Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping estimates... are they accurate?

CGN frequent flyer

Shipping estimates... are they accurate?

Im looking to buy 2 boxes of 357 and a package of seeds... shipping is estimated at $30... that seems really high to me.
    Is that an accurate estimate? I just shipped a Derya MK10 in its case across the country (weighted 9kg) for $22...

Uber Super GunNutz
    You can go to Canada Post website and look it up for yourself - just need to know or guesstimate weight, length x width x depth, originating postal code and destination postal code. Don't need anyone's opinion about cost. Plus, some sellers will charge something for the packaging, and/or the "stuffing" to protect the goods.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sailor723's Avatar
    Sent a PM to Kate and ask for a quote. For some reason the shipping calculator on their site is often way off.
    Fan of Browning Hi-Powers and both S&W and Colt revolvers

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Potashminer View Post
    You can go to Canada Post website and look it up for yourself - just need to know or guesstimate weight, length x width x depth, originating postal code and destination postal code. Don't need anyone's opinion about cost. Plus, some sellers will charge something for the packaging, and/or the "stuffing" to protect the goods.
    Canada Post doesnt ship ammo... Ammosupply uses Canpar.

CGN frequent flyer midnightpossum's Avatar
    I don't think Canada post ships ammo.. but you can expect at least $15 for an empty box to be shipped.. then it goes up from there.
    No retreat,No surrender

$30 bucks to move something across the country seems decent to me

CGN frequent flyer
    Like I posted, I shipped an 8kg package that was nearly 4 feet X 2 feet X 7 inches tall for $22... that included a signature. This was via canada post so I get that it would be a bit cheaper than Can par but all I'm buying is 2 boxes of 50 rounds of ammo and a package of seeds. Theres no way that comes even slightly close to 9kg and the size would be tiny. I would expect something like this to cost less than $20. But I was hoping to hear from Kate. Which is why I PMed her as suggested. Im sure shell get me all sorted out.

I have found parcels basically start at around $15 at Canada post . I have seldom shipped anything that is a parcel that is under the $13-$15 range..even really compact and light items seem to start in this range

I can understand it being frustrating that a small pkg can cost as much or more than a large one. Part of the problem is that there is a minimum required shipment for packages. A lot of times this starts at $15 (as suggested above) and can go up from there. Ammo is likely considered hazmat so that in itself may entail an extra fee, whereas the rifle would not have been a 'dangerous good' by shippers' standards.

Moving a 2kg box vs a 4kg or even 8kg box twice the size isn't really going to cost the shipper anything extra unless they're maxing out their capacity (unlikely), and the cost of receiving/processing/tracking the good is the same pretty much regardless of size - ie still requires the same amount of paperwork and overhead. This is why it gets considerably cheaper to ship 2 things together rather than 2 things separately.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sailor723's Avatar
    Also, remember that ammo is classed as hazardous goods. I suspect the surcharge for that is the same whether it's one box or a whole case.
    Fan of Browning Hi-Powers and both S&W and Colt revolvers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast