Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More dealers needed for 10/22 magazine legal action

More dealers needed for 10/22 magazine legal action

CSAAA and Team CSSA join to enable legal action against 10/22 magazine re-classification

July 28, 2016, PETERBOROUGH, ONTARIO - The Canadian Sporting Arms and Ammunition Association (CSAAA), representing firearms business owners, has joined with the Canadian Shooting Sports Association (CSSA), representing recreational firearms owners, to empower legal action against the recent decision by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Firearms Program to prohibit several brands of imported 10/22 enhanced capacity rifle magazines.
    The CSAAA and CSSA Boards of Directors voted late last week to raise and contribute funding to a legal defence fund to make this legal action possible.
    The action will be conducted by noted firearms lawyer Edward L. Burlew, L.L.B. , General Counsel for the CSSA.
    Mr. Burlew states, "This recent, sudden reversal deprives legal firearms owners of their property rights and attacks their freedom. The RCMP has a duty to every Canadian to act fairly and consistently. The recent decision to reverse position on Ruger 10/22 magazines holding over 10 cartridges is a deliberate move to cause serious worry to hundreds of thousands of Canadians, licenced firearms dealers and importers."

Burlew adds, " A Federal Court Class Action on behalf of all persons, individuals, dealers and distributors who now possess cartridge magazines to fit the Ruger 10/22 that can contain more than 10 cartridges will be commenced. The purpose of the action is to seek a judgement that these magazines are not prohibited, to declare the magazine capacity restrictions void as unconstitutional or in the alternative to force a buy-back of each at full retail value. A claim for the intentional infliction of mental distress due to the fear of police action and criminal charges will be included."

At this time, due to the controversy, importers, dealers and individual owners are advised to stop sales and transfers of all 10/22 high capacity (over 10 rounds) rifle magazines. Businesses are cautioned not to attempt to “pin” magazines unless their license specifically authorizes work on prohibited magazines.
    Individuals are advised not to use, transfer, dispose of, alter or modify, or transport these magazines at this time.

We are advising against businesses or their customers surrendering or returning these magazines to anyone at this time.

FROM BUSINESS OWNERS WE NEED:
    • A communication informing us of your willingness to participate in a class action lawsuit;
    • Brands and models of 10/22 +10 round capacity magazines currently in inventory and the value of the inventory;
    • Digital copies of any product packaging, manufacturers’ or distributors’ product sales information, product press releases you may possess;
    • Any information, actions or comments by your Chief Firearms Officer, Inspectors, RCMP or any other law enforcement agency.
    Business owners interested in joining the class action, are asked to email the above information to the CSAAA at csaaa.legalaction@gmail.com For more information call the CSAAA at 705-875-2302.

THERE IS NO COST TO BUSINESSES TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS LEGAL ACTION. However, donations to the CSAAA are welcome. Donations can be made at www.csaaa.org/donate.

"The recent decision to reverse position on Ruger 10/22 magazines holding over 10 cartridges is a deliberate move to cause serious worry to hundreds of thousands of Canadians, licenced firearms dealers and importers."

Edward Burlew, L.L.B., General Counsel for the CSSA

Copyright © 2016 Canadian Sporting Arms and Ammunition Association. All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
    PO Box 2343, Peterborough, ON K9J 7Y8
    Last edited by Wolverine .303; 10-04-2016 at 12:50 PM.

give em he**. this effects everyone in our community, id wager that even anti gun folk have used a 1022 in their life its just that common. heck i know alot of anti gun folk who are even say our firearms act seems like too much non sense

Quote Originally Posted by Elkelvo762 View Post
    give em he**. this effects everyone in our community, id wager that even anti gun folk have used a 1022 in their life its just that common. heck i know alot of anti gun folk who are even say our firearms act seems like too much non sense
    Time to ask your local dealer if they are taking part in this action. Support the dealers that support you!

Thanks for posting this.

If we allow the government to do whatever they want then surely they will.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer burnt_servo's Avatar
    I wonder if a "formal " invitation might be needed to all fire arms related businesses , then publish publicly all those that offer or refuse support .

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jmichelin84's Avatar
    The local shop here only buys what is popular, I asked him about this said it's not for me and laughed....
    Is it wrong to love the clack clack bang, but wanna run from a click tick lol

Quote Originally Posted by jmichelin84 View Post
    The local shop here only buys what is popular, I asked him about this said it's not for me and laughed....
    How are 10/22 mags not popular it seems everyone that has a PAL has owned a 10/22 at some point.

L

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jmichelin84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeliMD View Post
    How are 10/22 mags not popular it seems everyone that has a PAL has owned a 10/22 at some point.

L
    There is maybe 3 or 4 in my local area, I'm not sure the total number, we are more bolt action kind here I guess, I never owned a 10/22, only a couple of norinco jw-22 never worked right tho lol
    Is it wrong to love the clack clack bang, but wanna run from a click tick lol

Quote Originally Posted by burnt_servo View Post
    I wonder if a "formal " invitation might be needed to all fire arms related businesses , then publish publicly all those that offer or refuse support .
    With you on this one, I would 100% be more likely to support a business if they are working to help change the non effective gun laws in Canada. After all we are not talking about something that cost business owners money as it clearly states. A little bit of time and communication and thats it. Until we get the numbers behind some of these initiatives that show some of these politicians how this nonsense will effect them in VOTES, JOBS AND MONEY they will shrug it off as one more matter they can sidestep. In the long run if we can eliminate or even reduce the constant negativity the media is all to happy to portray surrounding firearms this will most certainly result in many more people getting into firearm related hobbies which is a big win for the greater good and businesses alike.

As with many instances in the courts, these actions often set a precedent which can potentially pave the way for more victories in the future. This is why it is imperative in my opinion to get behind these initiatives whether they directly effect you or not. Fragmentation within the community is not acceptable, next time it will potentially be your firearm of choice. I don't have a 10-22 at the moment but have spent many hours enjoying .22s shooting bottles and such. Possibly a little long winded for some but when I think about the direction our ridiculous gun laws are headed I get downright sour, when I think some idealist is planning to make such simple pleasures so much hassle for future generations such as my 11 month old daughter I know it is personally time to dig in and make a stand.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast