago (when they first became available) and was concerned that they wouldn't feed properly in my .44 Rossi Ranch Hand. I'd researched the hell out of them, and they are a bit longer than the standard everyday .44 Magnum. Plus the wide flat nose of the 305 g WFN slug looked iffy. Fortunately they cycled just fine. But ... and it is a big BUT ... I had returned my RH to Wanstall's for warranty work almost as soon as I had received it (From the first batch to arrive in Canada!)... it wasn't feeding properly ... regular .44 Magnum cartridges getting hung-up-on the way in.

When I mailed them the gun, I also enclosed the Rossi Tune-up kit and accompanying instructional DVD that I'd ordered from Steve's Gunz in the Excited States (which unfortunately no longer ships/sells to Canada). Wanstall's gunsmith was going to be taking the thing apart anyways, so I said that I would happily pay the going rate to have the action job done at the same time. The gun came back slick and flawless, and (to Wanstall's everlasting credit) they just comped the extra work. Very classy. And, as I said, it even feeds them oversized HSM Bootique Bear Boolits.

Which, bearing in mind the bigger slug and higher velocity, offer about 44% more energy than "regular" .44 Magnum ... if I remember my math correctly. If you're carrying it as a bear gun (I lived on a mountain ranch at the time), it would be foolish not to load it with the HSM cartridges.

Incidentally, my other bear gun is a stock Marine Magnum with Tru-Glo front sight and loaded with Brenneke Black Magic slugs ... purchased about 15 years ago in North Dakota.
    Last edited by boomer49; 10-10-2016 at 08:10 PM.

I'd probably try a box in .454 Casull if you got those in. I prefer full length stuff over the 45 Colt loads in my Rossi 92.
    "You can't be a leader if you don't know where you're going"

BANNED
    Any idea if this 44 mag will cycle in a desert eagle?

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ESTRADA View Post
    Hard to say - I couldn't find any specific feedback on it. Regardless, I always recommend trying different ammo with each firearm as even the same models shoot differently. Get a box and try it, if you like it, buy a few more!

Do you still offer free shipping in Alberta on orders over $200 .... or was that a limited deal ?

Quote Originally Posted by ESTRADA View Post
    I wouldn't personally. It will have no problem cycling given the power. Although these are hard cast bullets, they will still foul the gas ports just not as fast as typical lead cast.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast