Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171820 ... LastLast

Thread: Unique insurance can protect gun owners against frivolous charges

You need to call Groupe Cyr & Lyras Toll Free: 1-855-847-1442 / info@cyrlyras.ca if you live in Quebec

It is. Its available in all provinces.

Its available in every province

The limits with Firearm Legal Defence are higher and the cost is actually lower. The cost is $85 to all firearm association members and its $108 through the CCFR

CGN frequent flyer
    I just bought it. I figure, for $100... its worth the risk given that the alternative is having $100 in your pocket but KNOWING you have NO protection. The only instance id need it is in the case of a completely unintentional and unplanned charge, in which case id be no worse of having it be fake VS not having at all.

Quote Originally Posted by D3vin View Post
    So I take it BC takes the back seat on this one?
    This is available in every province

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Jericho's Avatar
    In order for police to charge, they need both the illegal act and intent behind it. This insurance doesn't cover wilful acts - just about all acts are wilful. It provides an out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    In order for police to charge, they need both the illegal act and intent behind it. This insurance doesn't cover wilful acts - just about all acts are wilful. It provides an out.
    You can without knowing commit an illegal act which means you had no intent of breaking the law. In that case there is no wilful act because you did not have the intent to break the law.Cops can still charge you and this insurance will work for these types of cases.
    It won't work, for example, if you know the law but do everything to put yourself in a position where the lawyers know that you are a lost case, so why would they honor the insurance contract?

We all have insurance for our car right? Now let's say you get drunk and decide to drive the car.. You willfully drove the car knowing that you might get caught, and let's say you get into an accident.. Will you complain that the insurance company is screwing you because they refuse to pay for the damages?

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    Agree. It also states:

WHAT IS COVERED?

1. We will pay your legal costs to defend your
    legal rights in relation to your being prosecuted
    for an offence arising out of the use, storage,
    display, transportation or handling of a firearm

Wilful in the policy is "the results of which were consciously intended".

So how would a legalese expert actually interpret this? Acts which are wilfully illegal? i.e. intentially not stored with a trigger lock, or intentially used in commission of a crime?

What about intentionally used to defend oneself or a loved one? That is one of the purposes of the policy to begin with and I am not sure the "wilful clause" is an out in this case.

CGN Regular
    I signed up. Every firearm owner in Canada should have this. At the end of the day money talks and it is all the liberals understand.