Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121315 ... LastLast

Thread: Unique insurance can protect gun owners against frivolous charges

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Onagoth's Avatar
    People should read the draft policy before they buy, specifically the exclusions and limitations.

I for one, wont buy insurance that wont be there when i need it
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

CGN Ultra frequent flyer OneBarfly's Avatar
    My Livingroom Office: Ont - Marshes of the east
    This is a show-stopper for me:

"....5. Offers to settle a claim

(b) If you do not accept an offer we, based on the advice of the appointed representative, consider reasonable to settle a claim, we may refuse to pay further legal costs."

So, if the Crown offers a crappy deal, the insurance company can just say it was a reasonable offer in their opinion, so tough nuts to you. This section should be better defined for me to be comfortable with this clause.

Quote Originally Posted by OneBarfly View Post
    This is a show-stopper for me:

"....5. Offers to settle a claim

(b) If you do not accept an offer we, based on the advice of the appointed representative, consider reasonable to settle a claim, we may refuse to pay further legal costs."

So, if the Crown offers a crappy deal, the insurance company can just say it was a reasonable offer in their opinion, so tough nuts to you. This section should be better defined for me to be comfortable with this clause.
    #3 made me think twice.......

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Onagoth's Avatar
    Not to mention the policy document gives the insurer the right to cancel with 15 days notice. ...whose to say they dont cancel your policy the day after you notify them of a claim?
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

mine just came in the mail today, coincidence or what?!!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Outcast's Avatar
    One stop from 100 acres with a house in the middle
    Your products shelf life is only as good as its customers rating. If they pull cheap shots on claims that'll take 5 seconds to get around the firearms community and then no one buys your policies. Just saying... but for $95 a year, that's just a few less boxes of ammo and one has covered it. Even if you just get one hour of lawyer time covered, the policy has paid for itself.

I just paid that much for my kid to drive my truck on a new drivers licence. I figure I can swing a few bucks just be covered off for firearms stuff.

Has anyone compared this insurance policy to the CCFR insurance policy?

CCFR offers this and I signed up a while ago. Only makes sense
    When seconds matter, police are only minutes away!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ShawnC6's Avatar
    Nice to see this spreading. I've had it just over a year...

For the cheap price it's really good for the what if.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbravo2zero View Post
    That's a reasonable question. There are no "guarantees", just contracts.
    You must read the fine-print very carefully, paying particular attention to the exclusions. But if you want to truly understand the policy then you may have to spend a few bucks and speak to an insurance lawyer and get some advice. Normally, I would also recommend speaking to a really, really good insurance broker, but I doubt many are well versed in the in-and-outs of a niche-product like this.

Having said the above, generally speaking, it's a very good idea. (NB: I haven't read the policy yet.) My hourly rate for general legal advice (civil) is $500/hour. If I were in Toronto, it would likely be double that rate. Legal services get expensive, fast.
    Yes and it's absolutely illogical to have to pay 500 $ per hour for legal services. It's why the vast majority of the population are not able to defend themselves even when there is false accusation.

In fact i think it's a complete shame !
    Look how corporation works to break a single individual who try to bring them in court.

You really have to go in court couple days a year to see how our justice system is completely broke.

Judge and lawyer revel themselves in this system. They just make more money !