Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 689101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Unique insurance can protect gun owners against frivolous charges

CGN Ultra frequent flyer berger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NVShooter View Post
    Well that is just our point...are you really protecting yourself or is it just an illusion of protection. Not to be the Doubting Thomas, but I would just like to hear from someone who has really benefited from it.
    It is fairly new...if I am not mistaken...but I hope NOT to hear from someone who has had to use it. The free calls to a lawyer is worth the money alone, IMO. It is sad that we need something like this to protect ourselves from those sworn to "protect us," but it is what it is.
    Prost!

Berger

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by berger View Post
    ... It is sad that we need something like this to protect ourselves from those sworn to "protect us," but it is what it is.
    Agreed.

Perhaps someone who has just signed up can call and ask some legal questions and let us know how that goes.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    This seems a very reasonable price for peace of mind.... but I too would be interested in hearing from someone who has used the service in some way.

Thanks!

Mr. Wolverine, thanks for bringing this to our attention. I just signed up! It was a done deal when I found out the insurer for this program in Ontario was DAS Legal Protection. DAS Legal Protection is great and easy to deal with, there's nothing to worry about with them. My employer and union currently covers all of its employers/members with their legal plans. Any legal issues that arise while performing my duty on the job, or off duty on my personal time that will effect my employment is completely covered (municipal, provincial, and criminal offences). I've never had any issues which needed them, but I know co-workers who have and said they were amazing to deal with, it saved their careers, and DAS Legal made sure their family was taken care of while going through the legal issues.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Johnyy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NVShooter View Post
    Agreed.

Perhaps someone who has just signed up can call and ask some legal questions and let us know how that goes.
    "Random" Legal Questions are part of it? RIGHT!??

I took out this insurance before I bought my first gun, worth the money just for peice of mind knowing you have a lawyer on call when you need them.
    CSSA, CCFR, NFA, CPC and Ontario PC Member
    http://canadiangunrights.com for Letter/Email templates and campaigns

CGN Regular
    Just found out about this thread. Great stuff. I will be getting insurance and will test/utilize the legal advice offerings to see how they stand up and will report back. HOWEVER, I shouldn't be the only one calling in to do so...there are SO MANY questions that need to be answered right now!

How about these:

1. What type of signage and wording can be used to identify my property as being protected, and;
    a1. Should I act on defending the property based on that signage, what are my legal limits, both in regard to;
    - The Citizen's Arrest & Self Defense Act, Bill C-26 and;
    - Actual case history that aligns or deflects from these laws.

2. As a farm owner, my understanding is that I am allowed to keep a firearm for pest control handily available to my person. (this applies to my situation, it may not apply to yours)
    - Is this actually the case?
    - can the firearm be loaded? (defined as having the magazine inserted, not chambered)

3. If #2 is true and a situation involving the forced entry of an intruder occurs, I of course would not want them to acquire the firearm for use against me, therefore would take possession myself...what then?

Maybe I am being stubborn, but rather than 15 pages of posts of us asking each other whether these guys are legit, those with membership start calling in and asking relevant questions. Then we can post responses here or in another dedicated thread. And once the questions start flowing, we will know two things...one, whether this offer of unlimited legal advice is real, therefore giving us a better indication of whether or not the company would be there to stand behind us if something did happen and charges were pressed...and two, we will have compiled a database of questions pertinent to us as firearms owners, with answers from attorneys versed in the relevant code...as opposed to getting legal opinion from search engines.

Sorry if this sounded like a rant...is not intended to be, but let's put these guys to the test...not to induce unnecessary work on any one, but to get the answers we all want, but to which nobody really wanted to spend $400 an hour asking :-)

Darren

Thank-you for this thread.

I live in Quebec and will be inquiring about this coverage.

Thank-you.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by BadRonin View Post
    Very cool.... but A little late to the party.

I've had both legal defence insurance and free legal advice with my CCFR membership for about a year now.
    I just compared this Unique insurance to your CCFR/DAS insurance. The latest does not cover cases of self-defence. To me this is a major difference. Also I couldn't find the maximum claim per case with DAS, it's 100000$ with Unique.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    - George Mason

CGN Ultra frequent flyer LEXRated's Avatar
    I'm getting it, imagine what extra fighting power we all earn with even more legal might, I'm already in the 3 big gun groups, they have various coverage too. From a personal protection issue, these outward costs can only help me, perhaps not in every single diabolical possibility but not having any of these definitely won't help in any way. Any chance we can get the gun groups CSSA, CCFR, NFA to get into this? Add some more value to their membership plus with their might on top get even more power to the people?