Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tac Ordance Versa Max 3 in or 3.5 in?

Tac Ordance Versa Max 3 in or 3.5 in?

Silly question. I am looking at the Tac Ordance Versa Max. Very close to pulling the trigger but wold like to confirm if this is a 3 inch shotgun or 3.5 inch. The next question will be load capacity for 2.75 incheck if you know what I mean.

Hey Steve,
    Versa Max Tactical is stamped for 3". However it is the same as the other Versa Max's with the 3.5" stamp and it will definitely take 3.5" shells. Believe I read that Remington decided to change the stamp on the tactical to 3" because of some sort of concern about longer loading tube of the tactical might cause folding issues or some such with to many 3.5" shells in the tube. Gun will however handle 3.5" shells fine.

Problem of course for us Canadian 3 Gunners with the 3" stamp on the Tactical is it translates in to fewer 2.75" shells that we can legally load in it. With the extended tube among other mods Casey at Tac Ord has done on mine I can load 9 2.75" shells in my versa max tactical. Can't recall however if this is before or after my ghost load. Will check and get back to you.

If however you're shooting one of your Madoc 3 Gun matches Steve you don't allow us to load to capacity anyway Does this mean if you get a versa max from Casey the load restrictions will be lifted at your matches If so I highly encourage you to go for it

What are you currently running and what's the load capacity on it?

Yep, with the mods Casey has done my Versa Max Tactical will fit ~7.6 2.75" shells in the tube. With one in the chamber and a second ghost loaded you've got 9 2.75" shells to start....that is if the match allows you to load to capacity

Have anyone ever tried to just get a print out of the FRT to show any LEO that the gun is a 3.5" chamber and just load to 7 2.75" shells for the versamax tactical?

Thanks for confirming, Norm.

We do allow ghost load at Madoc 3 Gun except for the classifiers that specified the start condition. I am running pump (590A1) right now 8+1 rounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northaways View Post
    Hey Steve,
    Versa Max Tactical is stamped for 3". However it is the same as the other Versa Max's with the 3.5" stamp and it will definitely take 3.5" shells. Believe I read that Remington decided to change the stamp on the tactical to 3" because of some sort of concern about longer loading tube of the tactical might cause folding issues or some such with to many 3.5" shells in the tube. Gun will however handle 3.5" shells fine.

Problem of course for us Canadian 3 Gunners with the 3" stamp on the Tactical is it translates in to fewer 2.75" shells that we can legally load in it. With the extended tube among other mods Casey at Tac Ord has done on mine I can load 9 2.75" shells in my versa max tactical. Can't recall however if this is before or after my ghost load. Will check and get back to you.

If however you're shooting one of your Madoc 3 Gun matches Steve you don't allow us to load to capacity anyway Does this mean if you get a versa max from Casey the load restrictions will be lifted at your matches If so I highly encourage you to go for it

What are you currently running and what's the load capacity on it?
    Last edited by stevezli; 10-07-2016 at 02:47 PM.

And is that all legal? I was debating on whether to buy a 3.5 inch gun from Casey or the tactical model in 3". I was thinking you'd only get one extra shell in the magazine and not two.

just a little confused here, because I thought all along we will base the mag limits to what is stamp on the bbl, regardless of the actual lenght of the chamber.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer beltfed's Avatar
    Manufacturer's literature indicates all of the Versamax models are chambered for 3.5" shells, and that is further exemplified by the design of the gas ports within the chamber.
    I could be wrong, but I very much doubt the RCMP would challenge this, regardless of what is stamped on the barrel.
    Life Member CCFR and CSSA
    Posts made by the pseudonym "Beltfed" may not accurately reflect the beliefs and opinions of the Registered User.

The Versamax tactical is a grey area shotgun for semi auto centre fire.
    The manual states: "The firearm is capable of firing successive shots with 2 3/4, 3, and 3 1/2 inch shotshell cartridges interchangeably.". But seeing as the barrel is stamped 3", ultimately if there is an issue it would be 'up to the Judge' to decide. Either way, if this is contested you can lose the firearm and have to fight to get it back.
    Is this likely to happen? Probably not.

Another option is to buy the 3.5" sportsman and send it to Casey at TacOrd for refitting. The sportsman has a longer barrel (26/28) but is cheaper, so having Casey shorten the barrel basically evens itself out.
    Peace through superior firepower.
    Member: NFA, CCFR & CSSA

Casey also has the letter from Remington that tells the story directly from the manufacturer themselves...
    All versamax tacticals are designed with the 3.5 receiver and can chamber 3.5 shotshells. I can't imagine any crown counsel can raise an argument to screw you over if you present that as evidence.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast