Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting season is here again! That means its CONTEST time again!UPDATE!PRIZE info!

Expired Industry Member

Hunting season is here again! That means its CONTEST time again!UPDATE!PRIZE info!

Greetings gents,
    As we all know, hunting season is in full swing! All of us here at Gravel are super, and most of us have already been on some epic and successful hunts. This is the best time of year for some many people, that we just cant get enough! We love seeing the photos and hearing the stories from all of our friends, and we want to share them with you all, and hear yours too! Here is the first of ours, from a recent trip to Leaf River, Quebec. Our Senior VP flew in with some of our valued clients and friends. Here is his story and his gear: Remington 700 LS TH in 30.06, shooting Barnes TTSX BT 168 Gr ammo, topped with a Leupold VX3-3.5-10. Perfect conditions, 1 km stalk in fully open space.Wind was in our favour, sunny and mild temperature. This Bull was with 6 cows and calf,had to wait for him to clear a hill so we could run a few hundred yards and catch up to him. Took him down with one shot at 218 yards! Leaf River is an incredibly beautiful part of our great country, if you ever have the chance, go! http://www.leafriverlodge.com/
    Name:  Hugo-caribou-2016.jpg
Views: 1955
Size:  39.1 KB
    Name:  leaf-river-plane.jpg
Views: 1952
Size:  49.6 KB
    Name:  leaf-river-lights.jpg
Views: 1954
Size:  18.7 KB

And now, for the contest! Post in this thread your very best trophy picture, along with your story and some other great pics and you will be eligible to win a fabulous prize! This contest starts today, and runs until November 12, 2016!

The member who posts the best story/photo in this thread will receive a super duper Remington 597 FREE!!

Name:  Model597-Synthetic.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  9.7 KB
    (Scope not included with prize)
    Last edited by Gravel Agency; 10-26-2016 at 02:45 PM.

Please delete.
    Last edited by Thunderhog; 03-04-2017 at 10:37 PM.

Expired Industry Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhog View Post
    My wife's first bull elk! A symmetrical 6X6. Her story is as follows: We spotted the bull with 10-12 cows, although we bugled he was only interested in dogging his cows. With numerous cow talking we slipped into 205 yards. A steady lean and one shot was all it took, the majestic animal succumbed in 120 yards.

Her gear was a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 7mm-08, hand-loaded with a 140 grain Fail-safe bullet. A Nikon 2-10X40 Stainless Pro-Staff Scope.

Attachment 69927
    Very nice! Congrats.

When my little brother and I were kids, dad was hunting with our uncles. Along the years hunting with them, he never really saw anything. When we both reached legal hunting age, he inscribed us to the usual hunter's classes and brought us small game hunting with our cousin. He didn't hunt, he just walked along with us. Then, when we were 17 and 15, we scored a very promising hunting spot but we didn't have a car. Dad brought us there EVERY week-end of bow and black powder season for about 3 years. He didn't hunt. He just dropped us on friday's, go back home, and brign us back the folowing sunday. We had a blast ! ! ! Then dad got sick and had his colon removed, and an artifical hip. Thankfully, my Bro and I were adults by then and had cars and everything. Dad couldn't come with us but he still called us every weekend of hunting season to know what had happened during the week end. If we killed a deer, dad was ALWAYS the first one to know !

Couple years later My brother and I now have kids. My fiancee is a dairy farmer and owns many, MANY acres of fields and wood. My brother and I have been hunting here (I live on the farm) along with a childhood friend of ours, for the past 8 years. 3 years ago, my brother, our friend (who is like a brother to us) decided that dad would know what it feels like to harvest a mature witetail. So the ''project'' took form. We spent a lot of time durint the 2013 summer to build a blind that would suit our dad. We installed it at a location where we could brign him to and back with a 4-wheeler.

for 2 years, dad came with us but only saw fawns or big deer just minutes after legal time.... He still had a blast, we all did. Since I live on the farm, ''the crew'' sleeps over, we eat together, just like any hunting camp but just more luxurious. Dad sais it's the best of both worlds: being able to hunt with his sons during the day, then being able to playing with his grand kids in the evening.......... But, untill 2015, he didn't get a shot on a deer.

Last season, I had just started a new job so I couldn't take a lot of time off. My friend Dan stayed home with dad and took him hunting almost every day. On the second wednesday it all happened. I got a call from Dan at work. Dad had just took a shot on a ''big deer''. He explains that dad had a doe, in range but he decided not to shoot because she always lookes back.... he knew what that meant.... The buck came out 20 minutes later and he took the shot. I came home, and my brother, who was also working that day, also reunited with us for the search. It didn't took long. Dad took a perfect shot, 90 yards to the heart and got his first mature buck at age 69!

This day will be engraqved in our minds forever !

Last edited by simonyzer; 10-15-2016 at 05:32 PM.
    PGW fan

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Come on nov 12th lol gonna have to be on the ball this year. Deer season doesn't open till Nov 7th lol.
    Hearts and Minds; Two best places to shoot
    Fighting in a basement provides challenges, Number 1 your fighting in a basement!

