Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Firearms Disposal/ Removal, Please Share With Your Loved Ones

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Claybuster View Post
    On several occasions I have thwarted unscrupulous dealers who were trying to screw over widows on valuable firearms. Understanding that you have a business to run and must make a profit does Reliable pay what a neutral third party observer would consider a fair price to people who use the service?
    good question...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by SparTaNs View Post
    good question...
    Is it?

People are going from expecting $0 for the old guns they want to be rid of, to being offered cash for them.

Quote Originally Posted by rkm456 View Post
    Is it?

People are going from expecting $0 for the old guns they want to be rid of, to being offered cash for them.
    It's not an unreasonable question when a business asks you and me to "share this with our loved ones" in the context of "historical and sentimental value, collector and museum condition." There is a long history of dealers lying outright about a gun's value to bereaved family members and then turning a massive profit on it. Dealers even have a name for them; "widows guns."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Trimmer 905's Avatar
    It's not an unreasonable question when a business asks you and me to "share this with our loved ones" in the context of "historical and sentimental value, collector and museum condition." There is a long history of dealers lying outright about a gun's value to bereaved family members and then turning a massive profit on it. Dealers even have a name for them; "widows guns."
    We have local dealers who do this on a regular basis. That's SOP industry wide,although,in all fairness,they ensure values are close to wholesale. Most people just want rid of them for whatever they can get as long as it's reasonably fair (very important if one happens to be an Executor.) I cringe to think how many unwitting survivors have left large amounts of money on the table for the sake of expedience.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Oh, so you're outright accusing them of taking advantage of people. Got it.

I really like this. My grandfather is still alive but he, for some reason destroyed an old break action 12g way back in the day. He still has an old .22 bolt action that I would love to aquire in the future. I would be sad if it was destroyed in the future and no one got a chance to enjoy it if not I were around. I will have to pass the onto him.

FWIW, I have dealt with Reliable in the past and was impressed with their conduct. If it's just selling a collection, do it in consignment +\- a pickup fee. Dealer makes more/you make more win/win. If it's dealing with transferring to a family member, possibly storing firearms for a period, dealing with the RCMP etc. the service is the going rate. Definitely better than what the RCMP can give you.

We should start a thread of similar services across the country, recommended dealers, ideas/suggestions to make it easier for families who end up in a similar circumstance. One things for sure, making sure your family knows what you have and having a plan to deal with it is the best way to make sure they get fair value. Speaking of which, I need to add one of my gun buddies to my will to sell/look after my firearms for my kids in case my wife and I both die at the same time.

Pound of Fire
    Super Moderator
    Now this is AWESOME!

Cheers
    Jay
    Wing Nut

"No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

CGN Regular
    I'm lucky enough to have a 30 year old daughter with an RPAL, and a grandaughter who will get minor liscence at 12, so I shouldn't have to worry. As for Reliable, they have to be one of the best places to deal with, I don't think they would risk that reputation. Wouldn't take long to get around if they were offering a widow $200.00 for a $10,000.00 Krieghoff.

Shared.
    Harriston Pistol Club, CSSA

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast