Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2121415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Unique insurance can protect gun owners against frivolous charges

CGN frequent flyer Doug The Canuck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek13 View Post
    Anything available in Ontario like this ?
    Yes. I bought it. Before you sign up, find the CSSA discount word to save $10. It isn'y good enough to tell them you are a CSSA member. In order to correct this mistake, you have to cancel your insurance and sign up again.......sort of like the government . This needs to be fixed.

My concern is: Will they advise you to plead guilty to a charge just to take the easy way out.

Pleading guilty to a fiearms charge when you aren't guilty is a fool's game.
    CSSA, NRA, NSCA Instructor, OFAH

Gun Control Is Like Trying To Prevent Drunk Driving By Making It Harder For Sober Drivers To Own Cars

My concern is: Will they advise you to plead guilty to a charge just to take the easy way out.
    They will do their best to prove you not guilty. Sometimes this is impossible.
    CSSA, NRA Swag Owner

I'm very happy to have an option like this in Canada. FWIW, even in the US where they have much better laws, firearms legal defense is still highly recommended.

I listen to Gun Talk and they brought on a guest that had drawn his weapon in self-defense against someone that was approaching his vehicle with a bat and issuing verbal threats. The bad guy retreated and he drove off thinking that was the end of the situation until state troopers pulled him over and arrested him. The person that had made threats against him called the police and told him he was in the parking lot waving his gun around making threats against people's lives. He was charged with terroristic threats and various gun-related charges. The prosecutor pressed forward with the case. He eventually won his case but the cost to him personally was tens of thousands of dollars. The DA prosecuted even though the account of the accuser was inaccurate in saying it was a revolver instead of a semi-auto handgun among other inaccuracies and outright lies.

Our law, by contrast, has been specifically written to give prosecutors lots of leeway to should they not approve of our actions. The Thompson case was a flagrant example of that. Thankfully it's not too common. But $95 a year seems well worth the piece of mind.

So,

Has anyone in Canada used this insurance to date?

https://firearmrights.ca/en/insurance/

What did you pay in total / results / comments?
    Make certain that you Enjoy life! You are never going to be younger than you are today.

What a fantastic idea. We shouldn't have to choose between defending our lives or our financial stability in a horrific home invasion situation anyway. Right on. Glad something like that is in place. Something that defends the livelihood of Canadian citizens. Very cool.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer LuckyLuc82's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NHunter View Post
    So,

Has anyone in Canada used this insurance to date?

https://firearmrights.ca/en/insurance/

What did you pay in total / results / comments?

Price includes tax. It's great for what it is, charges from storage, transportation, use, display, self defence, and licensing are covered. Read the wordings and make an informed decision .

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
    “The crowns are using the process as the punishment, and they’ll go forward with charges they know are frivolous charges or incorrect charges in order to weigh a punishment on this person because they can’t get a conviction, so they’ll punish you financially.”

I'd like to know about the possibility of counter-suits for malicious prosecution, if that's even a thing here.
    The Crown has bottomless pockets. How about you?
    Space for rent.

CGN frequent flyer
    I did speak to Zach at Capri about this a week or two ago. Sounds like most people are buying this to cover legal fees when self defense comes into play. While I am interested in that I am also concerned about charges for use of Beowulf mags and the like. My concern was the policy reads that willful use of prohibited devices is excluded from coverage and wanted this clarified. What I was told is that the current underwriter is not fully on board that Beowulf mags are technically legal as per the firearms act and that they are working to reach an understanding. Until this is clarified I am not going to risk using them in the bush. He was able to share that they have a new underwriter that will include the magazines and all new policies will go to that company. They are also working to have coverage extended to people that bought the original policies. Hope I never need it but sure makes me a lot more comfortable knowing its in place.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sailor723's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b_w. View Post
    I did speak to Zach at Capri about this a week or two ago. Sounds like most people are buying this to cover legal fees when self defense comes into play. While I am interested in that I am also concerned about charges for use of Beowulf mags and the like. My concern was the policy reads that willful use of prohibited devices is excluded from coverage and wanted this clarified. What I was told is that the current underwriter is not fully on board that Beowulf mags are technically legal as per the firearms act and that they are working to reach an understanding. Until this is clarified I am not going to risk using them in the bush. He was able to share that they have a new underwriter that will include the magazines and all new policies will go to that company. They are also working to have coverage extended to people that bought the original policies. Hope I never need it but sure makes me a lot more comfortable knowing its in place.
    I just renewed about a week ago ....wonder if I'm with the new underwriter or the original one now? Guess a phone call to Capri may be in order.

As far as the Beowulf mags are concerned I would think no one really knows if the lab's interpretation is correct or not until a court decides the issue. Although it certainly wouldn't be the first time an insurance company denied coverage on pretty thin grounds.
    Fan of Browning Hi-Powers and both S&W and Colt revolvers

CGN Regular
    Tagged