I posted this in another thread but here is this years moose. I haven't moose hunted in over a decade and this is the largest bull I've taken. Went in a little later than I had been all week, sun was up for about 20 minutes or so, Thanksgiving day. As i was coming down a large hill I spotted him down and to my right, stopped and gave a cow call. Apparently I'm no good at that because he really didn't care for it and started to walk away so I gave a couple bull grunts and he stopped immediately. As I watched him I was wondering if I even wanted to get into this situation. From where I was parked immediately outside my passenger door was a 40 foot drop, I did notice one set of truck tracks down there so I figured what the hell. Pulled out my gun and loaded one in the chamber and two in the tube. He started for the trees but I knew there was a creek behind so I watched his direction as I headed down the hill, he turned south or to my right and I headed that direction to cut him off. When he popped back out I was about 250yds away, I gave a couple grunts and again he stopped. I walked in to about 60yds grunting a couple more times and he never moved at all, stood broadside the entire time. I crouched a bit and had to tell myself to breathe since I was shaking so hard full of adrenaline. Took one shot and I knew that was it, he moved about 10 feet and stopped, I took a second shot just to be sure (which was a bit further back than I would like) . Hiked up to the truck and drove in. I was alone so it took a while to get him out, 5 hours to gut, skin, quarter and load. As I was finishing it started to snow and never stopped for the rest of the day. Shot him with my Mossberg 835 with a rifled slug barrel I bought off a fellow CGN member a few years ago(just the barrel), Bushnell 1-4x scope and 300 grain Hornady SST sabot slugs. I'm in a shotgun/muzzleloader zone, no rifles if you're wondering my choice in gun. Buying a slug barrel was cheaper than a new muzzleloader. Both slugs were pulled out of the ribs on the other side and only one mushroomed. I hate that scope and that day ordered a Nikon Prostaff Slug Hunter 3-9X40 which is here now but not mounted yet. Took the head to a taxidermist yesterday and am getting a European mount done. I know it's not the largest rack but out of 5 bulls in the last 20 years that I've shot this one is the biggest.

He was at the far end of the grass area just right of center and the hill is a lot bigger than it looks in this picture

Expired Industry Member
    Quote Originally Posted by simonyzer View Post
    When my little brother and I were kids, dad was hunting with our uncles. Along the years hunting with them, he never really saw anything. When we both reached legal hunting age, he inscribed us to the usual hunter's classes and brought us small game hunting with our cousin. He didn't hunt, he just walked along with us. Then, when we were 17 and 15, we scored a very promising hunting spot but we didn't have a car. Dad brought us there EVERY week-end of bow and black powder season for about 3 years. He didn't hunt. He just dropped us on friday's, go back home, and brign us back the folowing sunday. We had a blast ! ! ! Then dad got sick and had his colon removed, and an artifical hip. Thankfully, my Bro and I were adults by then and had cars and everything. Dad couldn't come with us but he still called us every weekend of hunting season to know what had happened during the week end. If we killed a deer, dad was ALWAYS the first one to know !

Couple years later My brother and I now have kids. My fiancee is a dairy farmer and owns many, MANY acres of fields and wood. My brother and I have been hunting here (I live on the farm) along with a childhood friend of ours, for the past 8 years. 3 years ago, my brother, our friend (who is like a brother to us) decided that dad would know what it feels like to harvest a mature witetail. So the ''project'' took form. We spent a lot of time durint the 2013 summer to build a blind that would suit our dad. We installed it at a location where we could brign him to and back with a 4-wheeler.

for 2 years, dad came with us but only saw fawns or big deer just minutes after legal time.... He still had a blast, we all did. Since I live on the farm, ''the crew'' sleeps over, we eat together, just like any hunting camp but just more luxurious. Dad sais it's the best of both worlds: being able to hunt with his sons during the day, then being able to playing with his grand kids in the evening.......... But, untill 2015, he didn't get a shot on a deer.

Last season, I had just started a new job so I couldn't take a lot of time off. My friend Dan stayed home with dad and took him hunting almost every day. On the second wednesday it all happened. I got a call from Dan at work. Dad had just took a shot on a ''big deer''. He explains that dad had a doe, in range but he decided not to shoot because she always lookes back.... he knew what that meant.... The buck came out 20 minutes later and he took the shot. I came home, and my brother, who was also working that day, also reunited with us for the search. It didn't took long. Dad took a perfect shot, 90 yards to the heart and got his first mature buck at age 69!

Great post, thanks for sharing!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by simonyzer View Post

This story would bring tears in a Vegan/PETA magazine. The best example of a true Canadian family! Thanks for sharing!
    Planning on living forever. So far, so good!

Sad news........ Yesterday some A-- Hole Came off roading in our woods and fields destroying everything. His trashbin (Truck) broke in the field. He just left it there after removing the licence plate, if there were any. We called police and they had it towed away.......

This morning, Dads stand was put on the ground....... Some people just deserve a big smackdown......
    PGW fan

Wow that's rude, they definitely deserve a smackdown. Even without the plate being on the vehicle they should be able to figure out who it was registered to using the VIN #. Hopefully they find them

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast